Pricing

rjrpar

We have been on one river cruise, the Danube on Avalon, and enjoyed it greatly. We are now looking to book Paris to Normandy. After talking to cruisers on other lines, we realize that the major cruise lines all provide a very similar product. My question is this - are prices on Avalon, AMA, Viking, etc. all close or are some getting a premium? We are familiar with ocean cruising where prices can widely vary.

Thanks in advance

We have been on one river cruise, the Danube on Avalon, and enjoyed it greatly. We are now looking to book Paris to Normandy. After talking to cruisers on other lines, we realize that the major cruise lines all provide a very similar product. My question is this - are prices on Avalon, AMA, Viking, etc. all close or are some getting a premium? We are familiar with ocean cruising where prices can widely vary.

Thanks in advance

We just booked our second Avalon river cruise (have also cruised with Uniworld) and found Avalon's price much lower than Uniworld at this point in time. Avalon is currently offering a 10% discount for early booking and if you apply for the Journey Member classification (past passenger which can be done on their website), you will also receive an additional 5% discount. So do some comparison shopping. Uniworld is all inclusive (meaning gratuities and all alcohol - not just dinner), but other than that, not much difference in quality of service, etc. Both are great.

Cole

As mentioned, Uniworld has gone all inclusive and I think Tauck is all inclusive as well. Based on this, these lines may be more than Avalon. Cole has already mentioned Avalon's specials going on right now. You will have to compare similar dates and similar cabin categories across different lines to truly be able to compare apples to apples.

Could someone message me with the name of your TA that discounts river cruises. I have checked all my usual sites for booking ocean cruises and none of them are less than the published price and none of them seem to be throwing in any of the extras that we are used to like OBC. Apparently I am looking in the wrong places.

We are not allowed to recommend TAs on these forums. But, if you use the "request a quote" function any cruise line's site, or go to an online river cruise aggregator and do the same thing, you'll get emails and/or calls from a variety of travel agents offering you a quote. Some will include their discount or an OBC. My TA always is able to offer a couple hundred dollars off a Uniworld price (or equivalent OBC).

Thanks in advance

The key to your post, IMHO, is you took one river cruise and enjoyed it greatly. If you're satisfied with the product Avalon provided, then book Paris to Normandy with them as long as the itinerary is what you want. You already know what they offer in terms of cabins, food, tours and service, why go elsewhere. That's why we've cruised with the same company 6 times already and have 2 more booked for this spring and summer. I know Vantage's policy with respect to repeat customers, but I would imagine they all have perks for customer loyalty.