Sea sickness

marleedare

I have only been on 2 cruises, so I am in no way an expert, but here's what I know. First of all, last year was my first cruise, and I was TERRIFIED. I had never even been on so much as a fishing boat, so I had no idea how I would feel. I got all worked up over nothing because I had no trouble whatsoever. BUT, what I did do, was go prepared. I had my doctor call in a prescription for the patches, and I took Bonine with me. I didn't need either of them. I think going prepared gave me a sense of comfort.

From what I have read on these boards, I understand that the best place on the ship for people who experience seasickness is the middle of the ship, lower decks. I know several people who cruise often, and only one of them suffers from being seasick. She justs gets the patches from her doctor and she is fine. Hope this helps..and have a WONDERFUL cruise..

I suggest taking a Bonine starting the day before you cruise till the end. It is better to be safe than sorry.

The above poster is correct. Mid ship- mid deck. Our first cruise we had the hump on deck 7 and it got a bit choppy one evening and there was a difference between deck 12 and deck 7 in the amount of motion I felt. Our room was fine.

Second cruise we were on deck 9 more toward first 1/3 of the ship and it got REALLY rough (well what I think is rough- because there were sign telling you the outside decks were closed) going up the the Atlantic coast. The dining room was at the back and the diners were dropping like flies during dinner. :( For that reason I would never do an aft cabin, I don't want to take the chance:eek:of getting motion sickness. I forgot to take my Bonine that last night and boy was I sorry.

I have loved our cruises but I will pack my bonine - and use it every day.:D

I've gotten very seasick a couple of times. Once going through the tail end of a hurricane in the North Atlantic and once outside of Rome when they closed the port 15 minutes after we sailed because of high winds. I use the Seabands whenever I start getting that light headed feeling and then I'm fine. Bought them after the North Atlantic bout and was better by the end of the day. You can get them at travel shops and drug stores. About $7. They are elastic wrist bands with a pressure button on the inside. I also wear them on airplanes and it really helps that roar head discomfort. I know people that wear them for carsickness too. It is sure worth a try. I usually take something stronger but have never needed it after the initial storm is over.

Have a great trip.

Archived