Fascination and Victory to San Juan

cruisexlife

http://201.220.14.28/sxm/MainMenu.aspx?ShipScheduleType=2

(hope the link works)

Check the Saturdays in St.Maarten, calling every Saturday, just like the ships from San Juan do.

Fascination has weekly calls from April 23rd-November 3rd, 2016

Victory begins weekly calls on November 11th, 2016, and continues on into 2017.

I really wasn't expecting this. Maybe Fascination is just doing a summer season down in SJU, to cover the ship absence, and then Triumph replaces Victory in Miami, and Victory picks up the San Juan routes, sending the Fascination back to Jacksonville?

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm just thankful that I decided to do the San Juan cruise this year instead of next. If the Fascination was there now, I would have seriously considered the offerings of RCCL and Celebrity out of San Juan. It's not that the Fascination is a bad ship, it's just so old, small and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that I like in a cruise ship.

i don't see carnival putting 2 ships out of san juan.

although it has perhaps one of the BEST itineraries.... they sell for waaaay less than other 'in-demand' ports. i think it is in part due to the high airfare per person. it's just not carnival's demographic.

if it was so awesome, why would they put liberty there for such a short period, to move it to galveston (basically their highest 'in-demand' port), and even cancel cruises?

they've always slighted PR a little, with 'still acceptable big ships', but never the 'latest greatest'.

that's also why i do not believe magic will go to PR.

although it has perhaps one of the BEST itineraries.... they sell for waaaay less than other 'in-demand' ports. i think it is in part due to the high airfare per person. it's just not carnival's demographic.

if it was so awesome, why would they put liberty there for such a short period, to move it to galveston (basically their highest 'in-demand' port), and even cancel cruises?

they've always slighted PR a little, with 'still acceptable big ships', but never the 'latest greatest'.

I think I would just want a ship younger than 20 years old. I think the airfare costs are a big factor in the pricing as sailing from San Juan on the other lines is pretty affordable too. It isn't cheap or easy to fly to San Juan but at least the great itinerary can make up for that.

At this point, I would be shocked if the Magic ended up somewhere outside of Florida. I believe the odds on favorite is Port Canaveral but Port Everglades may also be in consideration.

i don't see carnival putting 2 ships out of San Juan.

Its not a far fetched idea. Carnival used to have two ships based out of San Juan. Royal Caribbean used to have three, 2 doing 7 night itineraries and one doing 3/4 night itineraries. Even today, Royal still has two, including a Voyager class ship

http://201.220.14.28/sxm/MainMenu.aspx?ShipScheduleType=2

(hope the link works)

Check the Saturdays in St.Maarten, calling every Saturday, just like the ships from San Juan do.

Fascination has weekly calls from April 23rd-November 3rd, 2016

Victory begins weekly calls on November 11th, 2016, and continues on into 2017.

I really wasn't expecting this. Maybe Fascination is just doing a summer season down in SJU, to cover the ship absence, and then Triumph replaces Victory in Miami, and Victory picks up the San Juan routes, sending the Fascination back to Jacksonville?

What are your thoughts on this?

Fascination used to sail from San Juan when she was new. She took over that route from the Tropicale, and included a stop in Venezuala.

Victory also used to sail from there as well.

I think the airfare costs are a big factor in the pricing.

It isn't cheap or easy to fly to San Juan but at least the great itinerary can make up for that

San Juan is now one of the airports with the most flights operated by low cost airlines. Jet Blue, Southwest and Spirit all fly into San Juan, in addition to all the legacy carriers.

And about it being easy to get there, yes it's not as easy as getting to Florida but it's still pretty easy. You're normally one connecting flight away from San Juan as its served nonstop daily from most hubs east of the Rockies.

San Juan is now one of the airports with the most flights operated by low cost airlines. Jet Blue, Southwest and Spirit all fly into San Juan, in addition to all the legacy carriers.

And about it being easy to get there, yes it's not as easy as getting to Florida but it's still pretty easy. You're normally one connecting flight away from San Juan as its served nonstop daily from most hubs east of the Rockies.

Have the fares come down as well? We were always thrilled with the cruise cares, but the air fares were often more than the cruise fare. Combined, it was the same as sailing out of a premium port without air.

they used to have two ships from their doing two different itineraries

Have the fares come down as well? We were always thrilled with the cruise cares, but the air fares were often more than the cruise fare. Combined, it was the same as sailing out of a premium port without air.

It's definitely not cheap to fly there. This upcoming October with one connection, the cheapest I can find from Pittsburgh on a legacy is around $425. I can fly nonstop to Miami for $200. Hopefully when Southwest opens their schedule for October next week, I'll be able to get a deal.

