Booking a suite but may downgrade later. Is that crazy?

garnet115

I am planning to book Getaway in 2016 for me and dd. We were spoiled and got a taste of the suite life on Breakaway last year thanks to a price drop. Suites for the sailing I am looking at are very expensive, but it seems like such a great opportunity with the current Freestyle Choice promo, plus additional TA OBC. So I am thinking that I may go ahead and book a suite, but if I wind up getting nervous about the cost (a lot will depend on my annual bonus which I won't receive until mid March) possibly downgrade to a mini or balcony later.

Is this a crazy plan? Is there a pitfall to this strategy? Is it better to just wait to book? Or book the lower category and hope to be able to upgrade later?

Would love to get perspective from some of the more experienced cruisers.

Thanks!

I have just done the same thing. i had an SJ suite booked for the Dawn repo, but when the opportunity came to go on another cruise, I downgraded before final payment and took another cruise.

What others I know have done in the past is to reserve both class of cabins to get a great promo. Make sure to check final payment dates and make the decision then. Cancel the one you do not want. Just need the extra funds to be able to book haven. A FCC will hold a mini suite.

New rules as of Jan 1st. FCC will not hold all suites. Just had to add to my FCC to book an SA. Deluxe owners suite on the Dawn. Have booked them in the past with just an FCC but no go this time. Had to pony up an extra $550 to bring the deposit to $800.

I am planning to book Getaway in 2016 for me and dd. We were spoiled and got a taste of the suite life on Breakaway last year thanks to a price drop. Suites for the sailing I am looking at are very expensive, but it seems like such a great opportunity with the current Freestyle Choice promo, plus additional TA OBC. So I am thinking that I may go ahead and book a suite, but if I wind up getting nervous about the cost (a lot will depend on my annual bonus which I won't receive until mid March) possibly downgrade to a mini or balcony later.

Is this a crazy plan? Is there a pitfall to this strategy? Is it better to just wait to book? Or book the lower category and hope to be able to upgrade later?

Would love to get perspective from some of the more experienced cruisers.

Thanks!

If you don't mind having the extra $500 tied up for a month or two, I'd go ahead and book both. That way you can take advantage of the current promo on whichever room you end up with.

New rules as of Jan 1st. FCC will not hold all suites. Just had to add to my FCC to book an SA. Deluxe owners suite on the Dawn. Have booked them in the past with just an FCC but no go this time. Had to pony up an extra $550 to bring the deposit to $800.

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that the FCC cannot be used to fully hold a suite from Deluxe Owners on up. Correct? However the $250 face value of it can be applied towards the deposit of those higher end suites?

My husband and I usually book suites and love the haven on the Breakaway. We just booked a cruise yesterday and are doing the opposite of what you are doing. The haven was more than double the aft balcony. So we booked an aft balcony and will watch the prices to see if they come down enough to move up to a suite.

That is very strange. I also booked a Deluxe Owner's Suite (SA) on the Dawn about a week ago and my FCC covered the entire deposit. Either I got lucky or you got the short end of the stick. Very interesting...:confused:

My husband and I usually book suites and love the haven on the Breakaway. We just booked a cruise yesterday and are doing the opposite of what you are doing. The haven was more than double the aft balcony. So we booked an aft balcony and will watch the prices to see if they come down enough to move up to a suite.

That probably would have been my strategy, but the freestyle choice promotion in the suite is part of what makes it so attractive to me. That and traveling during a prime vacation week (school break) so the option of escaping the crowds in the Haven is very appealing. Love the ship and all there is to do, but the crowds can be draining on me.