Price Drop?

hgc24

Celebrity is having a President's Day Sale and the new price at our stateroom level dropped from $1478 to $1116..... I called Celebrity and since we already made our last payment they said they couldn't do anything for us. This is sad. Even a shipboard credit would have been something! I guess it pays to wait until later rather than sooner to book !

:(

Celebrity is having a President's Day Sale and thee new price at our stateroom level dropped from $1478 to $1116..... I called Celebrity and since we already made our last payment they said they couldn't do anything for us. This is sad. Even a shipboard credit would have been something! I guess it pays to wait until later rather than sooner to book !

You posted on another thread that the discount was for 55+. That wouldn't have been combinable with any of the other promos anyway (123go, etc).

If this was strictly a President's day sale, and the prices for a better cabin category are about what you paid, you might want to see if perhaps they will upgrade you at no additional cost.

If everyone who booked early was able to get credit (or OBC) when a price came down after final payment, the cruiselines would go out of business. They only reduce the prices closer to the sailing date in order to fill cabins.

You booked at a price you felt you could afford at the time, and you got the cabin you wanted.

If you bought a dress in the store, and 2 months later the dress was reduced because it was the end of season clearance, you wouldn't expect the store to refund the difference in price.

We got a substantial upgrade to a cabin that was priced marginally lower than we had paid for an inside. This was part of the President's Day Sale and also a seniors' rate. We could have paid more and had the regular sale rate with one 123 GO benefit, but chose not to. This was after final payment.

Edited by smtcan

I am currently booked with the 123 Go All Inclusive, and would want to keep that. Would pay $800 more to upgrade from a CC to a Sky Suite - 3 persons. I will call Celebrity tomorrow.

I am surprised that you could upgrade for a lower price than what you originally paid. The old rules were that you could upgrade if the upgrade was at least $1 more. At least I think that is correct.

I am currently booked with the 123 Go All Inclusive, and would want to keep that. Would pay $800 more to upgrade from a CC to a Sky Suite - 3 persons. I will call Celebrity tomorrow.

I am surprised that you could upgrade for a lower price than what you originally paid. The old rules were that you could upgrade if the upgrade was at least $1 more. At least I think that is correct.

I must admit I was surprised too. Of course we did not get a refund, but after several phone calls we got it our upgrade.

Celebrity is having a President's Day Sale and the new price at our stateroom level dropped from $1478 to $1116..... I called Celebrity and since we already made our last payment they said they couldn't do anything for us. This is sad. Even a shipboard credit would have been something! I guess it pays to wait until later rather than sooner to book !

But most times not. Late bookings are not always cheaper - next time let us know how much they went up. Why would you expect anything after final payment?

But most times not. Late bookings are not always cheaper - next time let us know how much they went up. Why would you expect anything after final payment?

They're not always cheaper and they're not always available. If a cruise is on my bucket list (few are, anymore), then I book in advance. If it's just a "ho-hum, don't have anything better to do" type cruise, then waiting until after final payment makes good sense, and that's what I do.

My ta said no conversion to a military rate for an upgrade after final payment. :confused:

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Were you asking for a free upgrade or were you asking to pay for an upgrade using a new Military Rate?

I must admit I was surprised too. Of course we did not get a refund, but after several phone calls we got it our upgrade.

Glad it worked for you. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

They're not always cheaper and they're not always available. If a cruise is on my bucket list (few are, anymore), then I book in advance. If it's just a "ho-hum, don't have anything better to do" type cruise, then waiting until after final payment makes good sense, and that's what I do.

In my case, I would probably lose any savings to late® airline booking costs.

We had 6 cabins booked and some received refunds and upgrades and some of the perks. We were in inside and ocean views, inside was upgraded to ocean view and tips and drink package with a refund applied to their credit card. The previous ocean views paid $116 to move to a balcony with the tips and drink package and some onboard credit. All done after final payments were made by my travel agent. We are very happy.

We booked regular veranda on Reflection last year and when the price dropped after final payment, the difference between our current cabin and Aqua was about $35, so we upgraded and were very happy with the switch. No problem at all with paying to upgrade, and plan/hope to do the same thing this year on our sailing on Infinity in October. Currently in Concierge and hoping Aqua drops to within range of our current reservation price. (Unfortunately, so far, it's gone up.) :rolleyes:

Some days your are lucky and some days you are lucky to go on this cruise anyway.

I waited for a special Caribbean Cruise on Constellation this November, hoping for a better price. The result: it´s sold out now.

That´s the deal and X is out there to make some money.

It does NOT always pay to wait. I booked Alaska in March 2014 for August 2015 and the price is now DOUBLE what I booked for (and I have drink package - upgraded to premium by TA - and pre-paid gratuities)!

I also had much more choice for cabin selection a year ago.