Considering a Windstar Cruise...will we "fit in"??

herb

The other day I received a Windstar Cruises brochure in the mail. As I started looking through the brochure I realized that this may be the type of cruise experience my wife and I are looking for.

Our past cruises have been on the mainstream cruiselines, and although we've enjoyed them we're starting to lose some of that "pre-cruise" excitement. No matter which cruiseship we sail on, everything is pretty predictable. That's why the whole idea of sailing a Windstar Cruise seems so appealing to us.

I think we'd enjoy being on a ship with only 300 guests, not 3000 ( We're looking into the Wind Surf Barbados R/T cruise - Jan 2007). We've had more than our fair share of art auctions, ice carving demos, kids running around the ship, and Las Vegas revues! We don't gamble much and definitely feel that the Windstar experience would be relaxing.

I have searched the internet and looked into reviews and comments regarding Windstar cruises, and hopefully I'm mistaken, but it seems that those passengers who sail Windstar cruises seem to be upscale professionals such as doctors, lawyers, CEO's etc. We both work very hard for our money, and look forward to our vacations but we're a bit worried that we might not fit in, socio-economically, with others on board..

Your thoughts??

Laughoutloud said it very well. We have been on the Wind Surf twice & there is a lot of diversity among the 300 passengers. We're all there for the same reasons you want to try it; no lines, no "formal" nights, no seatings, no shows, etc. Just a nice group of people who want to enjoy their vacations. Hope you'll try it.

I sailed on Windstar (one of the 2 smaller ships, Windspirit) in March, after having sailed on Costa, Princess, Oriental, Carnival, RCL and several other cruise lines. It's a no nonsense, no dress up, no artsy fartsy experience, and I noticed no great snob factor. These are beautiful sailing ships and the experience shouldn't be missed; the officers and crew are outstanding and the cabins are very nice. Highly recommended.

Herb, PERFECTLY!

GO! Relax! Have some fun!

With such a small pax list, people are very friendly. And besides, in shorts sneakers and a t-shirt, who can tell whose got what? Nobody cares.

A sailboat out on the briney strips that stuff all away.

Being "Cooter Bobs" from East Tennessee, we had similar concerns before we took our first Windstar cruise. We are very informal and have very simple tastes. To us a fancy meal is a steak grilled out at home with a cold Mountain Dew (the Pepsi product, not the stuff sometimes produced and distributed locally... or at least so I'm told). When we were looking for something special as a way to celebrate our 20th anniversary, we came across an itinerary for a Windstar cruise: the Spirit's St. Thomas route. We love that area of the world, and thought this sounded like a perfect itinerary for us: a different, beautiful island with gorgeous beaches every day, with longer stays so you could really get out and explore and enjoy. But we were a little worried we wouldn't fit in.

We've taken two Windstar cruises now, and would go every year if we could. We've met so many wonderful people, and with one possible exception (a nice enough gentleman who REALLY enjoyed discussing politics), found every one of them to be definitely unstuffy. (Hey! You're going to find one or two no matter where you go or what you do...) One of the best things we found about a Windstar cruise was that we could mix, mingle and talk with others when we wanted, or find a quiet spot to get away by ourselves if we preferred. That's probably not possible on the bigger boats today. (Our favorite spot was a lounge chair pulled beneath the sail at the bow of the ship after dinner. Quiet, dark, and the sky at sea at night is amazing!)

I would hazard a guess that my income, and certainly the extent of my worldly experiences, ranked near the bottom of the scale among the other passengers onboard our cruises, but as far as I could tell, no one noticed or cared. We were treated just like everyone else by the other passengers, as well as by the staff. The overwhelming majority were there for the same reason as we were: to relax, have a good time, and experience some of God's most awesome creations. So don't sweat it! Book the cruise if you can and be very excited in your decision. When the day comes to board, have a good attitude and expect a great time, great food, great ports of call, with great people. I believe you'll find it to be all that and more!

Hey HAL! So where's my commission?? Just kiddin'...

• 1 month later...

I, as well, already booked a cruise on the windsurf for December 4 and am worried about the same issue. It's not about the class part, but about the age.

My girlfriend (although that status will most likely change on the cruise :D) and I are in our mid twenties. This is our first cruise vacation. We choose Windstar over the other liners because we wanted a more private, less crowded, and relaxed cruise... and in these aspects I know we'll fit well. We're not the partying type. However, I noticed the average age of the passengers where mostly 40+. I'm not too worried, had I been, I never would have booked, but still its something I want to take into consideration.

This is our first cruise vacation... However, I noticed the average age of the passengers where mostly 40+. I'm not too worried, had I been, I never would have booked, but still its something I want to take into consideration.

