New cruiser, lots of questions! Breakaway...

njhorn

Hi all!

My wife and I are hoping to book today for the Breakaway from NY to Bermuda April 26th... We are trying to decide between M6 (mini-suite large balcony) and M9 (spa mini suite)... The differences I can see are a much bigger balcony on deck 8, vs use of the spa stuff and being on deck 14... If we are going to do a massage or two anyway (where we would get use of the spa amenities), is it worth it to spend extra money on the spa mini-suite? Seems like that $300 or so total could pay for all of our upgraded meals on the trip and part of an excursion (we are doing ultimate beverage)...

Any tips for first time cruisers? Is there a travel agent you like that does discounts? What site do you recommend booking from? Are we treated better booking directly from NCL vs orbitz/expedia/etc?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic!

First of all, we are not allowed to discuss about travel agents (TAs) or their offers here, so any posts regarding that matter will be swiftly removed by the moderators.

What I can tell you though, there is no difference in your experience in the port or onboard regardless where you book. If you book through a TA, then you must handle all matters related to the reservation through them (NCL won't speak with you about most matters as the TA "owns" your booking) so make sure the TA you choose is a responsive one.

About the cabin selection, I was under the impression that just booking a massage doesn't give you access to the spa itself but then again I've not used spa once so what do I know. :D

Don't get the mini suite no reason no perks go for a real suite In haven it will be the vaction of a lifetime I promise. NCL suite perks are the best in the busniess for sure!

To me the perk is the larger balcony of M6, and the larger bathroom... The Haven suits are like another $1000 each, which we unfortunately can't afford :(

To me the perk is the larger balcony of M6, and the larger bathroom... The Haven suits are like another $1000 each, which we unfortunately can't afford :(

The larger bathroom is totally worth it. I cant remember exactly but I think the Spa minis on the BA are under the pool deck. It was this reason we avoided them because we have had issues with deck noise early in the monring on past cruises on other lines and try to avoid those rooms. I would go with the larger balcony over the spa, but we never use the spa so I am bias. Main decision is if you want to relax on your own balcony, or in a thermal spa. Choose which sounds nicer to you. You will have a great trip either way. Enjoy!

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

If you choose a regular mini suite, please make sure it is not above Fat Cats, the bar is very noisy and you can hear the music and the people (having fun) until 2PM ish.. Oh, we were above it on deck 11 and it was still very loud.

If you choose a regular mini suite, please make sure it is not above Fat Cats, the bar is very noisy and you can hear the music and the people (having fun) until 2PM ish.. Oh, we were above it on deck 11 and it was still very loud.

The M6 rooms are all well forward of the bars and restaurants.

Don't get the mini suite no reason no perks go for a real suite In haven it will be the vaction of a lifetime I promise. NCL suite perks are the best in the busniess for sure!

I actually wouldn't recommend this for a new cruiser. The Haven is very nice, but they have plenty of ship to explore, and given the choices they are looking at, either the Spa or the large balcony if they want to go to a quieter area for a while.

My suggestion would always be to start at a lower level, see how much you like cruising and then consider trying new things out on later trips. In my one experience of the haven, we didn't get to know the ship as well as we would have liked, and we actually enjoyed our cruise in a mini suite on the Jade more than we did the Owners Suite on the Pearl.

We had a M6 mini suite and loved it.

you should also consider the B9 (Spa Balcony) cabins. On BA and GA, the differences between the Mini-suites and Balcony cabins is almost negligable.

This is true, and also brings the B9, large balconies into the reckoning, although those balconies are quite a bit smaller than the M6.

However, in my experience there is often not a great price difference between the minis and balconies so it may not be much of a saving.

This is true, and also brings the B9, large balconies into the reckoning, although those balconies are quite a bit smaller than the M6.

However, in my experience there is often not a great price difference between the minis and balconies so it may not be much of a saving.

Std balcony is 4 x 9

B6 balcony is 8 x 9

M6 is 12 x 9.

We've been in a M6...and weren't overly impressed with the Spa bathroom. Next time we'll choose the B6. Those are still some pretty big balconies.

also, any suggestions for insurance? Seems like a ton of choices out there and I don't necessarily need to go with the one my TA uses, especially since we are not doing our flights through him I want to make sure we are covered for flight delays... If I go through a third party I can have flights and cruise covered

8716 is what we have saved for us until we pay tonight, seems to be far away from fat cats and over the theatre...

If you can get one on the port side then you can see the fireworks from your balcony if you want.

All these rooms are a long way from Fat Cats. No problem there.

Edited by KeithJenner

how do gratuities work on a cruise?

A service charge is added to your account each day. It is going up at the end of the month from $12 to $12.95 a day, but you can fix in on the old rate if you book before then and prepay them.

If you want to do that then speak to your TA and see if they can be added to your final payment rather than paying now. That is how it's done if you book direct, but it may be different with a TA.

also, any suggestions for insurance? Seems like a ton of choices out there and I don't necessarily need to go with the one my TA uses, especially since we are not doing our flights through him I want to make sure we are covered for flight delays... If I go through a third party I can have flights and cruise covered

google insure my trip

Hi njhorn!

Another tip I would suggest would be to join the board for the April 26th Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021646

It includes all the other Cruise Critic members who will also be on your sailing (including me!) and sign-ups for various activities (see Post #11 for the link to the sign-up sheets)