Just announced! Jones act temp.Haulted

brn2crz

The Jones Act keeps foriegn ships from carrying goods and passengers from one US port to another. This is the reason you can't take a back to back cruise from, say, Boston to Miami and back to Boston unless the ship is US registered.

the Jones Act is most likely the reason the NCL America is the first US registered ship in 50 years or so. It sails an exclusive Hawaii interary. Although I believe the Dawn does as well, so I am not too sure about that...

Simply put..(believe, me its a very complex policey:rolleyes: )

It prohibits foreign flagged vessels from transporting between US cities only.It is the reason your cruise must visit a foregin port,and why you can not join your cruise at another US port.It is why ships can't just pull into any ole port any time a storm comes up...(such as what happened with the Voyager and their trip to Canada).

It was done so that they can use foreign ships to take oil from say the LA Texas Coast,over to the East Coast,because of the disruption of the main pipeline to this area,from La...

The Jones Act is a bone of contention for many cruisers...

Don't know if any cruise ships will need to take advantage of this..But it might also be helpful with the displacement of so many ships at this time..

the Jones Act is most likely the reason the NCL America is the first US registered ship in 50 years or so. It sails an exclusive Hawaii interary. Although I believe the Dawn does as well, so I am not too sure about that...

Hey Born,

Dawn registered in Nassau, Bahamas and does make port there to satisfy requirements of Jones Act.

I was thinking the Norweigen Dawn sailed an exclusive Hawaii itenerary as well as the Pride of America. I was wrong on that (I have been wrong only twice in my life, once when I was 6 and every since then :D), and I was wondering how they got around the Jones Act. The Aloha and Hawaii are also US registered. That is how they do that.

Ok, I'm better now. Thanks.

The restrictions on cruiseships that cause so many unusual itineraries fall under the Passenger Services Act, not the Jones Act. It sounds like that won't change.

Jones Acts - The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 and Coastal Shipping Today

By: Barbara Spangler

Consumers are paying to protect U.S. waterborne vessels from international competition in the domestic maritime market. The Jones Act, named for 1920s Senator Wesley L. Jones, refers to several U.S. laws governing domestic transportation of merchandise and passengers by water.

The Jones Act states that no merchandise transported by water between U.S. ports is to be carried "in any other vessel than a vessel built and documented under the laws of the United States and owned by persons who are citizens of the United States." The Jones Act also prevents foreign cruise ships from transporting passengers between U.S. ports and restricts access to U.S. rivers and canals. The Jones Act places severe restrictions on U.S. businesses and agriculture by requiring that merchandise being transported entirely or in part by water between U.S. points--either directly or via foreign points--must travel in U.S.-built, U.S.-manned, and U.S.-citizen owned vessels. No other U.S. industries or their customers are bound by such restrictions.

No link,statement made from the Whitehouse this afternoon..(saw it on TV)

I have looked online for some reference to the statement,but have been unsuccessful.

Apparently not the first time,Papa B did the same during the Gulf War.

And its very odd that I can't find anything about it...

I looked at transcripts from the past 3 days...The one from Yesterday is there,the one from his discussion with Dianne is there..The one with Bush Sr and Clinton are there..I know I did not dream it...It was broadcast on CBS and was live when I posted this thread. :confused:

Consumers are paying to protect U.S. waterborne vessels from international competition in the domestic maritime market. The Jones Act, named for 1920s Senator Wesley L. Jones, refers to several U.S. laws governing domestic transportation of merchandise and passengers by water.

The Jones Act states that no merchandise transported by water between U.S. ports is to be carried "in any other vessel than a vessel built and documented under the laws of the United States and owned by persons who are citizens of the United States." The Jones Act also prevents foreign cruise ships from transporting passengers between U.S. ports and restricts access to U.S. rivers and canals. The Jones Act places severe restrictions on U.S. businesses and agriculture by requiring that merchandise being transported entirely or in part by water between U.S. points--either directly or via foreign points--must travel in U.S.-built, U.S.-manned, and U.S.-citizen owned vessels. No other U.S. industries or their customers are bound by such restrictions.

This just shows how confusion this is. Ms. Spangler (an Agricurture industry lobbyist out of her expertise) just flat has it wrong. For the real info see the link posted by Merion Mom. This is an excerpt dealing with just this misunderstanding:

"Jones Misnomer

The US law that can make life difficult for a cruiser dates from 113 years ago, and is called the "Passenger Services Act," but Senator Wesley L. Jones, who sponsored a 1920 Merchant Marine Act amendment relating to the shipping of MERCHANDISE, not passengers, has unfairly been tagged as the author of the restrictions on what a foreign cruise ship may do or not do in US waters. The basic rule is that "foreign" ships may not carry passengers (whether Americans or others) between US ports, subject to certain exceptions."

