Got a Go Pro today and dont know a thing about it

spotter27

What model did you get? I have a White Hero plus and brought it on my cruise -- it was fantastic! What in particular are you wondering? The basic stuff should be covered in the instructions manual, but I can try and help with more specific queries.

Yeah, they definitely are clear. Both the photo option and the video option yield high-quality footage. If you click the Youtube link in my signature, it'll take you to a video montage of my trip on the Freedom that was taken entirely with a GoPro.

The quick guide work just fine to figure out the basics. I used mine zip lining last year when I just got it. The biggest thing is probably the mounts. You can carry it in your hand, but it really limits what you can do. I think for most things the chest harness works pretty good. Make sure you download the app that allows you to sync with your smart phone so you can see the picks and video. Have a great time.

What model did you get? I have a White Hero plus and brought it on my cruise -- it was fantastic! What in particular are you wondering? The basic stuff should be covered in the instructions manual, but I can try and help with more specific queries.

I actually have a question for you...

I'm renting a GoPro HERO (not a 3, or 3+ or anything) and am wondering how much footage I'll be able to capture during my 7-hour excursion in Cozumel. Obviously I won't be trying to record the entire time, but I'd like to probably get a good hour and a half to maybe 2 of footage. I will have a class 10 32GB Micro memory card (SanDisk), well I'll have two of them actually. Will this be enough memory? Will the GoPro even survive for 2 hours of recording time with all the turning it off and on throughout our excursion.

I just want to have realistic expectations of what I can get, heh.

I actually have a question for you...

I'm renting a GoPro HERO (not a 3, or 3+ or anything) and am wondering how much footage I'll be able to capture during my 7-hour excursion in Cozumel. Obviously I won't be trying to record the entire time, but I'd like to probably get a good hour and a half to maybe 2 of footage. I will have a class 10 32GB Micro memory card (SanDisk), well I'll have two of them actually. Will this be enough memory? Will the GoPro even survive for 2 hours of recording time with all the turning it off and on throughout our excursion.

I just want to have realistic expectations of what I can get, heh.

The GoPro website has average recording times. A lot depends on the recording mode you use.

For the GoPro Hero 3+ - Based on 64GB card. So half for your 32GB

For the Hero 2 - Based on a 32GB card.

Edited by dioxide45

The GoPro website has average recording times. A lot depends on the recording mode you use.

For the GoPro Hero 3+ - Based on 64GB card. So half for your 32GB

For the Hero 2 - Based on a 32GB card.

Thanks! (:

My SO will be using it so I'm not sure what he plans to film it in, but I'm assuming he would want 1080p for the highest quality video of our vacation.

I have never used a GoPro before so I'm very clueless. I will check out the website, thanks (:

An extra battery and some kind of mount are a must. Without a mount the GoPro is pretty much unusable. You can't just hold the camera in your hand for video. The type of mount will depend on how you plan to use the camera. For snorkeling I would recommend a pole or float mount. We have the GoPole and love it for snorkeling.

An extra battery and some kind of mount are a must. Without a mount the GoPro is pretty much unusable. You can't just hold the camera in your hand for video. The type of mount will depend on how you plan to use the camera. For snorkeling I would recommend a pole or float mount. We have the GoPole and love it for snorkeling.

You don't need any kind of mount to use the pole, correct?

When I rented the gear it asked if I wanted a flat or curved mount for a little extra, but I assumed it wouldn't be necessary at all for the pole, which is the only accessory we rented along with the GoPro HERO.

Edited by HollandAvery

Thanks! (:

My SO will be using it so I'm not sure what he plans to film it in, but I'm assuming he would want 1080p for the highest quality video of our vacation.

I have never used a GoPro before so I'm very clueless. I will check out the website, thanks (:

Even though you will get more recording time with a lower resolution, you really don't want to go below 1080p. I would say that in most cases your card will outlast your battery. So an extra battery is a must if you plan to fill the card. The more footage you take the better. You can slice and dice it later.

You don't need any kind of mount to use the pole, correct?

When I rented the gear it asked if I wanted a flat or curved mount for a little extra, but I assumed it wouldn't be necessary at all for the pole, which is the only accessory we rented along with the GoPro HERO.

I am classifying a pole as a mount. It will have the proper mount at the end to attach the GoPro. If you have a pole, you should be set.

I am classifying a pole as a mount. It will have the proper mount at the end to attach the GoPro. If you have a pole, you should be set.

Thank you!

Sorry for all the questions and kind of hijacking the thread (x heh.

I appreciate your responses...I feel a lot better know knowing all this information. I was worried I purchased the wrong accessory or wouldn't be able to record much...now I'm worry free (:

They are renting the entry level gopro, it has a non removable battery.