Machu Picchu

Katesowner

I read other posts about Machu Picchu but would like updated info. We are senior citizens in good health going on the NCL Sun San Diego to Chile in November. The ship offers an optional 3-day excursion with the visit to Machu Picchu happening the second day. Cost is about $1900pp, expensive but with no worries about logistics or missing the ship.

We'd appreciate input from others who have done this tour in combination with a cruise. Our main concern: is there time enough (1 day before MP) to overcome any altitude sickness?

Thanks!

We did a cruise similar to this a few years ago. If at all possible I would add a few extra days on the end of your cruise to visit Machu Picchu and do it independently. It will be less expensive than the ships tour, you wont miss two days of your cruise and you will be able to visit Cusco and Machu Picchu for far less $$.

We were nervous about doing this but we took the advice of GREATAM who posts on these boards and her information was spot on. We had a really wonderful time and was able to adjust to the altitude slowly and enjoy more time at Machu picchu.

I was amazed at how the altitude affected us and we saw quite a few people having to have oxygen. Physical health and age did not seem to be factor in who suffered.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how your cruise line does it but how Holland America does it is pretty brutal.

On the repo cruise from Vancouver to Valparaiso, pax that paid the $4,000+ a person to go to Machu Picchu had 4am wake-up calls every day for 3 days. 1st day is to get off the ship upon arrival to fly to Cusco via Lima.

As far as altitude goes, the air gateway to Machu Picchu is Cusco. This airport is at the 3,400m (~12,000') level. That's 4,000' above what airline cabins are typically pressurised to. Agues Calientes, the town below MP is at ~2,000m ASL (~6,600') - the equivalent of lake Tahoe.

Anyway, the pax spent their first night in Cusco. Some were hospitalised for AMS. 4a wakeup for train to AC to see MP. Not sure where 3rd night was but again a 4a wakeup to get back to LIM to board the ship. They got to the pier at 330p for a 4p sailing.

It takes about 2 weeks for your body to "adjust" to altitude by growing more oxyhaemoglobin.

FWIW, biz class tickets to LIM are cheap.

Just thought I'd add a bit re: altitude as I was in Peru last year. We started in Lima and flew to Cusco which is over 11,000 feet. We immediately went to a lower altitude in the Sacred Valley and then to Machu Picchu which is around 8,000 ft. We were with a tour group of about 25 and there were varying degrees of accomodation to the altitude even going lower immediately. With a short trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu that time for accomodation is much less. I LOVED Machu Picchu and Peru was a fabulous trip. However, I don't see tacking it onto the middle of a SA cruise unless it is an extension at the end. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents....have a great trip!

I agree you need more time both in case of altitude sickness and because the area deserves so much more time.

I have read that older people often suffer less from altitude sickness. I was 61 when we went. We flew from Lima to Cuzco and I had no problems. We allowed several days there to recover and explore Cuzco. Then we took a bus down into the Sacred Valley and spent a couple wonderful days there before taking the train to Aguas Calientes.

I was so glad we had time to explore the markets, the fantastic Inca and earlier people's sites and to enjoy the lovely people.

I would do this another time. There are many organized trips if you do not want to plan it yourselves. You could combine this trip with the Galapagos or other places.

One more thing...there are some great "deals" to Peru and, along with maryann, highly recommend allowing yourself to embrace the whole experience. I went for Machu Picchu and fell in love with so much more. If you would like any info on the tour group we used which was really economical compared to some send me a private message .

We have a combo Peru-Galapagos trip scheduled for next September. Roughly the itinerary is flying to Lima for a couple of days, then a day in the Sacred Valley (via a flight to Cusco, of course), train to MP with an overnight in Aguas Caliente, train back to Cusco and a day in Cusco, train to Puno (Lake Titicaca) day on Lake then fly back to Lima for an overnight at Airport Hotel prior to flight to Quito for connection to 7 day Galapagos cruise.

