Jewel Review

Spanky My

Well our favorite thing was NOT having to dress up while on vacation . Freestyle dining was a real plus. After that it was the friendly staff on the Jewel. The entertainment was really good.

The only negative that NCL does not tell you, is your ONBOARD credit does not if any is left PAY for your Gratuities ie. cabin attendant etc. at cruise end! So beware folks as we left some credit on the table and it never got used!

Well our favorite thing was NOT having to dress up while on vacation . Freestyle dining was a real plus. After that it was the friendly staff on the Jewel. The entertainment was really good.

The only negative that NCL does not tell you, is your ONBOARD credit does not if any is left PAY for your Gratuities ie. cabin attendant etc. at cruise end! So beware folks as we left some credit on the table and it never got used!

There are two kinds of OBC. One, like OBC from TA is refundable, can be used for the DSC ("gratuities") and any leftover will be given back to you.

The other OBC is non-refundable, that from NCL. and can not be used for DSC although it can be used to purchase additional tip voucher for your cabin steward etc.

It can be used for excursions, shops, spa, specialty dinner, drinks, and to purchase a Future Cruise Credit certificate.

And as you discovered, it's use it or lose it.

I'm sorry you didn't know that before your cruise. It is buried somewhere in the faq's

Edited by NMLady

Live and learn. That is why this forum is valuable to those who have not yet cruised.

This forum provides a lot of good information and I hope I helped as you have those yet to cruise.....

It was only by reading many many posts in this forum the last few years that I learned about that difference in OBC and evidently it is not true across all cruise lines. But it is for NCL.

Thank you for the answers you have given in this thread. They have helped.

Glad to help anyone who will be on the jewel have some idea what to expect and enjoy. You have provided good information as well . To all looking forward to their Jewel trip,you should enjoy the ship,the crew , freestyle dining and the entertaimement.

Nothing is ever perfect, but a lot of it is what you make of your own experience...Have Fun folks.

Hello to All, Hubby and I are cruise newbies and I am the family researcher. I have been able to get the answers to most questions by searching on Cruise Critic. Thank you all for the help. :)

I do have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to. I am an early riser and am always the one to get the morning coffee. I usually go for a walk with both travel mugs. I am wondering where on the jewel is the best place to fill the mugs before 6 am. :confused:

Hello to All, Hubby and I are cruise newbies and I am the family researcher. I have been able to get the answers to most questions by searching on Cruise Critic. Thank you all for the help. :)

I do have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to. I am an early riser and am always the one to get the morning coffee. I usually go for a walk with both travel mugs. I am wondering where on the jewel is the best place to fill the mugs before 6 am. :confused:

Great question. I, too would like to know. Anyone?

Answer on the Coffee...Room service or Go to O'sheehans and ask for a couple of Coffee's to go. They are open 24 hours a day. Hope that helps...

Thank you so much for the review and quick reply. Hope your day is full of smiles. :):o;)

Thanks OP and to all posters who have posted the ins and outs of the Jewel. We are experienced cruiser but first timers to NCL.

Very much looking forward to boarding the Jewel in a month and especially appreciate knowing where I can get my early morning caffeine fix.

Marion

NCL offers coffeemakers in some cabin categories, I believe balcony and up. I had read that others can request from their cabin steward. We were in an outside and about the first thing out of my mouth when I met our steward was a request for a coffeemaker. He asked if I could wait until the next morning since embarkation day is so crazy for them. The next morning a 4-cup coffeemaker arrived with tons of coffee. The room service route has always worked, but it was nice to get things ready the night before and just hit the button when I crawled out of bed in the morning. I'm often up before my husband and didn't have to worry about waking him with the phone call, room service knocking on the door, etc.