Celebrity Equinox eliminates Athens 5 months ago??

davidadavis

I booked the July 20 2015 Equinox cruise through Costco, one year in advance and just learned randomly today 7 months later that they eliminated a stop in Athens, so the "Greek" cruise is now only one Greek island. This is after nine people had booked one year in advance, paid ten of thousands of dollars, paid flights, hotels, took time off etc etc. I know they CAN do this per our agreement, but this certainly does not seem right to me I called Celebrity and the only thing they said was they told Costco in August last year. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Any thoughts? David in Los Angeles

I'm confused...there is no Equinox sailing on July 20 2015

We took this cruise last summer and it looks like they substituted an overnight in Mykonos for the Athens stop. While I too would be very upset, they have every right to do so. My concern would be what to do in Mykonos for 2 days. I wish they would substitute Santorini on this itinerary.

Also, try to spend a few days in Istanbul. It really is a beautiful and very interesting city. If you have enough time, a day trip to Ephesus is also worthwhile.

We were booked on this cruise as well (June 20, 2015). We found out

about the itinerary change on these message boards! For us it was a deal

breaker and we cancelled and booked another cruise. I don't believe

that Celebrity notified my travel agent regarding this.

David - You booked in July of last year. your TA was informed about the change in early August. Since your cruise leaves on probably July 18th, you could have not booked your airline passage until 300 days after the end of the cruise or about September 1st. I would be asking why my TA did not inform me of the change. That would have eliminated all of your issues. Also if you had looked at the Celebrity website after about August 15th you could have seen the change yourself.

I presume you have not cruised much. Itineraries often change and in my ten cruises have have missed or changed ports on three of them due to either weather or a passenger needing emergency medical care.

Thanks for your replies It is June 20, 2015 not July. I have only cruised several times before. We are seeing Istanbul a few days and looking forward to Mykonos. I guess I need to wait for more bait and switch in the future. I just assumed a Greek Isle cruise would actually go to several greek isles like they said and not switch it out. I was surprised how little Celebrity cared when i called politely to request about this. We are 9 people and our full trip is probably close to 3k per person which we have already shelled out. I will be more careful in the future David Davis Los Angeles California

We just recently booked this itinerary, but it's unfortunate that the cut Athens. Just to let you know, it's actually just one afternoon/evening in Mykonos, not two days as the itinerary reads. After mapping out the calendar, it's actually a day at sea after leaving Mykonos at 3am on Tues. The ship arrives the next port on Wednesday at 11am.

All in all, I still think this will be a nice itinerary, and I am eager to see Mykonos! Having a day at sea on Tuesday will also be a nice change of pace from all the ports of call on this itinerary.

Thanks for your replies It is June 20, 2015 not July. I have only cruised several times before. We are seeing Istanbul a few days and looking forward to Mykonos. I guess I need to wait for more bait and switch in the future. I just assumed a Greek Isle cruise would actually go to several greek isles like they said and not switch it out. I was surprised how little Celebrity cared when i called politely to request about this. We are 9 people and our full trip is probably close to 3k per person which we have already shelled out. I will be more careful in the future David Davis Los Angeles California

Assuming they did inform Costco (your TA), what were you expecting them to say or do when you called Celebrity? The average front line rep probably has no reason to know why Athens was dropped from the itinerary and given you booked through a TA that is who is supposed to deal with you on this.

While I agree that it sucks, Celebrity does have every right to change a routing and it ultimately is up to your TA to inform you and advise you of the various options (including cancellation of the cruise).

When Celebrity has made changes to a cruise I have booked, they have contacted my TA (who immediately contacted me) or contacted me directly when I booked through them. I've cruised over twenty times and believe there have only been minor changes twice. Not sure how often it happens but there is usually a reason when it does.

At this point you could cancel your cruise (and yes, I understand you have flights booked). Reflection does a greek intensive cruise departing June 19th and perhaps there are other cruises/cruise line you could look at.

If you had booked directly with Celebrity I think they would be more to blame, but one of the things that happens when you use a TA is they control the communication.

Edited by RickT

Phew...Am I relieved. When I read the title of the thread ,I thought the Equinox had gone rogue,military fashion and had wiped out the ancient city.

Having friends living there,I am relieved to learn that was not the case.