Gluten free in Rome

Gator92

I will be in Rome for a few days prior to a cruise and need to eat gluten free. Any recommendations on places to try? I have heard it is fairly easy to do, but would love to hear some first hand accounts.

Thanks!

Barb

I can't cut and paste with my computer set up,but if you put Gluten free in the search engine re this thread there was a post with lots of repleis maybe a year ago or so that may be of hehelp to you. Also,look on Trip Advisor for some info as I know it is out there.

There is this place:

http://www.ristoranteilviaggio.it/it/ which specializes in gluten free

There is also a website, where I got this from called glutenfreetravelsite.com

Also, this restaurant: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d1034629-r132936978-La_Soffitta_Renovatio-Rome_Lazio.html

Haven't eaten at any of them but they have some good reviews.

Edited by Steirisch

One of my travel friends has Celiac, so she follows a gluten-free diet. I traveled with her in Spain and Italy and she had no problems dining in any restaurant we found. She became a fan of risotto. A good thing - some of the high-end gelaterias list gluten-free offerings. Gelateria Fatamorgana even has an owner who has Celiac and her offerings are all natural and so good (visit her website gelateriafatamorgana.it for info). Grom is a chain who also markets gluten-free gelato. (their website grom.it has a chart that shows which things are OK for people with different "intolerances"). I'm sure there are others, but these are the two I know about. My friend also has no problems finding gelato to eat wherever we are (there are a few in Florence we hit up).

Katie Parla did a good article on her blog in November about eating gluten-free in Rome. I've received good information personally from Katie on past trips and she is a frequent contributor to the chowhound website and numerous magazines. The pointer to her blog article: http://www.parlafood.com/gluten-free-dining-food-shopping-in-rome/

My DH is coeliac and before we went to Italy, he was quite concerned about eating in the home of pasta! It was a lot better than we'd feared- we didn't know that there is such a high incidence of gluten intolerance in Italy that school kids are tested for coeliac disease.

Everywhere we ate, as soon as he said 'senza glutine' they knew what the issue was, lots of places immediately offered gf pasta.

The gelato places such as Grom, pointed out coeliac friendly choices. Some of the gelato places also had gf cones!

Also, if you need gf snacks, they can easily be found in pharmacies rather than supermarkets. The pharmacy even stocked gf beer!

Restorante Renovatio La Soffitta near the Vatican, had gf pizza, pasta and tiramisu.

HTH