New Orleans - Travel Insurance

ev8876

Hi. We are booked on the November 24 Sensation cruise out of New Orleans. We booked the air flights oursleves, not through Carnival. Does anyone know if the travel insurance (TravelSafe) covers the cost if we have to cancel our flights to New Orleans and rebook flights to Galveston (assuming they don't get the Sensation back in New Orleans by this time). Thanks.

You should call your airlines. We had a cruise on the Paradise cancelled in summer of 2000 and we rebooked for december of that year and the airline changed our airfare for no charge. We were lucky at the time and Carnival was going to pay the extra cost but there wasn't one.

The airlines will allow you to change your tickets without the change fee, if New Orleans is still closed by then. You will have to pay the fare difference, though, if there is any, for changing the cities.

New Orleans (MSY)

Southwest Airlines has discontinued scheduled service to/from MSY through Friday, September 2. The resumption of service remains contingent upon the condition of the airport facilities, runways, and airport service providers.

We are allowing Customers holding reservations to/from MSY after 6:00 PM CT on Friday, August 26 through Friday, September 2 to rebook their reservations in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge. Customers holding reservations for a flight that has been cancelled to/from MSY, and who have not traveled, may rebook or request a refund.

Additionally, Customers originally booked to travel to MSY between August 26 and September 9 may change their reservations to travel to Houston Hobby (HOU), Nashville (BNA), or Birmingham (BHM) at no additional charge. The original departure city must remain the same, and all rebooked travel must be completed by September 30.

Customers originally booked to travel from MSY between August 26 and September 9 may change their reservations to leave from HOU, BNA, or BHM at no additional charge. The original arrival city must remain the same, and all rebooked travel must be completed by September 30.

We invite you to please visit Flight Status Information and/or sign up for our convenient Flight Status Messaging to receive the latest information regarding your flight. We encourage our Ticketless Travel Customers to visit the Travel Center on southwest.com to cancel, change, and/or rebook their flight reservations. You may contact our toll free Reservations (1-800-435-9792) for additional assistance. We also invite our cruise Customers to contact Southwest Cruises (1-888-744-7792) for cruise line information.

Please read our recommendations for travel during inclement weather.

ev. Major questions. Did you notify the insurance company that you had booked air and want it covered? Obviously the self-booked air adds to the insurance company's exposure to risk by the additional cost of air. Always purchase insurance to cover the entire risk. All you need to do when adding to the risk is call the insurance company to add the new items to be covered and pay any additional premium. If you own and insure a house and then decide to add a detached garage or an addition to the house, you should amend the policy so that you are insured to full value. You are only covered for the amount in the original application and contract.

When I ordered the insurance, I specified everything. I was not told by anyone that my airfare changes would not be covered if I booked the air on my own..and not thru a travel agency...until I called yesterday and asked them "what if" due to this storm. That's when they told me...so I had some nice things to tell them in return. Needless to say, I got a refund of my money.

Archived