If you find a list clearer:

• Two nights in Lima
  • One night Sacred Valley
  • One Night Machu Picchu
  • Two nights Cusco
  • One Night Lake Titicaca
  • One night Lima (arrive late leave early)
  • One night Quito
  • Seven day Galapagos Cruise
  • One night Guayaquil on way home

I know we're not spending enough time in any one place to really do it justice. Also, have been along Peru's coast on a South American cruise (spent two whole days in Lima).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hints?

Thanks,

Greg

We have a combo Peru-Galapagos trip scheduled for next September. Roughly the itinerary is flying to Lima for a couple of days, then a day in the Sacred Valley (via a flight to Cusco, of course), train to MP with an overnight in Aguas Caliente, train back to Cusco and a day in Cusco, train to Puno (Lake Titicaca) day on Lake then fly back to Lima for an overnight at Airport Hotel prior to flight to Quito for connection to 7 day Galapagos cruise. Thanks, Greg

Great to hear about Greg's combo Peru-Galapagos "adventure" scheduled for next September. Sorry, we have not been, yet, to these areas, but they are on our future "to-do" lists. But, we just got done doing the Amazon River and Caribbean and have South Africa and Botswana next on our lists for early 2016 on the Silversea Silver Cloud, etc. More details on those trips are detailed below.

We still have wonderful memories from being with Greg and Company in July 2010 on the Silver Cloud. Look forward to learning more about these areas for future planning.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 20,560 views for these postings.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 175,278 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Greg: I think your trip sounds prefect. You can always spend more time in a place but if you only have a short amount of time, then you just need to maximize your time. Did you make your arrangements through a tour company, and if so, which one? We used Escaped to Latin America/Condor Travel last year and were very satisfied with them. Would love to do the Galapagos. Who are you using for the cruise?

Greg: I think your trip sounds prefect. You can always spend more time in a place but if you only have a short amount of time, then you just need to maximize your time. Did you make your arrangements through a tour company, and if so, which one? We used Escaped to Latin America/Condor Travel last year and were very satisfied with them. Would love to do the Galapagos. Who are you using for the cruise?

Our cruise is on Silversea (wanted a 7 day cruise in the Galapagos and we've sailed SS a couple of times and have enjoyed).

For land we're using My Excursions. Our cruise TA has used them before for clients in SA. It will be our first go with them though. Mostly we do it ourselves. That said we've used Red October in St. Petersburg and Tours By Locals in other places. We've been happy with all so far.

Will post when we get back including commenting on Tour providers.

Greg

Greg: Glad to hear you were satisfied with your "tours by locals". We have booked them for a private tour in Rio on our first day (of 3 days during Carnival). There will be 6 adults.

4 of us are also doing a pre cruise stop to see Machu Picchu. We have just completed reservations through company called "Latin America for Less". Has anyone used them before, or heard of them?

Our tour:

Day 1: we arrive late in Lima, Peru

Day 2: Lima, Peru on our own.

Day 3: will fly from Lima to Cuszo, w/afternoon to rest and get acclimated to the high climate.

Day 4 will be a tour of the Sacred Valley... Explore the Peruvian countryside with a full-day tour of the Sacred Valley, including stops in the town of Pisac, Ollantaytambo fortress and other locations * End at the Ollantaytambo train station for your train to Machu Picchu * Meeting at the trains station and assistance to your hotel * Overnight in Machu Picchu area.

Day 5:* Early morning bus transfer to the ruins * Guided tour of Machu Picchu, including visits to the Sun Stone, Sun Temple, and the Room of 3 Windows * Free time to hike around the local trails and enjoy lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge * Afternoon bus transfer to the train station and your return to Cusco by train * Overnight in Cusco

Day 6: morning time to explore Cusco on our own, afternoon, fly Cusco to Lima.

Day 7: we fly from Lima to Buenos Aires to spend several days before we board the Infinity for our 14 night cruise that includes 3 days in Rio during Carnival.

