Happy Happy Happy! Love NCL's current PROMO

pisenor

As you can see by my thread title I am very happy today.

We, family of three, were booked in an aft penthouse SE under the Dec/Jan promo with the UDP, UBP, and $300 OBC deal on the Dawn for next year. When the KSF showed up in the combined promo launched on Feb 1st (then extended till the 2nd) I called my PCC to get our fare reduced slightly by virtue of having only one extra body in the stateroom. I was quite happy with the small cost reduction. Since then my in laws decided to join us for the cruise (their first cruise ever) and wanted to book an inside cabin close to ours so I helped them by booking them an inside very close to us. They are on a fixed income and even the inside cabin was a stretch for them so I quickly agreed to help with the difference that they would not be able to come up with for the cruise. A no brainer for DW and I as this will be the one and only time they will get this opportunity as their budget consists of a small inheritance MIL received when a family member passed. It will cover most of the costs but not fully, that is where DW and I stepped in. We were going to purchase the UDP for the in laws as well so we would at least be able to have dinner together each evening. I was struggling with the fact I may have to pass on having breakfast and lunch in Cagney's everyday while on the ship, and priority embarkation and dis-embarkation, etc (I think you all get the picture) so I started to crunch some numbers for our cruise. All perks we were looking at reducing/eliminating with having DW's parents in the inside cabin was not something we were looking forward to but would have done for them as it would likely be their one and only cruise. So I set me mind to making the vacation of a lifetime for them.

I get dangerous on my days off and I started to think of other ways to save money and make the in laws trip extra special. And here is what I came up with....

• Cancel the SE suite and the I1 inside.
  • Make a new booking for all 5 of us in a DOS SA (2 bedroom version)
  • We get the Master Bedroom, in laws get the small bedroom and DS gets the sofa bed in the living room
  • Realize over $600 in savings by having all 5 in one suite.
  • Dilemma of the suite perks is now gone.
  • Everyone gets the suite perks...PRICELESS!

I changed our reservation today with our PCC and were instantly rewarded with a greater than a $600 savings with all of us now in the suite. Now we can all enjoy the perks of being in the suite complete with the UDP, UBP for DW and I and the Soda plan for the in-laws and our DS. A win win for all.

On a side note for the other Canadians in the crowd. When I locked in our pricing in CAD$ on Feb 1st I got the current NCL exchange rate at $1.16 which I was happy with as our dollar was trading at $.78 on that day and NCL gave me $.84. Today after the re-booking I got a rate of $.89 ($1.11/USd). They do claim they adjust their rates everyday so I guess I hit it lucky today. That is why it worked out better for us to do a complete cancellation of both rooms and start fresh with a new booking and not just do a room change and add the two extra passengers. The savings were about $200 less if we kept the original booking and just moved cabins and pax.

The only downside was our OBC. It went from $300 down to $200 with the current promo but I am fine with that because of the big picture savings we got for the reservation.

This is terrific for you! We thought that with the new promotion that maybe we would add our 17 dd to our reservation, and when we called our travel agent, she told us that the promo is for NEW RESERVATIONS ONLY, and that if we wanted to add our dd, we would have to cancel (paying over $900 for a cancellation fee), then re-book under the new price, or to add her to the existing reservation as a 3rd in our "mid ship balcony", the fee would be $2100!! NO THANK YOU! I decided to call NCL direct to confirm this, in which, they unfortunately did. We are very disappointed to say the least!!

This is terrific for you! We thought that with the new promotion that maybe we would add our 17 dd to our reservation, and when we called our travel agent, she told us that the promo is for NEW RESERVATIONS ONLY, and that if we wanted to add our dd, we would have to cancel (paying over $900 for a cancellation fee), then re-book under the new price, or to add her to the existing reservation as a 3rd in our "mid ship balcony", the fee would be $2100!! NO THANK YOU! I decided to call NCL direct to confirm this, in which, they unfortunately did. We are very disappointed to say the least!!

Granted, we are 44 days from sail away, and our final payment has already been made,....we are still disappointed that the fee involved to add another is so high.

As you can see by my thread title I am very happy today.

We, family of three, were booked in an aft penthouse SE under the Dec/Jan promo with the UDP, UBP, and $300 OBC deal on the Dawn for next year. When the KSF showed up in the combined promo launched on Feb 1st (then extended till the 2nd) I called my PCC to get our fare reduced slightly by virtue of having only one extra body in the stateroom. I was quite happy with the small cost reduction. Since then my in laws decided to join us for the cruise (their first cruise ever) and wanted to book an inside cabin close to ours so I helped them by booking them an inside very close to us. They are on a fixed income and even the inside cabin was a stretch for them so I quickly agreed to help with the difference that they would not be able to come up with for the cruise. A no brainer for DW and I as this will be the one and only time they will get this opportunity as their budget consists of a small inheritance MIL received when a family member passed. It will cover most of the costs but not fully, that is where DW and I stepped in. We were going to purchase the UDP for the in laws as well so we would at least be able to have dinner together each evening. I was struggling with the fact I may have to pass on having breakfast and lunch in Cagney's everyday while on the ship, and priority embarkation and dis-embarkation, etc (I think you all get the picture) so I started to crunch some numbers for our cruise. All perks we were looking at reducing/eliminating with having DW's parents in the inside cabin was not something we were looking forward to but would have done for them as it would likely be their one and only cruise. So I set me mind to making the vacation of a lifetime for them.

