Opinion on Magic Cruise: Cozumel, Mexico; Belize; Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

jtwanabe

I am going on this itinerary. Seems like when I mention it to anyone they get this look in their eye like I made a bad decision.

I've been to Cozumel several times so I know all about that. :confused:

I would appreciate any incite good or bad about this itinerary.

Thanks,

JT

Edited by jtwanabe

Belize is not my favorite stop but if you scuba dive it is probably one of the best. Cozumel, being on every western itinerary can be crowded but I am amazed that 15,000 tourists can so easily be accommodated. Roatan is my land vacation destination. It is SUPER, especially the eastern end of the Island.

Not sure what you didn't like about Cozumel - there are tons of beaches a short cab ride from the port that are great to relax. Then there is Chankanaab park, which is fabulous.

Roatan is our favorite port; beautiful island, great people and tons to see and do. Don't just stay at the carnival built port - get out and book an excursion.

Belize is amazing as well as you have all the water activities from snorkeling to kayaking, to the zoo, to cave tubing to ruins.

Love the western route!

We we to all of those ports on the Legend last summer. I loved it!

Cozumel, you already know about, but I would recommend the Turtle Cove and Cavern Snorkel Adventure through Carnival, it was a great, great day!

Belize we took another Carnival excursion that went on a Catamaran to a private island for the day. snorkel tours (included)and food were available. The snorkeling was average, but the island was postcard picture perfect.

We didn't make it to mainland Belize, but I head a lot of people who had fun cave tubing or going to the Mayan ruins. everyone did say to make sure you have a tour planned as you don't want to leave the port area on your own.

Roatan was the absolute best! We did a private tour through Victor Bodden. We had a private driver for the day. We went to interact with the Monkeys at Victors House, which was really fun, we had a tour of the island, with our guide giving us a history lessone along the way and some shopping stops that we had asked for, Then we were taken to Bananarama Beach Club to hang out at the beach for the afternoon. We went on a private snorkel tour from there for $20/each. The water is crystal clear and the beach area was not all crowded.

I know a lot of people go to the Mahogony Bay Beach since it's free, but our tour was super cheap for everything that we got. I think it was like $40/each for the 3 of us to have the private driver for the day! I really can't recommend this enough!

Belize is good if you are on an excursion, such as cave tubing, zip lining, or scuba diving. There's not much in the way of a tourist area but for a few shops and a bar/grill. Walking around in Belize City can be scary because it's quite third world and disorganized. Homeless and stray dogs are everywhere. We've walked around in the city on two different occasions and never felt threatened, however. The people are friendly and easy to talk to--English is the primary language. We found an Internet Café that was very cheap--$1.50 per hour usage. The kids liked it because they could get on FB and other sites we didn't allow them to use on the ship's Internet. If you walk a ways back into the city you can find shops with very good deals. Also found a local bakery and bought bottled cokes for the kids.

Roatan has some very good excursions or you can go shopping right off the ship. Last time there, some in our family found a beach via taxi and the driver stayed there with them the whole time. At Mahogany Bay, there is a tourist area established by Carnival so it's shops like Coz. There is a large beach area across the lagoon via walking or ski-lift ride. If you end up at Coxen Hole, there is a very good tourist area there as well or you can walk thru the small town.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

We've done the western itinerary twice, first time in Carnival Miracle in 2006 (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya) and again last year on Carnival Liberty (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman) and we enjoy it and don't think you made a bad decision.

A lot of people don't care for Belize but we've always enjoyed it. We did a beach break on our first trip and last year we did the River Wallace/Altun Ha Mayan ruin site excursion through Carnival and loved it. I'd definitely recommend booking an excursion in Belize. There are so many to choose from. There are other Mayan ruin sites, beach/snorkeling excursions, cave tubing, zip line, etc. There are many places where you can book tours on your own through another tour company but for Belize we've always gone with a tour through the cruise line to insure getting back on the ship if the excursion runs late for some reason. This is a tender port and the tender ride into Belize City/returning to ship is about 20 minutes each way. On some of the beach/snorkel excursions, you're picked up by tender at the ship and taken directly to the beach and then directly back to the ship.

Roatan was a new port for us and we booked a private tour here to see more of the island and also allow some time at the beach. Carnival docks at Mahogany Bay and there is a nice beach and cruise center right there if you just want a beach day and we'd have considered that, but since Roatan was new for us, we wanted to see more of the island. It's very pretty there.

Since you're not stopping in Grand Cayman, I won't offer much imput on that one but will say we missed it do to weather conditions last year.

Again, definitely not a poor decision and the western itinerary is one of the most popular itineraries. Hope this helps and I hope you have a great cruise on Magic.

I am going on this itinerary. Seems like when I mention it to anyone they get this look in their eye like I made a bad decision.

Thanks,

JT

We went on this itinerary before and loved it. We did a rain forest, water and mangrove tour in Belize. It was the best tour we have done so far in all our cruising and we do a lot of tours. The other ports were amazing too. I don't know why people are questioning it. Go and enjoy your cruise. :)

We had these ports on the Carnival Liberty in 2012.

