Princess vs Celebrity

robinlynn

Having just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Royal, with the 2 previous cruises being on the Equinox, my personal preference is unequivocally the Equinox. The Royal is just too big ........my DH and my opinion. Being only 18 months old, the "wear and tear" is more noticeable than any ship I've ever been on. It seems there are too many people using a limited space. We also felt the crew was phenomenal, but totally understaffed and overworked. Maybe this is just a sign of the times...however, never felt that on Equinox.

Agree with previous posts that there are definite pros and cons for both lines. Love laundry on Princess and way prefer bathrooms on Celebrity. Food, in our opinion, was better in Horizon Buffet vs. celebrity buffet, while main dining room no comparison.....celebrity wins here hands down. Also love specialty restaurants on celebrity.

The general layout of Equinox, once again just our opinion, better flowing, easier to navigate and more to our liking.

Saying that, it does seem that Princess has better itineraries, but we love sea days, so am going to stick to Celebrity for now.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been on both ships within past year. Some of your points are correct, others are debatable.

Size of the ship and passenger count is almost equal. When comparing Equinox to Royal consider the Centrum/Atrium. Equinox is very small and very crowded, whereas Royal is very spacious and elegant. Much more room to sit around, eat in and visit.

MDR food is very subjective and both are comparable as each had excellent food and average food.

Specialty restaurants on X are very expensive when you pay $45 - 50 on X and only $25 on Princess. Tried them both and the extra cost on X does not give you anything more.

That is my opinion as we cruise both and are Elite on Princess and Elite + on X.

Being only 18 months old, the "wear and tear" is more noticeable than any ship I've ever been on. It seems there are too many people using a limited space.

We cruised for 20 days on the Royal this winter and didn't observe the noticeable wear and tear you mention. In fact, we found the Royal to be in excellent, like new, condition.

I don't know what the square footage per passenger is on the Royal, but I get a feeling of greater spaciousness on the Royal than on grand class ships. The entire HC area and atrium, for instance, are much larger and better designed than those on other Princess ships.

Lew

I have cruised almost every Celebrity Solstice Class ship, and I have cruise both Royal and Regal Princess. Princess is a nice cruise line, but their new ships fall way short of being in the same league as Solstice Class. Rooms remain tiny. Decor remains dated. Entertainment remains meh. If you've sailed Solstice Class and are looking for similar impressiveness on Royal Class, you'll be disappointed.

I have cruised almost every Celebrity Solstice Class ship, and I have cruise both Royal and Regal Princess. Princess is a nice cruise line, but their new ships fall way short of being in the same league as Solstice Class. Rooms remain tiny. Decor remains dated. Entertainment remains meh. If you've sailed Solstice Class and are looking for similar impressiveness on Royal Class, you'll be disappointed.

Completely agree!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the good information. We just decided to cancel our Royal 7/15 cruise in favor of the Silhoutte embarking Amsterdam for the British Isles.

The overnight in Edinburgh and good reviews of the Silhoutte were the deciding factors.

You will be so happy!!! Great decision....we are booking silhouette for September too....probably that exact same itinerary!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was loud, real loud, and not so loud noise everywhere on the Regal. No quiet places, including the Retreat pool. The pool was nice but played recorded music. The walking track had banging booming music and I like to be out in the peaceful quiet ocean. Some people don't mind. The food is excellent on the ship, balcony cramped. Apparently Regal is improved in various ways on the Royal. My husband and I would never go on the Royal, and we're doubtful about going on the Regal again.

I don't recall the level of noise you state being pervasive. I actually tend to be noise sensitive, and I can easily recall sitting outside on the promenade and enjoying the views - very peaceful. We spent an afternoon at the Retreat pool and enjoyed chatting with folks we met - just don't remember having that "wish they'd turn that down" feeling. Not saying your experience or interpretation are wrong as the majority of discussions on CC involve a degree of subjectivity - just sharing....:-)