I get dangerous on my days off and I started to think of other ways to save money and make the in laws trip extra special. And here is what I came up with....

• Cancel the SE suite and the I1 inside.
  • Make a new booking for all 5 of us in a DOS SA (2 bedroom version)
  • We get the Master Bedroom, in laws get the small bedroom and DS gets the sofa bed in the living room
  • Realize over $600 in savings by having all 5 in one suite.
  • Dilemma of the suite perks is now gone.
  • Everyone gets the suite perks...PRICELESS!

I changed our reservation today with our PCC and were instantly rewarded with a greater than a $600 savings with all of us now in the suite. Now we can all enjoy the perks of being in the suite complete with the UDP, UBP for DW and I and the Soda plan for the in-laws and our DS. A win win for all.

On a side note for the other Canadians in the crowd. When I locked in our pricing in CAD$ on Feb 1st I got the current NCL exchange rate at $1.16 which I was happy with as our dollar was trading at $.78 on that day and NCL gave me $.84. Today after the re-booking I got a rate of $.89 ($1.11/USd). They do claim they adjust their rates everyday so I guess I hit it lucky today. That is why it worked out better for us to do a complete cancellation of both rooms and start fresh with a new booking and not just do a room change and add the two extra passengers. The savings were about $200 less if we kept the original booking and just moved cabins and pax.

The only downside was our OBC. It went from $300 down to $200 with the current promo but I am fine with that because of the big picture savings we got for the reservation.

Is this something you specifically had to ask for? I booked on-line on Jan. 30 - is the amount I'm seeing for a total in USD or CAD? Will they automatically convert it to CAD at a rate of $1.16 and charge that to my credit card or what? Please advise.

Oh my gosh, what a nice and generous thing to do for your inlaws. I know they will have the time of their lives!

About 10 years ago we took my inlaws on their one and only cruise and what surprised me was that they adapted to it so well they were busy all the time doing so many activities and we ONLY saw them at dinner and honestly, if we hadn't been there, they would have eaten ALL their meals in the buffet because they just LOVED that buffet!

Anyway, here's to you and your family and inlaws having an incredible time on this cruise and enjoying the "suite life" to the fullest!

Is this something you specifically had to ask for? I booked on-line on Jan. 30 - is the amount I'm seeing for a total in USD or CAD? Will they automatically convert it to CAD at a rate of $1.16 and charge that to my credit card or what? Please advise.

You have to request CAD pricing over the phone with a live rep from NCL. The NCL website only operates in USD and in fact you have to request CDN pricing as their reservation system automatically defaults to USD.

Originally Posted by jmele999

Congrats. Since you are traveling with your parents, did your remember to apply the AARP discount?

Actually we qualify for CARP (the Canadian equivalent to AARP) and received that discount as well. Please correct me if I am wrong but I understand that with AARP you need to be 55? I think I have read that somewhere at least. However with CARP there is no minimum age to qualify for the discount. I am getting close to 55 but I still have a number of years (all be it single digits) until I hit that milestone.

Actually we qualify for CARP (the Canadian equivalent to AARP) and received that discount as well. Please correct me if I am wrong but I understand that with AARP you need to be 55? I think I have read that somewhere at least. However with CARP there is no minimum age to qualify for the discount. I am getting close to 55 but I still have a number of years (all be it single digits) until I hit that milestone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually, you only have to be 50 to apply for CARP, I hit that miles stone year and half ago and it saved me several hundreds of dollars on my last cruise, as well as my upcoming one

Actually, you only have to be 50 to apply for CARP, I hit that miles stone year and half ago and it saved me several hundreds of dollars on my last cruise, as well as my upcoming one

Truth be told, CARP has no longer minimum age. It is now available to all. The following is directly from carp.ca. I joined at 46.

CARP is Making a Difference

CARP – A New Vision of Aging, has an unshakable commitment to advancing the rights and dignity of every person, regardless of age.

There are 300,000+ CARP Members across Canada and we are building a strong spirit of community and inclusiveness within our Membership. CARP celebrates people of all backgrounds, gender, values, abilities, family status, age, religious beliefs and sexual orientation.

CARP believes an aging population is a societal challenge and not just a concern for people once they hit a certain age or life stage. That’s why we removed the requirement to be 50 years old to join and why we emphasize creating positive intergenerational relationships. And you certainly don’t have to be retired to be a member.