Need advice on cruise choices.

mgh-pa

Hi there.

What started off as a break from the all-inclusive vacations two years ago has turned into us planning a possible third cruise (did one last year as well).

We are young and this will most likely be our last big vacation before our first child. We try to go somewhere different with every vacation to experience as much as possible.

So this year, we're looking at two possibilities - Western and Southern Caribbean.

We've sailed with Carnival and Celebrity so far, and we've narrowed down a few cruises this time around that are Carnival and RC. We're just unsure of departure ports and the itineraries.

This first one is actually on the same ship we sailed on two years ago. The Carnival Liberty departing from San Juan with the following itinerary:

Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. >> Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Another choice is with the RC Freedom of the Seas departing from Orlando with the following itinerary:

Departs From Port Canaveral (Orlando), Florida visiting Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island) >> Falmouth, Jamaica >> George Town, Grand Cayman >> Cozumel, Mexico

Finally out of Galveston, TX, we have the RC Navigator of the Seas with the following itinerary:

Departs From Galveston, Texas visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> Belize City, Belize >> Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras

My wife and I will most likely take one excursion total, but spend the rest of the time exploring and DEFINITELY take time on the beaches (that's a priority).

We haven't been to any of the above destinations except St.Thomas and San Juan, so they're all new to us.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. >> Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten

The above is a wonderful itinerary for "beach people"! :)

LuLu

The above is a wonderful itinerary for "beach people"! :)

LuLu

How is the San Juan airport for flying in and getting to the ship?

We were in port at San Juan two years ago and loved it. We spent the whole day walking and touring the fort on the point of the island, stopping in shops, etc.

How is the San Juan airport for flying in and getting to the ship?

We were in port at San Juan two years ago and loved it. We spent the whole day walking and touring the fort on the point of the island, stopping in shops, etc.

San Juan airport is easy for flying in. You go outside and get in line for a taxi. We flew in the day before so we had all day to see the area. Next year we are flying in 2-3 days early.

I prefer Southern Caribbean. Since you're a beach person, the Caribbean beaches have the soft cool white sand (from ground coral).

The Western Caribbean is basically Mexico and Central America - hot brown sand. Although Jamaica does have nice beaches.

The flight to San Juan is long and can be expensive, so you need to take that into consideration. But it's worth it.

RCCL also has Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan..

Ports of Call:

San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; San Juan, Puerto Rico

I would pick any cruise from San Juan if you have never been there. JetBlue has round trips from Pittsburgh for under $400 pp happy cruising