To UBP or to UDP; that is the question

numberguy

Hi everyone,

Just booked a cruise on the Escape, Oceanview. That means we get UBP or UDP or $75pp in OBC. OBC is not worth it to us.

Here's the issue: My DF (Dear Fiance) Chad wants the UBP. I want the UDP, and we have to get the same thing since we're in the same cabin.

I drink maybe one alcoholic drink per day, but I definitely eat. Chad drinks a bit more than I do, but I talked him into our signing up for the UDP.

Then we began talking. With this sale going on where everyone can get one or the other, does that mean a bunch of people will sign up for the UDP, making getting the restaurant you want at anytime near the time you want to be next to impossible? Also, with only so many specialty restaurants, this potential overcrowding could get difficult to deal with. BUT, if we don't sign up for the UDP, we may not be able to get into any specialty restaurant with everyone else who has signed up for UDP.

However, with UBP, bars are everywhere, they probably won't run out of liquor or sodas, and he can drink to his liver's content.

Then there's the value: UDP is $119 per person for a seven-day cruise; if I calculate correctly, UBP is $434.70 per person for a seven-day cruise.

I'm starting to see his point of view, and might change our reservation to UBP. What are your thoughts? Am I worrying too much about the dining situation? And will NCL let us change (we don't sail until November 28, 2015)?

--Michael

Edited by numberguy
typo

This same question about changing the promo after booking was just brought up a few posts away.

My recommendation is to call NCL or TA, depending on who you booked through for the answer. In the other post, some have had luck changing, some not so lucky.

As to either UDP or UBP, I would pay for the UDP and get the UBP promo since one of 2 of you drink a tad more then the other.

Question is, will he drink about 7-8 drinks a day to make it worth getting the UBP? I figure that is the break even point.

If not, stick with UDP and pay drink for drink. You will make out better that way in the end money wise.

Unlimited Beverage Package - there is no way to drink (alcohol, sodas, lemonade, etc.) for free on the cruise and you will want something to drink. In your case you may only want a glass of wine in the evening, but with the UBP you could also order a virgin pina colada by the pool deck on a hot day; it isn't just alcoholic drinks that are covered with that plan.

You can eat at lots of complimentary places so you won't starve without the UDP. If you want to eat at a specialty restaurant you just have to pay the upcharge for that one place for that one night.

*By the way some may reply that lemonade is complimentary, but it isn't in NCL's list online so I'm not banking on it, perhaps it varies by ship.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!

More to the point, if you are likely to drink more than about five drinks between you per day, then the UBP is a better value than the UDP! Five is not a lot when you think of a beer at lunch, a couple of cocktails throughout the day and maybe a glass of wine with dinner.

That's the real break even point, not the cost of the UBP. Anything over that and it's worth getting it and paying for the UDP.

As for 'everyone' getting the dining package, you'd be surprised at how few people actually have it andif and ur trip on the Dawn two weeks ago is anything to go by, there were no problems in getting a table in any of the restaurants (apart from Teppenyaki, which did require advanced booking, especially during the busy hours.

We have cruised 8 times with NCL and the only free beverages are tap water, coffee, tea, iced tea and flavoured water from the dispenser in the buffet. You can also get milk or juices at breakfast. We are doing a European cruise to the Mediterranean this August and were able to get BOTH the UDP and UBP which for us is a value of $2153 for the 12 night cruise. There are three of us, so the third person gets unlimited sodas, not alcoholic drinks.

Unlimited Beverage Package - there is no way to drink (alcohol, sodas, lemonade, etc.) for free on the cruise and you will want something to drink. In your case you may only want a glass of wine in the evening, but with the UBP you could also order a virgin pina colada by the pool deck on a hot day; it isn't just alcoholic drinks that are covered with that plan.

You can eat at lots of complimentary places so you won't starve without the UDP. If you want to eat at a specialty restaurant you just have to pay the upcharge for that one place for that one night.

*By the way some may reply that lemonade is complimentary, but it isn't in NCL's list online so I'm not banking on it, perhaps it varies by ship.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!

Minor detail but it's "Ultimate" not "Unlimited". :)

Hi everyone,

Just booked a cruise on the Escape, Oceanview. That means we get UBP or UDP or $75pp in OBC. OBC is not worth it to us.

