Fairbanks - Journey above Artic Circle

joydisney

DH, myself, and DS - 28yrs old, are booked on Grand Princess / land tour in August. We start in Fairbanks. DS wants to go on the Journey above Artic Circle tour, but DH and I plan to do other things. When I try to book this thru Princess online, it keeps listing myself and son. I have tried to Edit, and uncheck my name, then I get the "updating, - unable to update at this time, please try later". Is this something I can book independent?

In 2009, I flew to Fairbanks before beginning my independent trip southward, including Denali and then catching my ship at Whittier. I used an independent company to drive to the Artic Circle(and beyond), then fly back to Fairbanks. I totally enjoyed it. The company I used was the Northern Alaska Tour Company. Only warning I will mention is that this tour makes for 1 long day. Their website is northernalaska.com. I just checked and the tour I took is still available. I would definitely recommend them.

Pam in IA.

I also highly recommend Northern Alaska tour company, have gone with them 4 times. I do however, only recommend their fly/road option or round trip fly option for the Arctic Circle day trip. Never the round trip road option. :)

DH, myself, and DS - 28yrs old, are booked on Grand Princess / land tour in August. We start in Fairbanks. DS wants to go on the Journey above Artic Circle tour, but DH and I plan to do other things. When I try to book this thru Princess online, it keeps listing myself and son. I have tried to Edit, and uncheck my name, then I get the "updating, - unable to update at this time, please try later". Is this something I can book independent?

I wonder if we are having the same problem. We tried to book the Husky Homestead Tour in Denali for just myself but when we bring up our list of reserved excursions, it shows both Dad and I. Won't let us change it. And now it says completely sold out so we're afraid to try canceling us both and re-reserving.

For the plane excursion and several others throughout this cruise tour, we found that it was listing as "not available" to reserve (despite each of them being within our time at the lodge). We called Princess and the rep signed us both up for the flight on her end.

I wonder if we are having the same problem. We tried to book the Husky Homestead Tour in Denali for just myself but when we bring up our list of reserved excursions, it shows both Dad and I. Won't let us change it. And now it says completely sold out so we're afraid to try canceling us both and re-reserving.

For the plane excursion and several others throughout this cruise tour, we found that it was listing as "not available" to reserve (despite each of them being within our time at the lodge). We called Princess and the rep signed us both up for the flight on her end.

Try contacting them on their website. Last time I was there for a few days and just booked them independently. There is a lot of room unless massive remodeling has been done and for me, the best thing was being outside with the dogs.

Try contacting them on their website. Last time I was there for a few days and just booked them independently. There is a lot of room unless massive remodeling has been done and for me, the best thing was being outside with the dogs.

Thanks for the tip. We had to call Princess about something else and got the rep to fix that reservation too. Now we just need to decide on which excursion we're doing in Ketchikan and Skagway.

• 2 months later...
I also highly recommend Northern Alaska tour company, have gone with them 4 times. I do however, only recommend their fly/road option or round trip fly option for the Arctic Circle day trip. Never the round trip road option. :)

Hello! I know that the road to/from the Arctic Circle is not paved. However, I am wondering just how rough the ride is and if you would not recommend it for people with back problems? I am o.k. with some bumps but a bit concerned about being jostled around for hours and wondered if it is that bad? I know there is the round-trip flight option as well, and that is of interest, but I thought we might see more from the road if we did that stretch in one direction. Thank you! :)

Hello! I know that the road to/from the Arctic Circle is not paved. However, I am wondering just how rough the ride is and if you would not recommend it for people with back problems? I am o.k. with some bumps but a bit concerned about being jostled around for hours and wondered if it is that bad? I know there is the round-trip flight option as well, and that is of interest, but I thought we might see more from the road if we did that stretch in one direction. Thank you! :)

You see a whole lot more doing a combo, and if just doing a flight, there are other areas, I prefer, rather than back and forth Coldfoot.

The vans are heavy duty suspended so more of a vibration than bouncing around. But, I would expect a few bumps just for the nature of the unpaved road. It is graded gravel, in overall, good condition.

Thank you for the information, Budget Queen! The trip I was looking at landed in Coldfoot, then drove to Wiseman and flew back. Which round trip flight tours/destinations would you recommend if not that one? We were considering Barrow as well since it would just be so interesting to see it, but we could only do a day trip. However, we are prone to cramming in as much as possible in the time we have when we travel so we can see as much as we can.

