Smart Casual dinners

yanka

I am very relieved that they do not have to be brand name. Takes away the worry.

I like to pack my Marks&Spencer shirts because they travel well. But alas, they are not brand name. Neither are my slacks, I don't think. My socks are just regular gold toe socks with no logo. Got a heck of a deal on them at the Ross Atore in FLL opposite the Embassy Suites!

I had this mental image of the maitre d' checking for golf shirt logos: "Polo pony, OK. Alligator, OK. L.L.Bean, um...OK. No logo? Sorry, sir, you'll need to change."

I am very relieved that they do not have to be brand name. Takes away the worry.

I like to pack my Marks&Spencer shirts because they travel well. But alas, they are not brand name. Neither are my slacks, I don't think. My socks are just regular gold toe socks with no logo. Got a heck of a deal on them at the Ross Atore in FLL opposite the Embassy Suites!

OH THE HORROR!!:eek: TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING!!!

:D:D:D:p

Is there a reaso why the polo shirts should be 'brand name'?

The reason I put Polo (brand name) in my post -- yes there is a difference.

Many polo shirts do not have collars. The brand name Polo shirts have collars.

I was flamed by a couple of people saying that men should not wear polo shirts on smart casual nights.

What is strange I see many polo shirts that do have collars in our stores even though they are not the Polo name brand.

Guess we all don't think alike.

The term 'polo shirt' has become generic and doesn't mean you must wear a Ralph Lauren Polo brand logo shirt.. Any golf/tennis/casual shirt with a collar of any brand is the dress code, much like Kleenex doesn't mean it has to be the Kleenex brand tissue. Surely everybody knows that or can figure it out without getting into a dispute with another poster just for the fun of it. T-shirts, no collar, are a no-no. Collared shirts of any brand or sports shirts are fine. Just no t-shirts.

It is a little bit of double standards though, because ladies can wear t-shirts without collars ...but then how do you differentiate between a top, and a t-shirt. I think most people know what looks suitable for dinner, and what doesn't. HAL can't cover everything with rules.

I frequently wear polo-type shirts on smart casual nights. I usually also wear pressed khakis and sometimes a sports jacket, but I could wear nice jeans (if I were a jeans-wearing kind of guy) and I sometimes don't wear the jacket ... it just depends upon how I feel.

There is no reason to get bent out of shape about brand names or other such matters. My shirts are not fashion brand name, but they're nice and comfortable. Looking clean, neat, and presentable while also being comfortable for a casual evening "out-and-about" is the basic idea.

I frequently wear polo-type shirts on smart casual nights. I usually also wear pressed khakis and sometimes a sports jacket, but I could wear nice jeans (if I were a jeans-wearing kind of guy) and I sometimes don't wear the jacket ... it just depends upon how I feel.

There is no reason to get bent out of shape about brand names or other such matters. My shirts are not fashion brand name, but they're nice and comfortable. Looking clean, neat, and presentable while also being comfortable for a casual evening "out-and-about" is the basic idea.

Nice to see you again.:) And thanks for the words of wisdom. That about sums it up.

Nice to see you again.:) And thanks for the words of wisdom. That about sums it up.

Thanks.

For several years, now, I've tried to avoid even opening dress-code threads, however this time I opened it by mistake so I decided to see what was being said and thought I'd toss in my two cents.