German train inquiry

lil2queenie

lil2Queenie,

I found a lot of information from another member of this forum, Travelanni, her website has lots of information:

http://travelanni.webs.com/warnemnde.htm

We will take the train from Warnemunde to Schwerin, then to Rostock before returning to the ship. You can also do the train trip planning/order tickets here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?rt=1&

This was so helpful, I've just made my plans for the Warnemunde day of my cruise! Train to both Schwerin and then Ludwigslust (which I would have never learned of if it weren't for this thread) sound like an easy way to keep this girly (castle) history buff (WW II significance) occupied and still very relaxed. Thank you mokamaki!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is very easy to gö to Rostock by Train. It is a 21 Minute trip to Rostock Main station. The Warnemünde Station is only a few steps from the Cruise Terminal. In the summertime you can also do the trip by boat. You will find them a few Meters from the Terminal.

Edited by bertadackel

As a previous poster says, it is easy to take the train to Rostock from Warnemünde. The train goes to the main station and from there a #5 or #6 tram takes you to any of the three stops in the city centre; Neuer Markt, Langestrasse or Kröpeliner Tor.

Please note that the Rostock Public Transport ticket is valid for the whole journey, train and tram, but the Mecklenburg Lander Ticket is valid on the train only.

The boat is a privately operated sightseeing excursion boat not a ferry and is NOT covered by the Public Transport Day Ticket.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni,

Is it possible to combine Schwerin and then Ludwigslust in one day ? Our ship will dock at Warnemunde on a Tuesday in June (6am to 8pm). If there is no direct train service, what is the best way to get to Ludwigslust from Schwerin ? We are a group of 13 with two seniors. Thanks!

Anni,

Is it possible to combine Schwerin and then Ludwigslust in one day ? Our ship will dock at Warnemunde on a Tuesday in June (6am to 8pm). If there is no direct train service, what is the best way to get to Ludwigslust from Schwerin ? We are a group of 13 with two seniors. Thanks!

Hi, I am afraid that I cannot find any ship with your exact arrival and departure times on the official port schedule so I am assuming that it is either Rotterdam on 16/6 or Eurodam on 23/6 both of which have a departure time of 10pm. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The direct route between Schwerin and Ludwigslust will be closed from approx 24th May to 13th July due to track work.

I could cry to have to tell you this as I have been trying to attract visitors to Ludwigslust for a long time, pointing out how easy it is to combine Ludwigslust with Schwerin and now the railway company decides to do track work right in the middle of the cruise season.

You also have another complicaton in that, although you have a long time in port, your ship arrives too early for you to take full advantage of this and you will need to be back onboard fairly early in the evening. That said, both Schwerin and Ludwigslust can be done in one day but you would not have very long in either town as the travel times between them are longer and the connections not so convenient during the closure of the line.

Depart Rostock Hbf 9:07, arrive Schwerin Hbf 10:03.

Depart Schwerin Mitte 11:58, arrive Ludwigslust 13:39

Depart Ludwigslust 17:02, arrive Warnemünde 19:24

The above would be covered by the following Mecklenburg Lander tickets.

13 people = 3 tickets for 4 persons, cost 35 euros per ticket and 1 ticket for 1 person, cost 23 euros. You would also require single tickets for each person from Warnemünde to Rostock Hbf. The cost would be exactly the same if you only visit Schwerin.

Using this itinerary you could make a short visit to Rostock first if you wish, walk through the main areas of Schwerin viewing the castle from the outside, take the local train through the Mecklenburg countryside with typical small towns and villages and have enough time to explore Ludwigslust.

Ludwigslust is a pretty town with a Schloss, not so grand as Schwerin but it was the country home of the same ducal family and part of it is open to the public. The Schloss has a beautiful park and a couple of interesting churches, so you would still see pretty much the same things plus the WWll connection with the US.

If you, or any other cruisers arriving while the direct route is closed, are still interested I would be happy to meet you in Schwerin to help you get to Ludwigslust as the alternative route is a bit complicated. No ulterior motive here, just a desire to promote my home town and its attractions while helping cruisers to see something different.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com