Sightseeing advice for Los Angeles

Davey.B

We will be in Los Angeles 2 days prior to our Sapphire cruise in Feb.2006.We are staying in Beverly Hills and we do not plan on renting a car.Would appreciate advice on recommended tour operators and worthwhile sights to see.We are in our early 50's and have never been to L.A before so we are open to any suggestions for interesting tours (excluding theme parks)and memorable retaurants:) .Thanks for your help.

Not sure what your likes and dislikes are, but here are some ideas, for beaches and city, day and night, some more contemporary, some more reserved, not sure what time of year you are going:

Getty Center

An afternoon strolling the boardwalk at Venice/Santa Monica Beach (People watching)

(end the night with dinner at the Ivy, right across from pier)

Museum of Tolerance/Holocaust -- mind numbing, but forever memorable

Museum of Contemp Art

Meuseum of Neon Art

Wander Bev Hills and Rodeo Drive

Museum of TV and Radio (in Bev Hills)

LA Farmer's Market, then a few blocks to Melrose Blvd (Boutiques and vintage shops)

Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park

UCLA and Westwood Village

perf arts.....try Pantages, Ahmanson, Mark Taper, the new Disney Hall, the

Geffen Playhouse, Hollywood Bowl, Greek Theater, Opera season starts

next week, Kodak theater, Pasadena Playhouse, etc

La Brea Tar Pits and Museum

Peterson Auto Museum (if you like cars, it's great. bores me to tears!)

Studio Tours (NBC, Universal, Warner, etc.)

Celebrity Helicopters offers flights around the area

Red Line Tours sets up walking tours.

Beverly Hills Trolley Company

Thanks so much Kevinsac for the great suggestions-you have covered a wide range of interests and we will commence our research on some of your recommendations.Any good restaurants you would suggest?Italian,Steak, Bistro-we like them all-Thanks.

"The hotels in L.A. usually have vans to take you to some of the popular spots and they can arrange for a tour bus pick up"

I was just going to suggest checking your hotel (triple-A or your TA could probably check for you) about local shuttle service.

You'll be close to Restaurant Row on La Cienega blvd. If you're going to dinner, I wouldn't suggest walking there after dark. Taxis can be expensive and scarce.

Haven't been to Farmers Market since they finished building the Grove around it. There should be lots of good eats there. Also hoity toity shops. That's Third and Fairfax. CBS TV City is right to the north and maybe you can score some show tix (the really popular shows you probably need to get ahead and possession of tickets don't guarantee actually getting in if you're at the end of the line).

Up further on Fairfax is Cantors, probably one of the most famous delis in the world.

If you're into sculpture gardens, you're not far from UCLA's Japanese Gardens over near Veteran Avenue.

There's a variety of "star" tours -- the ghoulish dead people's one (see where John Belushi bought it, etc.) and stars homes. Never been on one of those but it sounds different. About ten years ago, you can see lots of tour buses going up to where OJ lived. I never went up to that street but I used to drive past where the actual crime scene was on my way to the freeway.

If you want to see a star, it's more being where they shop and eat and by luck. The place I used to work during the 90s had lots of actors come in each week because we had a show biz-oriented business.

All the above suggestions are good ones but you're somewhat limited without a car. Your hotel will be able to recommend and arrange day tours for you. The Grove is a wonderful place to see in the afternoon or early evening. Check it out on their website: thegrovela.com. Both Maggiano's Restaurant (Italian) and The Ranch House Restaurant (BBQ) are in the Grove. A taxi from B.H. would maybe be $15 each way. Walking around the Beverly Hills area is interesting and very safe day and night, is also an option unless you're staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel which is about 5 or 6 long blocks to the B.H. shopping and restaurant area, still do-able but not as close as the Beverly Wilshire Hotel or the Beverly Hilton Hotel. There are many restaurants in B.H. and your hotel will give you several recommendations... The Cheesecake Factory is casual, Grill in the Alley for fish is more upscale, Spago Beverly Hills for pizza and pasta, etc, is also more upscale.