Thanks again!

Thank you for the information, Budget Queen! The trip I was looking at landed in Coldfoot, then drove to Wiseman and flew back. Which round trip flight tours/destinations would you recommend if not that one? We were considering Barrow as well since it would just be so interesting to see it, but we could only do a day trip. However, we are prone to cramming in as much as possible in the time we have when we travel so we can see as much as we can.

Thanks again!

Barrow is worth several days. I would never consider it a day trip, in my opinion. For beauty, flying round trip is Anaktuvuk Pass. I would also highly recommend a cargo flight. I fly with Warbelows.

Depends what you want to see and do. My opinion only, but I would only recommend Coldfoot and Wiseman with a combo tour. the road trip is a significant part of the experience.

Sorry, I'm not going to get into an "opinion" if the Dalton would be ok for you, or how "rough" it is, and you being able to tolerate it. I have no way of knowing this. I gave you a description of my rides on the highway. I would also question the Park Road, going into Denali Park, with your back issues, if on your itinerary.

Barrow is worth several days. I would never consider it a day trip, in my opinion. For beauty, flying round trip is Anaktuvuk Pass. I would also highly recommend a cargo flight. I fly with Warbelows.

Depends what you want to see and do. My opinion only, but I would only recommend Coldfoot and Wiseman with a combo tour. the road trip is a significant part of the experience.

Thank you! The fly/drive with Northern AK Tours doesn't go to Wiseman; they land at Coldfoot and then start driving back south. Is Wiseman worth seeing? We'd definitely like to get the best glimpse of the Arctic area in the day that we have, so whichever tour would provide that is probably what we'd want to do. Based on that, would Anaktuvuk Pass be the way to go, or the fly/drive to/from Coldfoot? Thank you so much for your feedback! Regarding the roads, as long as we aren't feeling like we are on a continuous pothole, we'd be fine. I just didn't know if we would literally be bumping up and down the whole ride or if it's just a bit bumpy. Since it is a long drive I wanted to make an informed decision, but I can handle a gravel road. Thanks again!

Thank you! The fly/drive with Northern AK Tours doesn't go to Wiseman; they land at Coldfoot and then start driving back south. Is Wiseman worth seeing? We'd definitely like to get the best glimpse of the Arctic area in the day that we have, so whichever tour would provide that is probably what we'd want to do. Based on that, would Anaktuvuk Pass be the way to go, or the fly/drive to/from Coldfoot? Thank you so much for your feedback! Regarding the roads, as long as we aren't feeling like we are on a continuous pothole, we'd be fine. I just didn't know if we would literally be bumping up and down the whole ride or if it's just a bit bumpy. Since it is a long drive I wanted to make an informed decision, but I can handle a gravel road. Thanks again!

Round trip flying is more scenic Anaktuvuk Pass. I just fly up and back on cargo flights, but tours are also offered, in the past. I know Jack, the Wiseman guide, meeting his sister as well. I've been in his house, which won't be on your tour. As I've mentioned, the combo tour- does give you the feel and desolation of the Dalton Highway. IF the Arctic Circle is of any interest, this has a stop at the actual "line", nice sign for photos. :) From the air, there is no "dotted line" to tell you where it is. :)

there is no best, I have done all these tours/flights (along with many others), what ever one you pick you are missing all the others. Just the way it is. If you truly have no preference, drawing out of a hat will still give you a great tour.

Round trip flying is more scenic Anaktuvuk Pass. I just fly up and back on cargo flights, but tours are also offered, in the past. I know Jack, the Wiseman guide, meeting his sister as well. I've been in his house, which won't be on your tour. As I've mentioned, the combo tour- does give you the feel and desolation of the Dalton Highway. IF the Arctic Circle is of any interest, this has a stop at the actual "line", nice sign for photos. :) From the air, there is no "dotted line" to tell you where it is. :)

there is no best, I have done all these tours/flights (along with many others), what ever one you pick you are missing all the others. Just the way it is. If you truly have no preference, drawing out of a hat will still give you a great tour.

Thank you ever so much, Budget Queen! Your insight and information is extremely helpful!!!

We just booked their fly and drive for 29 June! So excited! Great way to end our 30th anniversary trip to Alaska. Thanks.