Kusadasi Car Rental

Who would be taking advantage of us? I'm not interested in paying for something private or being stuck with strangers. Due to my husband's disability, we need the flexibility of driving on our own.

I've yet to hear anything negative....and I've been scouring the boards.

Our tour guide in Kusadasi recommended against renting a car there. There are a lot of people trying to take advantage of cruisers. Have you considered booking a private tour?

Hello, can you please be more specific? I was also thinking about renting a car. Thank you.

We rented from SixT, though it's a 15 min walk from the pier (they gave us a lift back to the pier). Inexpensive, though not worth the grief if you just want to visit Ephesus (book a tour in advance, or negotiate a taxi on the day). But ideal if you want to explore elsewhere like Sirinci or the National Park & coastline beyond Guzelcamli.

I don't understand Podi's post either - sounds like that tour operator's advice was purely to sell a tour. Rental in Kusadasi is no different to elsewhere, though as anywhere in the world we use only pre-booked internationally-known agencies or highly recommended locals rather than an unknown agency in a foreign land.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

There are quite a few rental car agency offices located within walking distance of the port. Our normal practice is simply to shop-around (on the internet) for the best deal. On our last visit we rented from Europcar and it was somewhat amusing. The car (stick shift) was a bit older then we would have expected but in excellent shape. The staff all spoke excellent English and when they took me out to check-out the car I noticed that the gas tank was on "Empty." They explained that the normal practice was to just return the car on "empty" which is always "fun" to plan. So we took off (on empty) to drive some distance to the city of Tire (they had their fascinating weekly market that day of the week) and nearly held our breath until we reached a gas station out of town along the highway.

I should mention (we have previously posted this info) that the roads in this part of Turkey are excellent. There are some major highways that have good signs (with English lettering) and even the 2 lane back roads are in good shape. Having a GPS is helpful, or you do need a decent map. We have our own Garmin Nuvi (with European maps) which worked perfectly in Turkey and was surprisingly accurate (we have had some issues with the maps in Italy).

Hank

Thank you! I booked with Lion as they seem to be well regarded here and on TA.

Gps: I have a tomtom, but only with Germany/Austria and Ireland. I need to look into full european maps. We go every year and usually rent a car, so it may be worth it to invest in full european maps.