Silhouette healthy eating? First timer ?s

tchrchgo

I know you can eat healthy in the MDR for dinner as I did on our cruise 3 weeks ago. I am a weight watcher at my goal weight & in maintenance. Frequently I ordered from the left side of the menu & requested extra veggies. Sometimes I ordered 2 appetizers as my entree. I often ordered a combo from both sides of the menu. I allow up to a 2 lb weight gain on vacation & in order to enjoy a glass of wine & 1-2 small treats daily I walk several miles daily [ I wear a pedometer to make sure I have at least 15000 steps by the end of the day] . Enjoy yourself & remember that you have made life changing choices to reach your goal & vacations are part of your life. Enjoy!

Congrats...as a formerly overweight person who gains weight by looking at food, I'm constantly vigilant. I only did a 5 day X cruise, but still enjoyed the classic drink package, sampled some goodies and didn't gain weight.

Here's what I did:

1. No elevator rule: strictly enforced. We were on the lowest deck (2) due to possible seasickness concerns and EVERYTHING was on decks 5 or deck 10-11. Talk about a lot of stair climbing. This alone helped a lot. The only time we took the elevator was on embarkation day toting bags.

2. Drink package - heck yea...I enjoyed that! :D But we often split a blended drink vs ordering individually - same great splurge- HALF the calories. Watch the mixers if you drink cocktails: go for a low cal spirit like vodka w/diet or club soda only. I kept it to 1 glass of white or red wine w/dinner.

3. Gym visits - goes without saying - I pre-ordered a pot of room service coffee that would arrive at 6am and dragged myself in early, before the morning rush. Felt great afterwards.

4. All dressings, sauces, etc on the side at MDR. I really liked that the portions tended to run small...I could taste without overdoing. Also ordered grilled salmon from left side of menu and at Aqua Spa Cafe a few times.

5. I love the Bacio espresso and cappachino specialty drinks and had at least a couple each day, but I asked them to substitute skim milk and no cal splenda for the milk, cream and sugar. A fraction of the calories.

6. Don't try to avoid absolutely everything or you'll just be frustrated and your willpower may even cave towards the end, doing more damage. Go in with a more attainable goal: that you will only splurge on a few special things you NEVER cook or buy at home. Skip the french fries, pizza, pasta, potatoes, breads, sandwiches, ice cream (unless one of those is really your #1 craving.) While delicious, they are ordinary and the calories quickly skyrocket. I indulged only in things I never get at home...a few bites of a great appetizer or entree...one or two bites of a special dessert...or those blended drinks. :)

Edited by Flafun888

What's the gym like? Mostly cardio machines? Good represent of free weights/barbells?

Very good gym...the work area for free weights is small...only 2-3 benches, but still all the weights are there - everything you need for a decent workout, (and great views if you're there as ship pulls in or out of port!) plus other machines, plenty of treadmills and cycles, decent floor area for ab work, with mats, swiss balls avail. I had a good workout each day.

Upgraded to Aqua

Looking forward to blu!

Good choice! To give you some tips, here's what I usually ordered in Blu

There's a hummus dip type appetizer on your table to start with, comes with some small veggies & bread sticks, we asked for no bread sticks

Started with a double order of shrimp cocktail ( the sauce is on the the side, I just asked for no sauce) with extra lemon wedges.

Ordered what ever salad they had, no dressing, but a lemon wedge to squeeze on top & little salt

If there was a clear soup, went for that, then DH & I would usually split an entree, or if I ordered my own, I cut it in half, & stopped when half was gone.

We ordered dessert occasionally, I'd have two heavenly bites, & then pour water over the rest so I wasn't tempted.

Exersize wise, on port days we were walking anywhere from 8 to 12 hours, so I definitely did not hit the gym. On sea days I would do at least an hour of climbing up & down the stairs,

Congrats on your healthier life style! :)