Windstar Sells Their Most Historic and Least Appreciated Asset!

Calliope

I bet I got your attention now!

Windstar Cruises a division of The Zanterra Co. has finally divested itself of the U.S. National Historic Landmark Str. DELTA QUEEN which it purchased along with Windstar from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in 2008 after the previous owner of the vessel Ambassadors International filed for bankruptcy. Since 2009 the DELTA QUEEN has been leased by Zanterra to others for use as a hotel in Chattanooga, TN.

Yesterday the sale of the DELTA QUEEN was completed to a group of investors whose business plan is to return the DELTA QUEEN to overnight service on the Mississippi River System once again. Their current plans call for the boat to be taken to a southern city and operated as a hotel until legislation is presented and passes Congress and signed by the President to allow the DELTA QUEEN with her wooden superstructure to operate again.

Although there is no guarantee that such legislation will pass this year, the new owners have been in touch with senators and representatives to hopefully see that it does. If so the DELTA QUEEN could be steaming the heartland of America during 2016!

We are booked on AQ March 11 Nola to Memphis. Room513. Have read everything here, sounds like this could be an adventure! Thanks all for posting stuff about the AQ and the trip.

I would like to know beat way to get to riverside Hilton from Nola airport (we are coming in three days early), and have 3 more days in Memphis. Where I have no idea what we will do!. We have been traveling to Europe and doing home exchanges lately. Just felt like going to the south!

Janet

Thanks for the kind compliment! Steamboats have ben a part of my entire life.

Really, the best way to get from MSY to the Hilton for two or more people is taxi. It's a set rate, and that rate is posted along with additional charges that a hack is allowed to add such as for excessive luggage or more than three passengers.

Room 513 is a nice room, there is nothing wrong with it, but I might suggest that you call AQSC or your travel agent and see if the same sort of room on the port side might be available. The rooms on the port side have both a door onto the guard and into the hallway if there is inclement weather. And honestly, as far as scenery it doesn't make any difference as to which side you should be on.