Here's the issue: My DF (Dear Fiance) Chad wants the UBP. I want the UDP, and we have to get the same thing since we're in the same cabin.

I drink maybe one alcoholic drink per day, but I definitely eat. Chad drinks a bit more than I do, but I talked him into our signing up for the UDP.

Then we began talking. With this sale going on where everyone can get one or the other, does that mean a bunch of people will sign up for the UDP, making getting the restaurant you want at anytime near the time you want to be next to impossible? Also, with only so many specialty restaurants, this potential overcrowding could get difficult to deal with. BUT, if we don't sign up for the UDP, we may not be able to get into any specialty restaurant with everyone else who has signed up for UDP.

However, with UBP, bars are everywhere, they probably won't run out of liquor or sodas, and he can drink to his liver's content.

Then there's the value: UDP is $119 per person for a seven-day cruise; if I calculate correctly, UBP is $434.70 per person for a seven-day cruise.

I'm starting to see his point of view, and might change our reservation to UBP. What are your thoughts? Am I worrying too much about the dining situation? And will NCL let us change (we don't sail until November 28, 2015)?

--Michael

If both of you drink (even just a little) UBP makes more sense. I believe you can get smoothies, soda and virgin drinks for free as well with UBP.

My DH does not drink a drop, so we have to get the UDP.

Don't look at what they would cost to buy

Look at what you normally spend.

A speciality restaurant($15-$40) is 2-6 drinks worth.

Even if only one of you drinks it get hard to make to the UDP work out better unless you are in Cagnies every night with the extra charge item.

We got the free UBP and are planning to buy the UDP.

The UDP is $120 each. I guarantee we'll each drink more than $120 worth of beverages on the cruise which is all we need to do to come out ahead.

We have been struggling with this as well...we currently got the UDP because there are 4 of us in the cabin so we can all benefit from it (3 adults and 1 child). I like the idea of being to eat at all the specialty restaurants..I think it's hard to convince DH it's worth it to pay the surcharge. But we've generally been happy with the main dining room on most ships, so we may not miss it?

I just don't know that we'd drink enough to make the UBP package. My DH definitely could, but I think I wouldn't. Plus, my MIL only drinks tea which is free so she couldn't utilize the package at all, whereas the dining she would. So I know in numbers sense, it makes sense to do the UBP, but I feel like we'd get more bang for our buck when it comes to all 4 of us.

I'll point out (and no flames please) that another solution is to spend a little more for a suite. Then you get the OBC, UDP, and UBP all included, plus the amenities and the butler. With a weekly value of $1500-$2500 claimed, it is easier to justify the numbers.

Don't look at what they would cost to buy

Look at what you normally spend.

A speciality restaurant($15-$40) is 2-6 drinks worth.

Even if only one of you drinks it get hard to make to the UDP work out better unless you are in Cagnies every night with the extra charge item.

Should have added that if you do plan to dine a lot you can cap it with the purchase of the UDP.

Don't forget if platinum you have some in the bag already.

Should have added that if you do plan to dine a lot you can cap it with the purchase of the UDP.

Don't forget if platinum you have some in the bag already.

Nope, we're gold. We'll be platinum after this cruise, though,

--Michael

I'll point out (and no flames please) that another solution is to spend a little more for a suite. Then you get the OBC, UDP, and UBP all included, plus the amenities and the butler. With a weekly value of $1500-$2500 claimed, it is easier to justify the numbers.

Thanks for that thought, but we're already cruising above any level we've ever cruised before with an oceanview. All others have been obstructed oceanviews or insides.

--Michael

Thank you everyone. I just emailed my PCC to see if he can make the change to UBP.

Besides, it's our first Caribbean cruise--we HAVE to have at least one drink with an umbrella in it!

--Michael

And once he finally called me back, the switch was made with no problem.

--Michael

UBP is the MUCH better choice. Here is a breakdown that will help you decide (for us is was a no brainer).

UDP is worth about $15 a day/per person.

Drinks on the ship are ~$6.25 per beer, $8 a mixed drink, 6-10 per glass of wine. As you can see from these prices it takes VERY VERY little drinking to be ahead with the UBP over the UDP.

