Received Reflection GTY assignment

Iamthesea

I booked a GTY Suite yesterday. Tonight, I received the assigned stateroom. It's an S2 as suspected, but not a HC. Glad for that as the bathroom concerned me a little.

The stateroom itself is in an excellent location, but I have 2 concerns. Hope someone can help with answers.

1. Stateroom is on Deck 12 -near aft elevators-and one deck under the Ocean View Café. How sheltered are the staterooms from noise under the OV Café? Is the floor in the OV Café carpeted. Was just on the Equinox and cannot remember. :rolleyes: If it makes difference, the stateroom is two stateroom widths inside the OV Café entrance - port side. I would guess that it is right before getting to the bar area.

2. Most concerning is the only post (from 2012) that I found on this stateroom. Please read: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36263265&postcount=1732 I would think that if this stateroom continued to have a problem, that there would be more information/complaints about it on these boards.

Because of this post, I am not sure if I should try to switch or not. :confused: What would you do?

P.S. - All the remaining S2 are under the OV Café. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

We stayed in 2123 on Equinox & Eclipse with no noise issues from the buffet above. The area is carpeted. Although you did not say I'm assuming you are in 2179 on Reflection which is a little further forward than 2123 on Equinox & Eclipse, so you should be fine.

Although you did not say I'm assuming you are in 2179 on Reflection

Thank you. Yes, Reflection was in my subject line. ;) I am just know finding out that the Reflection is different in deck layouts and stateroom numbers (on some decks) than the other Solstice class ships.

Did more sleuthing and found the following post. Makes me feel better about being under the OV Café, in the forward corner, where my assigned stateroom is located.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38655667&postcount=2

I've read many post about noise in areas further down the sides of the OV Café, so I don't think a change to one of those staterooms would be beneficial. :rolleyes:

Found this, also. However, it is just hearsay from the original post, so no actual encounter with this particular stateroom. :rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36548555&postcount=12

And this - the same stateroom location on the starboard side.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38553604&postcount=14

Now if I could just find out about that terrible noise in 2179 and evidence that it was fixed, I will be a happy clam!

Edited by Iamthesea

I cannot imagine that there would be significant issues with your assigned stateroom nearly 2.5 years later. A suite is not going to go unused for that long.

However, since you have the option/availability to switch to another S2 stateroom in the general vacinity, maybe that would be best for you to remove any concerns or anxiety you are feeling.

In 2013, I stayed in 2109 on the Reflection. This is further forward but under the Aqua Spa Cafe and Solarium area. I did not have the benefit of carpet on the floor above me, but I still didn't hear any perceptible amount of noise that would have been a detraction from my cruise experience. I have also booked cabins under the Oceanview on other ships and not had any issues with noise.

Enjoy your cruise which ever S2 you decide on!

Thanks, but it's not available. Only S2's on Deck 12 are.

An aft, 2219 is now showing available. Not sure I want to be all the way aft, or under open public areas. Plus, it appears that this stateroom connects with the corner aft.

I cannot imagine that there would be significant issues with your assigned stateroom nearly 2.5 years later. A suite is not going to go unused for that long.

However, since you have the option/availability to switch to another S2 stateroom in the general vacinity, maybe that would be best for you to remove any concerns or anxiety you are feeling.

Enjoy your cruise which ever S2 you decide on!

I cannot imagine it still being a problem, either, but you never know with Celebrity or the other cruiselines. Their game is to get you onboard, and tough luck if you have a problem with your stateroom!

I don't mind a little noise being above. Based on the other reviews that I found, it seems that the assigned area is the best area to be under in the OV Café.

Again, it's the horrible banging noises that I am worried about, now.

I saw those great deals come up yesterday, what date did you book? We are on the March 21st sailing! Will we be seeing you again?:p

Hi Lisa! We are on the 28th sailing. The deal (or upgrade that we bought :D) was suppose to be a President's Sale that was to end on Monday. It had a reduced rate of $450 (taken off the 3rd person rate. Originally, I was booked as the 3rd person for $799.) I noticed that the rate is still available and so is the GTY, although I supposedly receive the last GTY slot on Monday. :rolleyes: It did go away, but came back yesterday.

Edited by Iamthesea

Thanks, but it's not available. Only S2's on Deck 12 are.

An aft, 2219 is now showing available. Not sure I want to be all the way aft, or under open public areas. Plus, it appears that this stateroom connects with the corner aft.

I cannot imagine it still being a problem, either, but you never know with Celebrity or the other cruiselines. Their game is to get you onboard, and tough luck if you have a problem with your stateroom!

I don't mind a little noise being above. Based on the other reviews that I found, it seems that the assigned area is the best area to be under in the OV Café.

Again, it's the horrible banging noises that I am worried about, now.

Hi Lisa! We are on the 28th sailing. The deal (or upgrade that we bought :D) was suppose to be a President's Sale that was to end on Monday. It had a reduced rate of $450 (taken off the 3rd person rate. Originally, I was booked as the 3rd person for $799.) I noticed that the rate is still available and so is the GTY, although I supposedly receive the last GTY slot on Monday. :rolleyes: It did go away, but came back yesterday.

