Picture Review of SUNSHINE and Western Caribbean Ports of Call

mpcaruth

Found some offerings in the NCL app that have combinations of different offerings, thank you!

Enjoyed your review as well, we sail in August on the Sunshine but it's the Southern route!

Which August sailing are you on? We sail August 8th.

I was just looking at the type of cabin you booked for this cruise. I have never considered the obstructed oceanview before... I have always been concerned we would feel too much movement being that far forward.

Can you comment on if you felt motion here (how much) and if anyone if you group is sensitive to it? thanks!

We felt very little motion on the Sunshine, as the seas were relatively calm. My daughter and I wear our sea bands all the time except in port (even to sleep). If the seas do rock the ship, we also use the behind the ear eucalyptus drops. We are both prone to motion sickness, but have never been sea sick with the bands and drops. My husband is the only one to have actually gotten sea sick, and that was in a 4J Lido deck cabin on the Dream. The seas were rough that cruise and the motion was definitely much greater on the Lido (deck 10 forward) compared to the theater (deck 3 forward). We were in a PT (port hole) cabin on deck 2 once on the Freedom and there was some motion and the sound of waves hitting the ship, but no one got sea sick.

The lower forward cabins will have less motion than the higher forward cabins.

I usually end my reviews indicating our next cruise plans. I thought I had it all figured out, and that we would be sailing on the Breeze next January. But then an unbelievable promo came up...

Norwegian ran a promo of "Kids Sail Free" combined with the free Ultimate Beverage Package. So, I immediately booked Norwegians newest ship, the Getaway, for a 7-day cruise to Ochos Rios, Great Stirrup Cay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We will be in our first ever balcony cabin in a guarantee (GTY) cabin for the 4 of us. The balcony GTY cabin was actually cheaper than the Large Ocean View. My husband and I get unlimited drinks and the kids get the soda package. AND, we get $125 OBC. And the total cost including taxes and fees is... drum roll... $2052!!! Unbelievable.

Wow awesome deal - we haven't tried NCL yet, I have read some reviews and they seem great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A really nice review, thanks for sharing.

.....it was a newly added cabin and therefore had a mini fridge...

Do you know if all the new rooms have mini fridges or just the new rooms added to deck 3? More specifically, deck 5 rooms.

A really nice review, thanks for sharing.

Do you know if all the new rooms have mini fridges or just the new rooms added to deck 3? More specifically, deck 5 rooms.

Thanks! I cannot confirm that the new deck 5 rooms have mini fridges, but I read it somewhere here on CC prior to cruise that all new cabins have night stands and fridges. (Deck 5 aft cabins and deck 3 forward cabins).

• 4 weeks later...

What a great review,

We have been to Cozumel.Roatan and Belize before but not Costa Maya.

I've been scowering the boards and trip adviser for new things to do on our 5/9 Sunshine cruise.

I would like to thank you for some great ideas, it appears we may very well follow in your footsteps.

Have fun on your next cruise and thanks again for a truly fantastic thorough review.

What a great review,

We have been to Cozumel.Roatan and Belize before but not Costa Maya.

I've been scowering the boards and trip adviser for new things to do on our 5/9 Sunshine cruise.

I would like to thank you for some great ideas, it appears we may very well follow in your footsteps.

Have fun on your next cruise and thanks again for a truly fantastic thorough review.

Thanks and you're welcome!

Enjoy your fun port days.

How is the layout of the ship, do you still have to climb or go down stairs to get to different areas because of the galley? This would be my 4th if I book it, DW 3rd, and if my parents go there first, how will they like Carnival/Sunshine. There in their mid 60s?

I usually end my reviews indicating our next cruise plans. I thought I had it all figured out, and that we would be sailing on the Breeze next January. But then an unbelievable promo came up...

Norwegian ran a promo of "Kids Sail Free" combined with the free Ultimate Beverage Package. So, I immediately booked Norwegians newest ship, the Getaway, for a 7-day cruise to Ochos Rios, Great Stirrup Cay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We will be in our first ever balcony cabin in a guarantee (GTY) cabin for the 4 of us. The balcony GTY cabin was actually cheaper than the Large Ocean View. My husband and I get unlimited drinks and the kids get the soda package. AND, we get $125 OBC. And the total cost including taxes and fees is... drum roll... $2052!!! Unbelievable.

Congratulations on a great deal!!!

Thank you for this awesome review on the Sunshine. I have my eye on sailing her, and this review may have just pushed me over the edge to make that jump. :)

mpcaruth, Thank You for posing another one of your Always Fantastic Reviews with Outstanding Exceptional Photos. :):):):)

Thanks!!!

I saw the link in your signature to your website and checked it out. Oh my, what a massive compilation of information on just about every cruise ship!! I wish I had know about it sooner. Your site provides links to numerous sites I had used in researching for my Sunshine cruise plus other links. I will definitely be using it for my upcoming Getaway. Thanks. cruiseclues.com

How is the layout of the ship, do you still have to climb or go down stairs to get to different areas because of the galley? This would be my 4th if I book it, DW 3rd, and if my parents go there first, how will they like Carnival/Sunshine. There in their mid 60s?