An often overlooked benefit of the UBP is the ability to try new things without risk. Order a new type of wine. Order a cocktail that you might not have otherwise tried. Have that Mimosa with breakfast. This freedom awesome. In the end I would get the UBP for free, and if you want just add UDP and you will be far ahead with an "All Inclusive" cruise.

6&8

UBP is the MUCH better choice. Here is a breakdown that will help you decide (for us is was a no brainer).

UDP is worth about $15 a day/per person.

Drinks on the ship are ~$6.25 per beer, $8 a mixed drink, 6-10 per glass of wine. As you can see from these prices it takes VERY VERY little drinking to be ahead with the UBP over the UDP.

An often overlooked benefit of the UBP is the ability to try new things without risk. Order a new type of wine. Order a cocktail that you might not have otherwise tried. Have that Mimosa with breakfast. This freedom awesome. In the end I would get the UBP for free, and if you want just add UDP and you will be far ahead with an "All Inclusive" cruise.

6&8

Completely agree ... This is the way to look at it, and the UBP is the way to go

I would go with the UBP as the promo perk instead of the dining package. We were recently on the Getaway (fabulous cruise) and had the UBP. I don't know if we'd pay for it rather than paying for by the drink but really enjoyed it as a perk. We spent a lot of time in the atrium area. The group playing there (Groove International) was great. The Dancing with the Stars type show and various other shows were also held in this area. Bars all around it so very easy to get a drink, sit down and relax. Howl at the Moon, went three times and had a couple drinks while having a ball. Want wine and an after dinner drink, no problem. Really nice not to think about what you're spending:)

Aside from the cost savings with the UBP, we have no problem with the included restaurant choices. We're both platinum so have two specialty meals included and I'm a stockholder so received $60 On Board Credit certificate and a bottle of wine (we ate at Cagneys steak house). Our other dinners we went to included restaurants at whatever time fit in between our entertainment schedule. These new ships for us are really about the entertainment and fine dining is not our top priority. That being said there was only one meal I had that was bad and most were very good.

It seems you've already chosen, but I thought I'd let you know what we decided...we went with the UDP, and here's why...we are 4 to a cabin, 3 adults and 1 child. Since the 3rd adult (my MIL) doesn't drink soda and doesn't generally drink alcohol, the UBP would be of no benefit for her. For us, with complimentary dining, it would be hard to justify paying for specialty dinners individually, but that is something we would really enjoy. Finally, we should have a total of at least $250 on board credit. We enjoy drinking, but 3-4 drinks a day would be plenty for us. We would have to spend at least an additional $360 on top of that for drinks since we would have to purchase the UDP ahead of time and would end up with $250 with nothing to spend it on since we do private excursions and aren't shoppers.

I'm having the same internal debate! I originally was thinking of getting the UDP because it would be a splurge to eat in a specialty restaurant each night. (We've never done NCL, but have never eaten in a specialty restaurant on any of our cruises.)

We also aren't big drinkers. DH might have a couple drinks per night. I usually get my one free drink from Carnival past guest and then a free drink at the Past guest party. I don't really drink otherwise. So the UBP doesn't seem like a great value for us. I usually drink iced tea. My mom usually gets a soda card. My older DD just turned 21 last cruise and I think she got 2 or 3 drinks total the whole cruise. My younger daughter is not 21 but doesn't drink soda either. So just water.

However, I got to thinking that if we got the UBP, we could eat in the main dining room each night for free and then any drinks we order would be taken care of. So no cost on our sail and sign bill (except maybe photos or trinkets). So I am trying to decide. I guess the deciding factor is whether or not we will be sucked in to try the specialty restaurants. Hard to know since we've never done NCL before. But my DH and younger DD like Japanese food, so ...

Maggie

I'm having the same internal debate! I originally was thinking of getting the UDP because it would be a splurge to eat in a specialty restaurant each night. (We've never done NCL, but have never eaten in a specialty restaurant on any of our cruises.)

We also aren't big drinkers...

snip the numbers per cruise

Given those drink totals I would go for the UDP give specialities a go for a change, you won't even have to do them all.

If the 4 of you do tepanyaki(fun for a family) $100 that covers a few days drinking, add one more and you have the cruise(unless a long one) covered.

It's not just the food the dining experience is much better in the smaller restaurants.