Advice for planning a group cruise/convention

KatieBug28

I need to take a break from planning my vacation and actually do some work, and I need a hand!

I jokingly told our CEO that we should branch out our company's training arm to include conventions at resorts and on cruise ships. Well, he thought that sounded like a great idea and wants more info! Would something like this be qualify as a group cruise? Any tips on getting started?

And, if you've attended a group cruise, I'd love any tips on what you liked/disliked, etc. Obviously I'm a newbie at this! Is Carnival a good line for a group cruise? I was also thinking I should look into RCI, and maybe Norwegian? Disney would be awesome, but I'm guessing it would be too expensive and is limited by the number of sailings.

Anyway, any feedback you have would be much appreciated!

You need eight cabins to be considered a group. I would call your TA or the Carnival groups department and they will help you with everything. With a group you usually get some amenity points which can be used for various things like a cocktail party, photo, strawberries, wine, etc.

If you would be conducting training or having meetings on board, Carnival can help you with appropriate rooms and business services.

If you have the cabins I would arrange for a group cruise. You also get one free berth for every eight cabins. You can book any rate into a group but the price is generally a little higher than if you booked as individuals but it is offset by the amenities.

I have led many group cruises. It is a lot of work. Practically a full time job.

My first tip is to ask for suggestions on the activities the group would like to do, then choose the most popular ones. Be sure there is someone else in charge of that event or excursion for the "day Of" you know, a to coordinate things.

My second tip is to enlist the help of a travel agent, or cruise line employee. Someone to take care of all the bookings, payments etc. If you are wanting to talk about your group here on CC, you will need to use Cru Con and book it as a cruise critic group cruise. I suggest you do not do this. Keep it off CC. If it's on CC, everyone must be invited to join you and with a work group that wouldn't work.

My 3rd tip is to organize a meet n greet on the first day so everyone in your group can be given their itinerary for the week, meet everyone involved in the group etc. It is always fun to have door prizes at things like this.

My 4th tip is to not overbook the group with activities. Remember, the cruise director will have spent tons of time planning lots of things people will want to do, so don't over do it.

It's always fun to have a group t-shirt for everyone to wear.

Don't forget to relax and have fun too!!