Aussies buying OBC

Hi all,

I have been reading on CC for awhile as we have booked a cruise on Liberty in June having previously sailed on Radiance in Feb 2014.

I was hoping to share some info - and find out from other Australian cruisers if they have experienced the same. I was reading on a thread about the falling dollar in Canada and the Canadian experience of buying OBC at a better exchange rate through RCI. I rang RC Australia yesterday and enquired about the exchange rate if I bought OBC for our upcoming cruise. The info I received (which I was highly skeptical of) was the the exchange was 1:1. I asked in several different ways and kept being told if I purchased $800 (and it cost me AUD$800) I would receive US$800 in OBC. I went ahead and did it and rang back later to check and was told my reservation shows $800 OBC in US$. Has any other Australian cruiser had a similar experience?

Hi all,

I have been reading on CC for awhile as we have booked a cruise on Liberty in June having previously sailed on Radiance in Feb 2014.

I was hoping to share some info - and find out from other Australian cruisers if they have experienced the same. I was reading on a thread about the falling dollar in Canada and the Canadian experience of buying OBC at a better exchange rate through RCI. I rang RC Australia yesterday and enquired about the exchange rate if I bought OBC for our upcoming cruise. The info I received (which I was highly skeptical of) was the the exchange was 1:1. I asked in several different ways and kept being told if I purchased $800 (and it cost me AUD$800) I would receive US$800 in OBC. I went ahead and did it and rang back later to check and was told my reservation shows $800 OBC in US$. Has any other Australian cruiser had a similar experience?

Great info. I booked through a Travel Agent and when I call to ask questions RCL defer me back to the TA. Did you just call the number listed? or is there another number Thanks

Hi all,

Called back after booking mine and told that I have usd equivalent of the aussie $amount that I purchased. Sure wish I could see this on my booking.

Ok. I bought AUD 1500 today and they have assured me that it will show as USD1500 on my OBC and I can withdraw this as cash if I choose

A great deal if it works.

I also rang this morning and purchased $1000 obc. So glad I saw this thread. Aussie dollar not looking good. This is a great deal (if it works). My email confirmation shows I have purchased in AUD but doesn't actually say that my obc is in USD. We will find out on 16 March.

So glad I saw this thread. Aussie dollar not looking good.

As an American who was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago before boarding a Celebrity cruise to New Zealand, and who will be flying back to Sydney on Saturday before boarding the Rhapsody on Feb 17th for an 11 night cruise up to Cairns and back, I think the Aussie dollar is looking great, lol!! :D

But in all seriousness, I hope that this obc deal works out for you. A 1:1 exchange rate would be fantastic!

Edited by MadManOfBethesda

As an American who was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago before boarding a Celebrity cruise to New Zealand, and who will be flying back to Sydney on Saturday before boarding the Rhapsody on Feb 17th for an 11 night cruise up to Cairns and back, I think the Aussie dollar is looking great, lol!! :D

I can imagine. We only wish the USD had returned the favour!