We have limited time in Peru, but wanted to make a stop to see Machu Picchu while there.

We just got back from the Valpariso to FLL Celebrity cruise on the Infinity. My DW and I elected to add the Celebrity 5 day pretour to Machu Pichu. Frankly I did not want to do the planning and the risk of hypoxia concerned us since we are in our late 60's. I gravitated to this tour since it limited time spent over 9,000 feet. We did not stay in Cusco. The tour (by Lima Tours) was well organized, but brutal. the daily wakeup calls at 6 AM, pack and un pack, and the endless bus transfers were tiresome. Despite the exhaustion, the trip was extremely satisfying for us.

Knowing what I know now, I would do this excursion privately, and I would do it as follows.

Day 1

Fly into Cusco early AM.

Immediately take a prehire taxi(originating from Orubamba or Ollantaytambo) via highway Have the taxi stop at Ollantaytambo fortress for a tour, before boarding a late Peru Railways train to Aguas Calientes (base camp for Machu Pichu)

Stay at a Aguas Calientes Hotel

Day 2

Take an early bus up to Machu Pichu see it before the crowds and spend the day, not 3 hours which the group tours spend)

Day 3

Either stay another day or take the train to Orubamba and then taxi to Cusco Airport. there are more trains to Ollantaytambo so you have more flexibility

Why did I abbreviate the time in Cusco and environs? Minimal time above 8000 ft and we were not that impressed by Cusco. IMHO

Cusco Airport has all kinds of hypoxia remedies I recommend all of them.

If you are taking a cruise before or after, take a backpack or duffel for your trip to Machu Pichu and leave the balance of your baggage at your hotel in the origination city. Ours was LIma Peru.

We are in our mid-60's. I've been to Peru and Machu Picchu twice. The first time, we flew into Cusco in the a.m. and then immediately went to the Sacred Valley (2 nights); MP (2 nights), and then back to Cusco for 2 nights. The second time, we flew into Cusco in the afternoon, rested, then drove to the Sacred Valley the next day, took the train to Aquas Calientes, then back to Cusco. Neither time did I experience any altitude sickness but I agree that you should probably go immediately to the SV to avoid the possibility of.

We decided to spend two nights in MP so that we could get up early to see the sunrise. We had a guide for 3 hours but then spent another 5 to 6 hours on our own. It was a long day so we spent a second night in MP so we could get a good night's sleep, and then got up and took the train back to Ollantaytambo where we had a driver to take us to some of the sites on the way back to Cusco (Moray and Maras salt mines which were very interesting). We spent two nights in Cusco before flying back to Lima.

There is where I have to disagree with you. If you spend some time in the SV, I think it's easier to acclimate to the altitude in Cusco. Also, we enjoyed our time in Cusco. There are things to see in Cusco (the Spanish church built on top of the Incan ruins; the Plaza de Armas; some interesting museums) and just outside of Cusco, such as Sacsayhuaman. Unless you plan on going back to Peru again, I would see as much as you can see. I've been fortunate enough to go twice and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

We are in our mid-60's. I've been to Peru and Machu Picchu twice. The first time, we flew into Cusco in the a.m. and then immediately went to the Sacred Valley (2 nights); MP (2 nights), and then back to Cusco for 2 nights. The second time, we flew into Cusco in the afternoon, rested, then drove to the Sacred Valley the next day, took the train to Aquas Calientes, then back to Cusco. Neither time did I experience any altitude sickness but I agree that you should probably go immediately to the SV to avoid the possibility of.

We decided to spend two nights in MP so that we could get up early to see the sunrise. We had a guide for 3 hours but then spent another 5 to 6 hours on our own. It was a long day so we spent a second night in MP so we could get a good night's sleep, and then got up and took the train back to Ollantaytambo where we had a driver to take us to some of the sites on the way back to Cusco (Moray and Maras salt mines which were very interesting). We spent two nights in Cusco before flying back to Lima.