We've been in #2219, and it doesn't connect with the S1 next door. But it is located in a private hallway. The public area above is the outside aft deck, outside of the Oceanview Restaurant. You do hear some chair scraping noises, but it's not too noisy, and quiet at night.

We usually book S2 cabins, and that area is our preferred choice.

Thank you. Would you mind answering some more questions?

You say quiet at night. Isn't the area opened at night from both the OV Café and the bar? I am afraid of hearing laughing/conversations all through the night and during the day for that matter (we sail Spring Break) I am also leery of smoke, ash (port is smoking) and food smells. :rolleyes:

Is the walk terribly bad to the elevators. I don't mind walking, but would prefer to be closer to the elevators. :)

Is it true that the glass on the balcony is frosted and that you cannot see out when sitting?

Anything else you can share?

Do you have any photos?

Edited by Iamthesea

Thank you. Would you mind answering some more questions?

You say quiet at night. Isn't the area opened at night from both the OV Café and the bar? I am afraid of hearing laughing/conversations all through the night and during the day for that matter (we sail Spring Break) I am also leery of smoke, ash (port is smoking) and food smells. :rolleyes:

Is the walk terribly bad to the elevators. I don't mind walking, but would prefer to be closer to the elevators. :)

Is it true that the glass on the balcony is frosted and that you cannot see out when sitting?

Anything else you can share?

Do you have any photos?

The deck above #2219 is a public space, but is closed to passengers after around 10:00pm. The fire doors are closed from the Oceanview Restaurant to the outside deck.

The glass on the balcony isn't frosted.

We feel the walk to the elevator isn't long at all. You get use to it quickly.

But it's the views from the balcony that keep us booking this location every time we sail. Very peaceful.

Hi, I was the original poster about the problem with that sky suite on 2012.

I have sailed Reflection twice since, once in the same cabin we had next door to the "bad" cabin, and heard no complaints from the neighbors on the 2013 sailing.

On the 2014 sailing we stayed in the aft starboard side Sky Suite 1 corner cabin on deck 12.

No real noise from the bar seating above, no soot, and a great view from the balcony. It is a little walk to the elevators, but I still managed to gain a few pounds on that sailing as well. If the other cabin is the port Sky Suite, you may smell smoke or not. We sailed in the Sky Suite 1 in February 2014 on Reflection.

You will like either cabin. As far as the " bad "cabin on the TA, the engineers tried and could not fix it, and they unscrewed wall and ceiling panels, and even braced the walls to stop the noise. There were not any empty cabins on the sailing, or they would have been moved.

The engineers came into our cabin which was next door several times to try and figure out what was causing all of the noise in the next cabin. The best answer they had was that the cabin when installed was misaligned.

The good news was that the occupants of that cabin got a very generous credit for a future sailing, and Celebrity fixed the cabin once they got to Miami, and could take the room apart and realign everything.

I hope you have a wonderful sailing, and no worries about a problem they fixed more than two years ago.

:) Thank you so much for coming here and telling me that. This makes my decision...I think! :D

In your stateroom, 2177, could you hear noise from the café, above? Do you remember if your friend ever heard noise having to do with the above café and not the engineering noise?

Another question...I have read reviews that on the other Solstice class ships, same location on starboard, there is a crew door that is constantly being opened and closed. Was there a crew door across from you?

Anything else that I should know about that area? It is very convenient.:) DH and I usually stay in the midship areas in angled balcony staterooms.

Edited by Iamthesea

No noise from the café that we remember. We did hear some pool deck noise in our cabin when the balcony was open and there was a late night band party, but then again it did not go on very late.

Never heard rolling carts or passengers going into Oceanview buffet. Our next door cabin mates never said anything about hearing other noises. Their cabin was so noisy that the engineers set up a noise machine to take readings in the cabin, and it went on 24-7.

You are far enough forward that the buffet should not be a problem. The Reflection also seemed better insulated to me than other sky suites on Solstice class ships where we were booked in the same general area. There was a crew door in the area, but there was no slamming of the door or voices outside loud enough to disturb anyone.

You do have an overhang on the balcony, but then the pool deck is nearby for those sun worshippers. You also feel less motion more midship, although after a few trips to any of the bars, you may feel motion no matter where your cabin is situated!

You will have a great trip, and you will enjoy whichever cabin you decide to keep!

I have made the decision to stay put. :) Read some more reviews where it was mentioned that staterooms 2174 - 2187 were mostly noise free. It's under the galley (kitchen) area that gets all the noise.

There will be "some" noise on deck 12. It shouldn't be enough to bother most people but why not bring some earplugs just in case.

Just in case, we will pack some ear plugs. I also carry a white noise machine when traveling, and my daughters both have WN apps on their phones. And I love leaving the balcony door opened! Since I will not be traveling with DH this time, I will be allowed to leave the door open. :D He doesn't like it.

I am very happy and I think the only reason to move would be if a S2 opens up on a lower deck.

Thank you to everyone!