You misunderstood my post. Only one ship would be there, the Victory would come and replace the Fascination.

That would be depressing to have the Fascination sailing from Puerto Rico...

She's just too old. I did X Summit from SJU this past Fall and I can tell you now that the Fascination is just not going to cut it.

Edited by Georgie562

I fly Southwest to San Juan RT from Columbus for $300pp. It was a steal. Dont just assume the airfare to SJU is always expensive, there are deals to be had.

The cruise from San Juan is fabulous, though I am with some of the other comments on here, I dont think I will do it on a Fantasy class ship. Even with the very busy port schedule and only 1 sea day, I just dont think the Fantasy class is the best option. If I were going to do another cruise from San Juan, I would look at other lines.

I fly Southwest to San Juan RT from Columbus for $300pp. It was a steal. Dont just assume the airfare to SJU is always expensive, there are deals to be had.

The cruise from San Juan is fabulous, though I am with some of the other comments on here, I dont think I will do it on a Fantasy class ship. Even with the very busy port schedule and only 1 sea day, I just dont think the Fantasy class is the best option. If I were going to do another cruise from San Juan, I would look at other lines.

I am flying direct from Baltimore the sunday before Easter and Easter Sunday for $350 pp, which is GREAT for holiday flights. Absolutely love Southwest.

A Fantasy class would work if they were going to try and do some 4/5 night cruises for people to combine with a stay in PR. That would be a big step for Carnival, but I know it would be nice to have a cruise to Aruba and Curacao from Saturday to Thursday, and from Thursday to Sunday, tour around PR.

But you're right, they need at least a Triumph-class ship

That schedule doesn't mean that the Fascination is leaving to be homeported in San Juan for 7 day cruises. Maybe they're finally moving the Fascination and putting in a different Fantasy-class ship in Jacksonville??

Well right now, the Carnival itinerary from San Juan is as follows:

Sun: San Juan

Mon: St.Thomas

Tues: Sea Day

Wed: Barbados

Thurs: St.Lucia

Fri: St.Kitts

Sat: St.Maarten

Sun: San Juan

Considering it is making weekly stops at St.Maarten on Saturday from April-November 2016, my guess is that it will be homeported from there. The ships from Florida have midweek calls, and are either picking up new people on Saturday, or getting ready tro drop them back off on Sunday.

And for the Victory to pick up right as the Caribbean season begins, it only leads me to believe that the Fasciantion is taking a little summer season in San Juan, because that's the best Carnival can pull off at the moment, and Victory will pick up once people begin to flock to the ships to escape the cold.

That would be depressing to have the Fascination sailing from Puerto Rico...

She's just too old. I did X Summit from SJU this past Fall and I can tell you now that the Fascination is just not going to cut it.

Is this thread speculation or fact? It would be dissapointing if a fantasy class ship cruised that itinerary but maybe carnival has problems booking thatvcruise during certain months? I really enjoy cruising out of san juan, its my favorite although new orleans is a close second.

Is this thread speculation or fact? It would be dissapointing if a fantasy class ship cruised that itinerary but maybe carnival has problems booking thatvcruise during certain months? I really enjoy cruising out of san juan, its my favorite although new orleans is a close second.

it would be speculation if the link to the st.maarten time tables wasnt added. the carnival fascination is scheduled to dock in phillipsburg every Saturday from late April 2016 to Early November 2016, and then to be resumed by the carnival victory November 11th and on through April 2017. so while nothing is official, there is evidence to back it up.

I would love for Jacksonville and/or Charleston to get a ship with more amenities tha the Fantasy and Fascination. Fingers crossed!

The Fascination leaving Jacksonville could also mean NO ship at all. I hope not since that's one of my closest ports of embarkation, but Carnival's departure has been on the table for a very long time, ever since the city started (unsuccessfully) looking for a place to build a permanent cruise terminal since the current one is a temporary terminal built on land owned by a foreign shipping company. That uncertainty was part of the reason why Charleston got a ship; to secure a port of embarkation in that region in case Jacksonville couldn't solve the cruise terminal issue.

Now that the opposition in Charleston seems to be dying down, Carnival may be considering finally pulling the plug permanently on Jacksonville. At least they won't have a multi million dollar, brand new cruise terminal sitting empty, like Mobile. Hey! But maybe if Jacksonville looses a ship, Charleston will get a bigger one to make up for it! :)

Btw, this is all just my speculation. :o

Edited by Tapi