About tipping.....again!!

barbyma

I have to say I love that chant. What a good way also to teach children proper etiquette. My daughter learned at a young age about tipping and I have to say that I am proud of her because at seventeen she is even a better tipper than I am.

I have to say I love that chant. What a good way also to teach children proper etiquette. My daughter learned at a young age about tipping and I have to say that I am proud of her because at seventeen she is even a better tipper than I am.

That was my experience also. You had to place your body just so and those cows would tip - I tell you what a blast that was.

Oh wait a minute - were you speaking of some other kind of tipping?:D

heaven forbid that a child learn it is proper to tip a waiter on a cruise.....

whats this world coming to. next you will tell me that we should teach children to chew with their mouths closed. :D

perhaps rs needs to visit my brotherin law...hes a proctologist maybe he can remove the stick out of rs's butt

We started giving tip money to our kids to distribute for their services when they were toddlers. I don't know whether or not they'll be good tippers, but at least it won't make them nervous.

I know many people who didn't grow up using the kinds of services that end in personal tips (handed, not put on the bill) and they now avoid situations like valet parking because they don't feel comfortable. My kids will never feel that way.

Barb

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from my first RCL cruise, I now finally understand all the posts on the RCL boards about tipping room service. I never did on Celebrity and thought maybe I had committed a faux pas. Now I know why people tip room service on RCL --the breakfast card has "gratuity not included" printed on it. You don't see that on Celebrity. Neither do you see an extra space for an extra tip on top of the 15% on the bar bills/spa services. And you don't see a spot for a tip on the bill for exercise class. My impression was that RCL is tip hungry. I always tip the standard plus a little extra, and rather resented being asked for even more. Somehow I am not surprised that the staff had the kids chanting "tip your waiter."

On the RCL plus side -- for the first time I actually had the head waiter (assistant maitre'd (sp?)) provide service. His tip is automatic if you put it on your ship board account, but discretionary if you pay in cash according to the envelope packet, which I thought weird. And I don't remember "ship shape dollars" accruing on Celebrity -- and I did purchase a gift with my 18 ship shape dollars on RCL.

Since our assistant waiter was the wine steward,(there is a separate wine steward on Celebrity), I kind of wondered who got the 15% on the wine, since the assistant waiter has his own tip envelope. Any one know?

I have to agree with those who think the "Tip your waiters" chant is rather coarse and crass. Tipping should be done in a quiet, discreet manner. Personally, if I were a waiter, I think I'd be embarassed by this display. As for teaching children that it's appropriate to tip for good service, I think parents would be better off to explain it privately; kids will emulate their parents' behavior (which they'll have watched for years by the time they're ready to pay tips themselves) more readily than they will remember a silly song. Yes, crass is the word.

I don't think a kids' parade is going to make any non-tippers say, "Oh, well, I wasn't going to tip, but those kids were so cute . . . " Non-tippers have already justified their decision in their own minds, and they won't be swayed.

As for the pictures, I love pictures of my kiddos. I take TONS of my own pictures, and I still buy some from the ship. However, I think the staff could've found a better place to take these pictures (perhaps in the kids' area before the parade) instead of making a spectacle in the main dining room.

I have to agree with those who think the "Tip your waiters" chant is rather coarse and crass. Tipping should be done in a quiet, discreet manner. Personally, if I were a waiter, I think I'd be embarassed by this display. ....

I think the staff could've found a better place to take these pictures (perhaps in the kids' area before the parade) instead of making a spectacle in the main dining room.

As far as I know, they never entered the dining room. This was long after dinner. This was "pirate night" at "late night party zone", late in the week. According to my son, they chanted many different things; this was just the one chant we heard when they passed us.

The pictures were taken at the only appropriately decorated place for "pirate night" -- outside the Schooner Bar. They have rigging and an old captain's wheel.

Barb

I believe this was poor judgement on the AO staffs part, but not done out of greed.

I can imagine a tired AO staff thinking this is funny. Professionals or not they are young adults and learn from their mistakes. Hopefully someone pointed out how this chant could be viewed as the cruise line using kids to ensure their staff gets paid that week. If they were saying tip the AO staff I would think it was greed.

Bobbie

I believe this was poor judgement on the AO staffs part, but not done out of greed.

I can imagine a tired AO staff thinking this is funny. Professionals or not they are young adults and learn from their mistakes. Hopefully someone pointed out how this chant could be viewed as the cruise line using kids to ensure their staff gets paid that week. If they were saying tip the AO staff I would think it was greed.

Bobbie

Sorry, but I think it's funny. It's cute and it's funny.

It's NOT a big deal and I seriously doubt they offended anyone. At least not anyone who doesn't deserve to be offended (e.g., someone who doesn't tip).

Flame away.

Barb

Sorry, but I think it's funny. It's cute and it's funny.

It's NOT a big deal and I seriously doubt they offended anyone. At least not anyone who doesn't deserve to be offended (e.g., someone who doesn't tip).

Flame away.

Barb

If that was not dierected at me please skip the next part....

If that was directed at me.... for the record I would have thought it funny if I heard it, but I am not easily offended. But that is just me. Why did you quote my post? I never said I would have been offended. Relax. Or was it just the last post you read? If you want to argue I'm game, but I would rather do something more meaningful with my time on here. Although this board is beginging to amuse me more than before. I feel like I am arguing with my teenagers most of the time.

It still was probably poor judgement on AO's part. I don't think their supervisors would have approved of the chant.

Why did you quote my post? I never said I would have been offended. ...It still was probably poor judgement on AO's part. I don't think their supervisors would have approved of the chant.

Nope, I'm not arguing with you. I just disagree that it was poor judgement.

I didn't quote you because I thought you were offended (nor did I, for even a moment, think you don't tip). I inferred from your comment that you thought someone might be offended.

The quote was meant to frame my response; I do not think it was poor judgement and I doubt anyone was offended. If they were, perhaps they deserved to be.

Just for the record, I'm not even certain that the AO counselors started the chant. It could have been my goofy 7 year old!:p

Barb

I am glad we agree the chant was funny.

I just know how some people can be. If someone on this board was offended than chances are a cruiser was and AO staff would get in trouble. AO staff overall awesome and I would hate for them to get in real trouble (fired) for offending a cruiser.

About tipping I don't ever take that personal because tipping is personal and I would never not tip...LOL

About the chant being bad judgement(sp? too much wine maybe?)... anything that may put your job on the line is poor judgement. IMO

About 7 yr olds. Enjoy yours. He/she sounds like my kind of kid. Too bad mine are older :( I may need a little one again someday to keep me laughing. I applaud you for even teaching your child to tip...let alone think he/she could start a chant like that to benefit someone else.

Okay now I am off to help my fiancee tear out the bathroom. The cats (indoor only) decided to open the screen door and escape again so I got distracted praying they would not get hit by a car while trying to chase them into the house. Funny how it is only the two "kittens" who escape, not the older two. Naughty boys...but I love them!

Bobbie

Archived