Sandy

The first suggestion of a visit to the Getty Center is a must! Even if you aren't interested in art, the gardens are wonderful and the views of the city and the ocean are not to be missed! It's free too! ;) From BH the taxi shouldn't be too much, and there might be a shuttle from your hotel. We also thoroughly enjoy The Grove. If you are interested in TV tickets, you can mail a self addressed stamped envelope to Jay Leno with the dates you'll be in town. They film at 5:00 PM in Burbank with a 3:00 PM line-up time. It would be an expensive taxi ride but the show is always fun. :D Another newish sight is the Los Angeles Cathedral. Very impressive even if you aren't Catholic! :eek: Enjoy your cruise!!http://nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/guests/

http://www.getty.edu/museum/

http://www.olacathedral.org/

http://www.thegrovela.com/

Food: for local color try Phillipe's

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/16639/los_angeles_ca/philippe_the_original.html

Go to Lawry's. It's a Los Angeles institution.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/theprimerib_beverlyhills_gen_info.asp

Thanks so much Kevinsac for the great suggestions-you have covered a wide range of interests and we will commence our research on some of your recommendations.Any good restaurants you would suggest?Italian,Steak, Bistro-we like them all-Thanks.

Lawry's might take up too much time if you're not there for very long. Despite its reputation, it's not the greatest prime rib in California.

If you're around Venice/Santa Monica, another alternative to the Ivy is the the Lobster. It's at the beginning of the Santa Monica pier. Make reservations for around sunset. All the tables are designed so you see out their giant windows out onto the beach. Awesome view.

I like the Farmers Market at the Grove. It's not really in the Grove as it being next to it. I like the food at the restaurants there. Pretty reasonable. Woodranch Grill in the Grove complex itself is nice, but it's a chain. Grove's a nice place to walk around and kill a couple hours. I like it a LOT better than the nearby Beverly Center.

If you're a shopper, our best mall IMO is South Coast Plaza, but it's down south in Orange County.

As for Rodeo Drive, you only need to drive by. A tour that drives on that street but doesn't stop is perfectly fine. There's really nothing to see there.

If you're going to the Farmers Market, I would suggest going during the day. Then go to the Grove.

If you want to see a TV show but don't won't to risk not getting in: try the Ellen show. The overflow, after the audience seats are filled, still get in (The Tom Hanks Riff Raff room). Often the people there get on camera too. If Jay Leno's show has some popular guests (like a teen-aged idol), you may not get in. Both shows are taped in Burbank, which will be quite a taxi fare, in the San Fernando Valley at NBC on Alameda Blvd. If you do go there, see if there's still a tour. I've done it years ago with out-of-town guests. BTW show tix are free.

I'm surprised no one has recommended Starline tours.

We didn't want to drive and someone had recommended Starline here on CC. Great tour of LA on small buses, quick on and off. The price was reasonable and the guide a native with a terrific sense of humour. We paid $57pp and got LA out of our system.

From the website:

The Grand Tour of Los Angeles

“The best 5 1/2 hour Grand Tour of L.A.”

The brightest star next to Hollywood has to be L.A. itself. Our experts will take you to all the latest, hottest and most famous spots that define L.A. We stop at The Hollywood Sign, The Hollywood Bowl, Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, the Walk of Fame, Farmers Market, The Grove, and La Brea Tar pits. See the Hard Rock Cafe and Kodak Theatre and shop at the new Hollywood & Highland. Drive the famous streets of Hollywood Blvd., Rodeo Drive, Melrose, the Sunset Strip. Stop at Olvera Street, the original street where Los Angeles was first settled. Travel through Downtown L.A., Chinatown and stop at The Music Center and the Griffith Park Observatory, all those sites that you've seen countless times on TV and in the movies.

http://www.starlinetours.com

Many other tours available. Hotel pick-up included.

Archived