If it related to passengers it's the PSA which pre-dates the Jones Act by about 30 years. Suspending the Jones Act can have no effect on the cruise industry.

Yes...you're right about the Hawaiian itinerery - some do stop Kirabati (sp?)

It's actually an awesome trip over there...you are way way out in the Pacific Ocean. The people living there have no telephones, electricity etc. What a experience. The new NCL ships are American and so they don't make the trip. More port time in Hawaii but they are missing out on the experience of a lifetime.

The Jones Act keeps foriegn ships from carrying goods and passengers from one US port to another. This is the reason you can't take a back to back cruise from, say, Boston to Miami and back to Boston unless the ship is US registered.

Sorry to quibble, but I think you mean first newly built ship to be US flagged and allowed to do a Hawaii only itinerary. Up until 2001, the Independence did 7 day Hawaii. For about a year in 2000-2001, the parent company that owned Independence (American Classic Voyages, if I recall correctly) added the refurbished, reflagged (to US) US Patriot. (This one I know for a fact because we cruised on her.:D)

Currently, the NCL Wind is doing the 10/11 day run that goes to Fanning. The NCL Pride of Aloha is not a new build, but was an existing NCL ship (don't remember which one) that was refitted and reflagged as US at least a year ago.

Anyway, the Pride of Aloha and Pride of America (soon to be joined by the Pride of Hawaii) are the only US flagged cruise ships allowed to cruise exclusively around Hawaii. The thing is that NCL had to be given a waiver of the Jone's Act to do this because up until then both the ships and the parent companies had to be registered and based in the US. NCL is not a US company, but was given the waiver for these specific ships, which must be staffed with 100% US crew and meet US labor/health/safety standards.

(BTW, Dawn doesn't do Hawaii now and was never US flagged, thus never doing an exclusively Hawaii cruise.)

beachchick

is Bush releasing the Oil kept stored for a major emergency, which this is. The problem is it is housed in the Gulf which is flooded & they can't get to it to send it to a refiner to turn into gas. 8 of them are destroyed. AND It is crude!

Actually, the strategic oil reserve is kept to be used for wartimes, to be certain there is sufficient fuel to power ships, planes, tanks, etc. Even if oil were to be released from the reserve, there is no capacity in the exisiting refineries. All of the refineries were operating at 100% prior to the Gulf Coast refineries coming off line this week due to the storm.

The more important oil related news was the relaxing of the EPA standards which required regional gas blends which were not interchangeable. For example, there could be a surplus of gas in the Chicago area and a shortage in New York, but the blends were not interchangeable. By (at least temporarily) relaxing those restrictions, surplus gas from one region can be shifted to another region where it could be used.

Not true. The US Airlines have the same restriction. Foreign flagged airlines cannot transport people between US Cities either. In fact some of the restrictions are such that even US airlines can't fly in and out of Texas(thank you american airlines). The purpose was and is is to have a US Flagged Merchant marine available for times of Emergency as well as protect US jobs. There are currently two US Flagged major cruise ships sailing, Both NCL America ,Pride of Aloha and Pride of America. A third one built on a US hull is under construction and NCL owns two other US built hulls that may be brought back. The Pride of Aloha is not a US built vessel but was made reflagable by a special law that only applies to it.

Good for you! It's the PSA.

I've gotten so tired of explaining the difference (and similarity) between the Jones Act and the PSA, that I've given up. I think it's going to be "Jones Act" forever, regardless of the inaccuracy.

Not true. The US Airlines have the same restriction. Foreign flagged airlines cannot transport people between US Cities either. In fact some of the restrictions are such that even US airlines can't fly in and out of Texas(thank you american airlines). The purpose was and is is to have a US Flagged Merchant marine available for times of Emergency as well as protect US jobs. There are currently two US Flagged major cruise ships sailing, Both NCL America ,Pride of Aloha and Pride of America. A third one built on a US hull is under construction and NCL owns two other US built hulls that may be brought back. The Pride of Aloha is not a US built vessel but was made reflagable by a special law that only applies to it.

Ummm.I realize what an informed and intelligent person you are..(seriously,not sarcasim) .....But that is exactly what I havebeen saying..What are you saying is not true??

Ok,unless you mean the part about "no other industry does this " gottcha there..I should have only posted the part I was using in reference to cruise ships.. sorry.

Archived