In Belize, my 16 year old daughter and I booked an excursion through the cruise line to Xunantunich Mayan Ruins. It was fantastic!! The tour guides shared facts about Belize and answered questions. We arrived at a handcranked ferry and then into jeeps to the entrance of the ruins. A short walk (up hill) to the ruins. You can climb (or you could back then) the ruins. Its extremely hot but we found lots of shade. We then went to lunch which was delicious!

IMG_3290.jpg.342e749f1d28b190419476e57355cb71.jpg

My husband and other daughter (age 12) enjoyed a horse and buggy ride they rented just outside of the port. They got to see more authentic Belize dwellings and lifestyle than we did on a bus. For example, the sewer system running open beside the homes. It was a great lesson for both of them how some cultures live. He said his guide was awesome!

239.jpg.6d0632f2c74ee71710c59c3a9cf7f706.jpg

In Roatan my 12 year old and I rented a cab with another couple from our cruise and asked him to drive us around. It cost $80 for the 4 of us and it lasted about 6 hours. The driver could speak limited English but we made do. He took us to a roadside market where we seen the most amazing view! Then on to a private resort which was beautiful. There we had access to a clean washroom. We visited another hilltop market and another busy market that I know was part of one of the ship excursions. We then ended with a visit to a lighthouse. The downside of this was getting back to the ship with only 20 minutes to spare! The school kids getting out slowed traffic right down to a crawl. As amazing as this was, I'm sure I would have taken more control of where we went however the other couple had stops they wanted to make and slowed us down a bit.

IMG_3391.jpg.0ac5e52ce87a4c419497da258ec29422.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg.4bab71e4b559749b30a87acf2e3905ca.jpg

My 16 year old and husband booked an excursion through the cruise line to zip line which ended in a monkey sanctuary. They LOVED it!!

Honestly, I would do what you want to do, not what people try to influence you to do. Is this a cruise you wanted to book? Then do it! There's no reason you shouldn't! If you want to book it feel free and then make sure you do your research about the ports so you know what you want to do at each port and show up with a plan.

I had a great time when we had this itinerary, and would be happy to do it again. Cozumel is old reliable, always something fun to do there. Belize, do some research. We toured the Beliken beer factory and drank some great beer, then ate lunch at The Wet Lizard. For Roatan we have enjoyed the day at Gumbalimba Park and last time enjoyed the beautiful free beach right by the cruise terminal. Nothing bad about any of the ports mentioned in my opinion. Who cares what others say, go have fun!

Thanks,

JT

I'm guessing that the reason all these other people don't like it is also the reason I would choose it! It's off the beaten path!

I think this itinerary sounds awesome. I actually won't do regular Caribbean itineraries or land vacations anymore, because I HATE the touristy feel! I don't like seeing a Diamonds International in every port, know what I mean?

So to me, the chance to leave the touristy areas and experience something a little more "authentic" is a bonus. But I bet it's what is making some people a little skeptical of your itinerary. I see so many people on here say things like "well there is nothing to do in Belize, there is no tourist area". But it was one of our favorite ports just for that reason!

I have been on the Magic and I have done the Western Caribbean Itinerary about 4 times each. I love it!! I especially love Roatan. The beaches are awesome. Cozumel is my next favorite port. I love Mexico and there are some really good excursions to be had while in Cozumel. Plus, you can sample Tequilla (for free) just about everywhere in the city. :)

We are booked on The Glory in April and are really looking forward to it. Belize was my only hesitation just because of everything you hear. That is the one port that we booked a snorkel/beach day through Carnival. In Cozymel we are going to Nachi Cocum, been before and loved it! In Roatan we are going to Little French Key, reviews are amazing. In Grand Cayman just going to be on our own, we swam with the stingrays last time and that left little time for roaming around the city shopping, eating and drinking. Just do some research and do what you feel comfortable with, enjoy!

Roatan is one of my absolute favorite places in the Caribbean. One of the deciding factors on our upcoming cruise is that is goes back to Roatan! Cozumel is awesome and as others have siad there is lots of choices for Belize too. We love the huge choices of activities in the western Caribbean. My kids are not huge beach people so there are a lot more activities to choose from with a mix of some beach time for mom & dad! perfect! I wouldnt second guess this choice. You will have a great time!

I'm guessing that the reason all these other people don't like it is also the reason I would choose it! It's off the beaten path!

I think this itinerary sounds awesome. I actually won't do regular Caribbean itineraries or land vacations anymore, because I HATE the touristy feel! I don't like seeing a Diamonds International in every port, know what I mean?

So to me, the chance to leave the touristy areas and experience something a little more "authentic" is a bonus. But I bet it's what is making some people a little skeptical of your itinerary. I see so many people on here say things like "well there is nothing to do in Belize, there is no tourist area". But it was one of our favorite ports just for that reason!

Wouldn't bother me if I never saw another Diamond's International