There is where I have to disagree with you. If you spend some time in the SV, I think it's easier to acclimate to the altitude in Cusco. Also, we enjoyed our time in Cusco. There are things to see in Cusco (the Spanish church built on top of the Incan ruins; the Plaza de Armas; some interesting museums) and just outside of Cusco, such as Sacsayhuaman. Unless you plan on going back to Peru again, I would see as much as you can see. I've been fortunate enough to go twice and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

It's definitely an individual decision. Our home in Florida is at 140 ft above sea level. Spokane is around 2000 ft. You are acclimated to 2000ft more altitude to start with. As far SV, we saw the sites you described. No reason one couldn't see them and not stay in Cusco.

I am sensitive to hypoxia since one of my pilot friends had major health issues after exposure at only 10,000 ft. I wrote this not to discourage travel to MP but to travel safer.

Here is one more opinion. In December we did the Celebrity tour with Lima Tours post cruise and enjoyed it very much.

I have been afflicted with altitude sickness all my life so took Rx of Diamox and had not even one symptom. It was wonderful.

Everyone in our group agreed it is something to see and to do it when you are young and active is even better.

When we flew from Lima to Cusco and spent the night, we took Diamoxx. Don't know if we would have had any problems but figured it was better to be safe than sorry. We also drank the coca tea and took a nap before venturing out. Again, everyone reacts differently to the attitude. If it's on your bucket list, go for it.

When we flew from Lima to Cusco and spent the night, we took Diamoxx. Don't know if we would have had any problems but figured it was better to be safe than sorry. We also drank the coca tea and took a nap before venturing out. Again, everyone reacts differently to the attitude. If it's on your bucket list, go for it.

Ahh , pharma the great discriminator. Unfortunately acetazolamide is a sulpha based diuretic drug which my DW is allergic to.

Hence my suggested low altitude approach. Like I implied with my first comment to this thread, each individual has to assess their situation.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be debarking the Holland America 16-DAY INCAN EMPIRES 16 cruise from San Diego to Lima, Peru on Dec.2. We will overnight on the ship on Dec. 1.

My question is, can I debark the ship, get to the airport in Lima, deal with customs and fly to Cusco that same morning. How long would this process take?

We would like to spend the day in Cusco and see as many sights as possible.

On the second day we would, transfer 1½ hours by bus to Ollanta Station. From there it is a 1½-hour Vistadome train ride along the Urubamba River to the Aguas Calientes Train Station and spend the night in Aquas Calietes. The next day we would take the short walk to the bus loading area, and a 25-minute coach ride to Machu Picchu. Where should we stay when we leave Machu Picchu (Aquas Calientes) # days?

What is the most scenic way back to Cucuso ?

In November 2014, my husband and I did a 7 day celebrity xPedition cruise of the Galápagos Islands and then spent additional time visiting Peru. We loved both parts of the trip and had no difficulty with Altitude sickness (and we chose not to take Diamox fearing trouble from side effects). We are in our mid 50s and in decent shape.

Here's our itinerary:

Day 1: Boston to quito, late arrival, stayed at Hilton Colon

Day 2: toured Quito

Day 3: flew from Quito to Guayaquil to Baltra, overnight in Santa Cruz

Days 4 to 10: cruise

Day 11: VERY long travel day. Baltra to Guayaquil to Quito to Lima. Overnight Doubletree Pardo

Day 12: touring Lima

Day 13: Lima to Cusco, transfer to SV via Maras and Salineras , overnight Sol Y Luna, Urubamba

Day 14: Vistadome to Aguas Calientes, afternoon in MP, overnight SUMAQ

Day 15: morning in MP, afternoon train to Poroy, transfer to Cusco, overnight El Mercado Tunqui

Day 16&17: touring Cusco and surrounding area

day 18: Morning flight to Lima, afternoon walking around Lima, late flight home to Boston

We used escaped to Latin america/Peru for the Peru portion and would highly recommend them. Transfers were seamless and very helpful (and we have always traveled independently before

Glad we had afternoon no morning on separate days in MP; didn't want to risk bad weather so had a better chance of at least one good day

We did not need to return to Quito. If I did it again, I would have flown to Guayaquil and then on to the galapagos.