First cruise!

First post on CC!

Welcome to both.

Indeed the average age is maybe 40+ (I don't really know), but one always sees the 20-somethings on Windstar. Also the 60-somethings. The nice thing about it is that everybody is there for exactly the same thing, and you described it perfectly:

...a more private, less crowded, and relaxed cruise...

I'm sure by the time you get back home both of you will be looking back and recalling all the nice people you just met and looking forward to your next trip. It happens that way.

Nice going!

Good choice!

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from a Windstar voyage and the people on the ship were a cross section of just about everything including a city bus driver who loves the Windstar experience and works all year to sail on these lovely ships. Relax and enjoy yourselves...Oh and bring a book or two.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be sailing on Wind Spirit. Being HAL loyalist, we feel that this type of cruising/sailing is the next step to go.

My husband is self-employed so our biggest hurdle wasn't saving for the trip, just arranging for someone to handle the work for hubbie.

50 days and counting... :D

• 2 months later...
We will be sailing on Wind Spirit. Being HAL loyalist, we feel that this type of cruising/sailing is the next step to go.

My husband is self-employed so our biggest hurdle wasn't saving for the trip, just arranging for someone to handle the work for hubbie.

50 days and counting... :D

:) I just found your post while looking for more information on the Wind Spirit. We too are loyal to HAL and have had several wonderful voyages aboard their beautiful ships, the latest being on the Oosterdam last October. Again we were also looking for something different and after hearing so many positive things about the WindStar Line we have booked a Sept. 06 Med./Greek cruise on the Wind Spirit. Would love to hear more about your cruise on the Wind Spirit. Or anyone's cruising experience aboard any of the Wind Star Ships. Oh, one last thing, we are wine and food people let us know what to expect in that area, I must say the one area that the main stream cruise lines seem to have trouble with is the quality of food they serve. More like banquet meals, but of course with the number of passengers it's understandable why that is the case on most of the ships.

:) Oh' date=' one last thing, we are wine and food people let us know what to expect in that area, I must say the one area that the main stream cruise lines seem to have trouble with is the quality of food they serve. More like banquet meals, but of course with the number of passengers it's understandable why that is the case on most of the ships. [/color']

The wine list is not fantastic. What we have done is buy local wine on shore and then have it served to us at dinner. There is no problem in bringing wine on board.

As for the food, it is not the typical banquet meal or the typical meal that is served on the mass market ships. The on-deck BBQ that you will have one night is not to be missed.

The experience will be completely different than HAL. Be prepared that there is very little entertainment at night. But, you can go up to the bridge and talk to the Captain at night and he will explain all the instruments / radars.

Have a great trip.

The biggest difference I noticed between Wind Star and bigger ships as far as food goes was in the number of choices - instead of 5 or 6 entrees, there may be only 2 or 3. But I always felt that what was served was very good - I don't remember having anything that I was disappointed in. I don't know if Wind Spirit (being larger) is different as far as number of choices.

We were on the Barcelona to Lisbon trip, and made it a point of buying wine while in port. First, we got to try some very good local wines, and second they were priced much better than the ship's wine list (we we really weren't impressed with it either).

My fear is that Windstar will read all of these posts about their wine list, and start cracking down on bottles brought on ship. My hope is that they'll listen and spiff up their service.

I was on the Wind Surf's new year's cruise this year (and last too) and we had entertainment every evening, a band in the main lounge and a couple in the Compass Rose. Now granted it is the same 2 groups for the entire cruise and I only saw the one in the main lounge once because we loved sitting outside at the Compass Rose but the couple there was good and they made it fun... some nights requests, some nights oldies, one night they had a name that tune game and my 14 year old daughter was one of the winners, she beat out all us oldsters with her knowledge of music from the 50's and 60's (shows what I listen too!). She actually got the Beatles song "hard days night" on that first chord!

This certainly isn't a cruise that would appeal to the average 20 something crowd but I love it. No crowds, not ever.

Susan

Susan,

We are on the Windsurf this August, and our two daughters (late 20's) are joining us. Realize that this is not a Carnival cruise when it comes to night life, but do you think their might be some people in their age group?

Glenn

The biggest difference I noticed between Wind Star and bigger ships as far as food goes was in the number of choices - instead of 5 or 6 entrees, there may be only 2 or 3. But I always felt that what was served was very good - I don't remember having anything that I was disappointed in. I don't know if Wind Spirit (being larger) is different as far as number of choices.

Actually it is the Surf that is the larger ship. Spirit, Star and Song (RIP) are all the same size.

Archived