Back from HAL Westerdam Baltic cruise 19/8

soraya

Hi, Just back from the Baltic cruise. Had a great time. Did very few ship excursions electing instead to walk or take a shuttle into the towns and wonder around. I don't think I can add a lot to the very comprehensive port review except to say the following:

Copenhagen: We went to La Glace which is an olde worlde cake shop and had the best coffee and cake ever , I would highly recommend it.

Hotels: We stayed in the Square pre cruise and the Guldsmeden post cruise. The are chalk and cheese.

The Square is very modern, we were upgraded to a junior suite and it was lovely all very modern Danish design lots of frosted glass and dark wood. The Square is very clean and nicely located. They did a good breakfast too.

The Guldsmeden was more my idea of a French hotel, very romantic with a four poster bed and muslin curtains with a little balcony. There was a fab rolltop bath with claw feet. They do an organic breakfast and nothing is too much trouble. We got off the boat v. early and we at the hotel by 8.30am and they invited us to help ourselves for breakfast. A very charming hotel.

St Petersburg: No hassle getting off the ship, we just ignored their instructions for independant passengers (as HAL wanted to get their own tours off first) and went to the gangway. All very smooth. DenRus were waiting through immigration. We did end up with Ilya as our guide, he was very knowledgable and helpful and we had a great visit. Sergei was our driver, he was great and treated us like VIPs. We thought StP was the highlight of our trip and compared with the ship's excursions, we saw a lot more and could focus on the bits we were interested in.

We did do the ship's evening excursion to the Yusopov Palave which was surreal. We got offered champagne as we gathered on the ship. It was a real challenge getting on a coach in high heel and a long frock. My DH's kilt go us our only smiles and thimbs ups from Russian Immigration! It was great eveining, we had a tour of the palace, saw where Rasputin was murdered/ Then canapes and champagne and people in 1800s costume demonstrated some dances from the period. This was followed by opera in the amazing private theatre - three tiers with gilt everywhere.

The only downside to the trip was that we missed Visby as the weather was not good enough to tender. We actually saw the tender try to get to shore and back and the waves were hitting the top - not good. But we were pretty tired by then so a sea day wasn't too bad a thing.

All in all a great cruise, I have some Westerdam comments which I'll post over on the HAL board.

Soraya

Hi, Just back from the Baltic cruise. Had a great time. Did very few ship excursions electing instead to walk or take a shuttle into the towns and wonder around....

St Petersburg: No hassle getting off the ship, we just ignored their instructions for independant passengers (as HAL wanted to get their own tours off first) and went to the gangway. All very smooth. DenRus were waiting through immigration. We did end up with Ilya as our guide, he was very knowledgable and helpful and we had a great visit. Sergei was our driver, he was great and treated us like VIPs. We thought StP was the highlight of our trip and compared with the ship's excursions, we saw a lot more and could focus on the bits we were interested in.

We did do the ship's evening excursion to the Yusopov Palave which was surreal. We got offered champagne as we gathered on the ship. It was a real challenge getting on a coach in high heel and a long frock. My DH's kilt go us our only smiles and thimbs ups from Russian Immigration! It was great eveining, we had a tour of the palace, saw where Rasputin was murdered/ Then canapes and champagne and people in 1800s costume demonstrated some dances from the period. This was followed by opera in the amazing private theatre - three tiers with gilt everywhere.

All in all a great cruise, I have some Westerdam comments which I'll post over on the HAL board.

Soraya

Hi Soraya,

I have been busy researching for my upcoming cruises at the River cruises and Europe ports of calls. Today, took a look at the Baltic's port and pleasantly surprised to see your post. Glad you have had a great time! I kind of had a feeling you would...

Kim

P.S. HAL is still on my list of cruiselines to try in the future!

Archived