Magica Jan 2nd back to back

eagleye

Hi, we will be sailing on the Magica, along with our 2 kids for 13 nights. This will be our first with Costa, after many cruises with all the other lines. We are booked in cabin 7208 (cat 8).....has anyone here stayed in this cabin? After booking by phone, I realized the location and am wondering if there are any obstructions to the view from the balcony. The Costa website and phone operators havent been much help. I would appreciate any comments...as well, is there anyone else doing the back to back 13 nighter?....Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

eagleye

You commented that Costa staff was not much help. I have learned that you need to know more than their staff when booking on your own. Keep in mind these people are booking you on a cruise and are not there to provide travel advice. Most probably have never been on the company's ship. My experince has been you hit a good one every now and then.

From your comments I presume there are 4 of you in cabin 7208. Deck plans I have seen including published ones by Costa of the Magica show 7208 as a cabin for 3, the 2 beds + sofa. This may or may not be an issue, if it is, I would be on to Costa - ASAP to clarify. As to an unobstructed view, I think at that location (port/forward) your view will be great

We will be on the Jan 2 sailing - 6 nights only.

We also do back to backs on Costa and the reason is the itinerary too. In the 2 weeks aboard Costa you get to visit at least one extra island along the way, as opposed to a 14 day with another company. Also Costa offer a back to back discount (well they did when we booked). For the first week you pay full fare for the grade of cabin you are in (we choose a PS suite - 2 adults/2 kids) and the second week you remain in the same cabin and pay only the rate of the grade 1 which makes it a great priced second week. Plus you don't need to disembark in between cruises which also means you only unpack and then pack once, which with 2 children 5 & 6 is perfect. They also alternate east and west so you get to go to different ports each week. They alternate menus and shows too so it's not like repeating the same trip twice. and lastly I suppose I'm greedy 1 week is just not enough for me. I love to cruise and the longer the better. This year for Christmas we paid $5,600 for the 4 of us (through TA not Costa). You cannot double up on their specials so we do pay for the boys but it is still cheaper to do it this way if you want a longer vacation.

Ken.....thx for your comments. You are absolutely right about the cruise line reservation agents. I didnt really have much choice with the cabin, given we wanted to stay in the same cabin and not have to pack/unpack etc.. I just noticed you are also from Ottawa...small world. If you are a hockey fan, you would be amazed as to who is joining us for the second leg of the cruise (Jan 8-15).

As for the benefits of a back to back, there are many, as the others have noted in this post. You almost get a 2 week vacation for the price of one. We were intially booked on 2 other cruises for the first week of January, one with HAL and the other with Celebrity, both being 7 night cruises. However, when I looked into the Magica and realized that we would be paying almost the same price, but for 13 nights, well it was a no brainer, especially with 2 kids. All told, for 13 nights, in a category 8, for the four of us, cost just under $3,800.....you cannot argue with that.

Archived