We really enjoyed Lima--great food, very walkable, right on Pacific

Happy to answer any questions. And if you want to see my hotel and restaurant reviews on Tripadvisor, my screen name there is luvstx.

I personally like to make the most of our time wherever we go and tend to cram into our schedule too much. but for this trip I would recommend taking it easy. depending on when you arrive in lima and when your flight out to cusco is. we arrived after a long evening flight into lima arriving at 1 or 2am and just stayed in the airport for our early flight out. we had our transfer booked to take us right down to the SV. stopping only for a couple of photo ops, we were dropped at the train which took us to Aguas callientes. we arrived in our hotel sumaq at 3/4 pm. we were zonked!! my DH didn't think he would make our early tour we were so exhausted. we went right to bed and were fine after that. booked everything myself, hotels, transfers,flights etc

PS for luggage we left the big ones at the airport in baggage claim. paid to leave them there, so no dragging them around, good advice.

My question is, can I debark the ship, get to the airport in Lima, deal with customs and fly to Cusco that same morning. How long would this process take?

Where should we stay when we leave Machu Picchu (Aquas Calientes) # days?

What is the most scenic way back to Cucuso ?

I don't know how long debarkation will take. The good thing is that the ship docks in Callao and the airport is also in Callao. We could see it from the ship.

If I had to do it again, I would prearrange transportation from Cusco's airport directly to the Sacred Valley. There is plenty to see. We spent time in Pisac and 2 nights in Ollantaytambo which I enjoyed very much. More Peruvian than foreign tourists and quieter than Machu Pichu. The Sacred Valley has a lower altitude than Cusco. After visiting Machu Pichu (amazing!), we returned by train to Cuzco, spent 2 nights there with one entire day dedicated to sightseeing. We used Escaped to Latin America for our arrangements.

One more thing, you cannot take your suitcases on the train to Machu Pichu. It is therefore advisable to use the same hotel in Cusco or Ollantaytambo before and after your train ride to Machu Pichu. They will store your luggage. We took a small backpack and a really small board case on the train.

- I went to Peru in 1953, and visited Macho Pichu, which I had never heard of before I went. The experience was MUCH different than now.

7 AM, wake up and wash in cold water (water heater was turned on in best hotel in town at 7).

Breakfast and walk to train station.

Tour ruins.

Train to Cusco, arriving at hotel, which had water heater on from 6 to 7 PM.!

Not the cleanest day I've had.

I don't want to rain on your parade, however the expense, extra time traveling, & packing just is not worth it. You will likely feel rushed & unprepared for this wonderful experience.

My wife & I are in our late 60's, worked out for several months to be in our best physical shape for the climbing & walking around Machu Picchu. It definitely help us enjoy this area much more. Anyone can get altitude sickness regardless of their physical conditioning or age.

We did a land base trip to see this site. We spent time at Cusco to get somewhat use to the high altitude ( 2 days ) Continuously drank the coca tea & chewed on the coca leaves. We had no problems walking around Machu Picchu. We drank no alcohol until we had finished our 2 days climbing around this area. Upon completion we celebrated with a late lunch in town & a liter of beer, while taking many great pictures of the river that flows through town. Soon after we boarded the train for the return trip.

If it were me I would completely forgo this trip through the cruise line & do it with a land based group who will provide excellent local guides in every place your visit. Also you will see much more of Peru & enjoy this trip more visiting areas you cannot reach via the cruise ship. Seems this excursion is very expensive & you have no guarantee of having a good time.

Just my 2cents worth.... John