You cannot walk forward to aft on Deck 3 or Deck 4 (unless you sneak through the Lime Light Lounge). Deck 5, Promenade, IS OPEN forward to aft. So yes, you will have to go up or down occasionally to traverse the entire ship. The only time this is really an issue is if you are assigned the aft dining room (Any Time Dining was on Deck 3 for us).

Below is a crude snapshot of the deckplans. I have highlighted in yellow the limitation in travel path from forward elevators to aft elevators/stairs.

Sunshine%20flow2_zpslsl6og4k.jpg

Our cabin, 3127, was a 4J, Interior with Picture Window (obstructed views), located on the Lobby Deck. I chose this cabin for a few reasons: 1) interior cabin price with a window, 2) cabin is 220 s.f. compared to the 185 s.f. interior and balcony cabins, 3) it was a newly added cabin and therefore had a mini fridge, 4) ability to place deck chairs outside of cabin window for a simulated "balcony", and 5) convenient location off the lobby. This cabin would have been perfect had we not heard occasional footsteps/rolling above. It wasn't really loud and we sleep with a fan running, so this was not a big deal for us. I would book this cabin area again.

Sunshine%20cabin_zpsndsae993.jpg

P1080553_zpsamv0r29b.jpg

P1080550_zps7lbx2ail.jpg

There is a small, unstocked, refrigerator in the lower cabinet:

P1080554_zpsvnfyeuki.jpg

P1080555_zpsxkzy6nsz.jpg

Thermostat in cabin (by the way, we never had an issue with being either hot or cold on the ship).

Loved the review and your photos!!:) We will be sailing on the Sunshine in September and have booked a cabin like yours. How often were you hearing the footsteps/rolling above, every night and did it go late into the night? Also, did you request a fan or bring your own!? TIA

I am booked in a porthole room but am seriously considering upgrading to one of these 4J room. Where did you have to go to access the outside deck? Did you have to go and walk by the Guest Services desk? It looks like there might be an exit on the Port side right by the front?

I haven't done a Carnival Cruise since our honeymoon 15 years ago, but this made me rethink things!

Thanks for the great review.

I appreciate the time and efforts you put into it.

My son turns 14 this summer, and I have a 10 year old daughter so I liked all the stuff you did as a family with older kids.

Thanks again

Chass

I haven't done a Carnival Cruise since our honeymoon 15 years ago, but this made me rethink things!

Thanks for the great review.

I appreciate the time and efforts you put into it.

My son turns 14 this summer, and I have a 10 year old daughter so I liked all the stuff you did as a family with older kids.

Thanks again

Chass

Your kids will love this ship! The Breeze is a good choice too. They may not be the Anthem of the Seas, but neither are their prices.

Edited by mpcaruth

Loved the review and your photos!!:) We will be sailing on the Sunshine in September and have booked a cabin like yours. How often were you hearing the footsteps/rolling above, every night and did it go late into the night? Also, did you request a fan or bring your own!? TIA

We never could determine the source of the rolling sound. It did happen throughout the night, maybe every 30 minutes or so??? We thought it could have been the crew rolling carts or moving the chairs in the conversion from theater lounge to night club. We bring our own small fan with us. You can also bring a white noise machine, or use a white noise app on your cell phone. I was the only one that heard it at night, while everyone else slept through it.

I am booked in a porthole room but am seriously considering upgrading to one of these 4J room. Where did you have to go to access the outside deck? Did you have to go and walk by the Guest Services desk? It looks like there might be an exit on the Port side right by the front?

We were on the starboard side (right) and the exit to the outside deck was just past Guest Service (see red travel path showing cabin door to where we put a deck chair for lounging outside our cabin window). I think, the port side on Deck 3 may be one of the designated smoking areas, but I am not sure. So you may want to confirm before changing your cabins.

4j-3_zpsghizbvkl.jpg

We were on the starboard side (right) and the exit to the outside deck was just past Guest Service (see red travel path showing cabin door to where we put a deck chair for lounging outside our cabin window). I think, the port side on Deck 3 may be one of the designated smoking areas, but I am not sure. So you may want to confirm before changing your cabins.

4j-3_zpsghizbvkl.jpg

Thanks! I just googled it and yes the Port side of Deck 3 is smoking so I may ask for your exact cabin:) it is still available.

Edited by anjoliza

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write and post this review. We will be sailing on The Sunshine in three months, and have a cabin booked that is very close to where your cabin was located. It was a 4J also.

Seeing the photos of your cabin was wonderful

Looking at the FunTimes, at the other things you posted..........so nice of you to do that.

I will always read anything I see your title attached from now on.

Again..............Thank you.