"LIVE" from the Oasis of the Seas - February 21, 2015

niksmom630

Thanks again for your information and pictures and reviews, etc. It seems like a lot of work! AFter your first night of MTD, did it get better? I noticed on our last cruise, the first night (on Celebrity) was just plain awful for those doing the equivalent of MTD -- mass confusion, long lines, etc. Not that our fixed dining time was going much better, but it seemed to be substantially better by night #2. Just curious if that was your experience on Oasis.

Actually, with the speed of the wifi, it was very easy to upload many photos, so it was not time consuming at all. I had plenty of R & R time...the hardest part is the scanning of the compasses, but photobucket was cooperating well this morning, so I was able to get the rest of the posted!!! :D

We actually did not got to MTD dining on the first night, because I anticipated it might be madness, so we ate at Sabor instead. The second night was our first attempt at it, and it was formal night. That, combined with the early dining time we had selected was likely the problem.

The dining room manager basically assigned us a table for the remainder of the week, and told us to bypass the MTD check in. From that point onward, the MDR experience was wonderful.

Well, I think this wraps it up!

Glad that those of you following along enjoyed the photos, and for those with Oasis cruises scheduled, hope this helps with your pre-cruise planning. I'm so grateful to those who take the time to report and post photos....it gets me through the days of waiting until our next voyage--so I'm paying it back!

Final thoughts, tips and tidbits....

-- Having the bed by the closet configuration is a real pain in a D1 cabin. I thought I would prefer it being more open by the balcony, but I was wrong. You're actually trying to access the closet more than you would think, particularly because the safe is in the closet also. The lack of drawers also contributes to the problem, because there are only 2 vs. 4-6 drawers in D1 cabins on other ships--so practically everything goes in the closet!!!! I would not choose this configuration again.

-- A positive about Oasis cabins? There are 4 outlets...three on the desk, and one behind the bed.

-- We usually got coffee each morning at the Café Promenade, as it was open 24 hours (well, the first 6 mornings, anyway). There are no "to go" cups located by the coffee machine. They are actually behind the counter, and you may have to ask for them. We always pack our insulated RCI travel mugs....they hold more, and your coffee will stay hot longer! ;)

-- Don't be deterred by the lines you may see forming at the Park Café at lunch time. They actually move fairly quickly and the problem is everyone is directed through a single file line taking you past the salad bar prep area. If you don't want salad, and just want to get a sandwich, you are stuck in the same line. They probably should consider a different flow here, as the salad prep seems to be the biggest hold up. A bit of patience may be in order, but the roast beef sandwiches are very good. Never saw a line here in the morning....

-- The food at Sabor is very good--we really enjoyed it on Navigator, which is why we tried it again on Oasis. The atmosphere on the one on Oasis is quite different though. Probably because it was converted from the Seafood Shack, and they didn't invest must in changing the décor. It feels a lot like eating at a Chili's....perhaps that's why they have ala carte pricing here. It certainly does not have the upscale, "fine" dining feel that we experienced in Navigator. I probably would have felt disappointed if I had paid $25 PP to eat here...although with the ala carte pricing and a beverage, it was fairly close to that anyway...

-- I found myself wishing for more time to do things--never tried the rising tide bar, never had lunch or breakfast in the MDR, didn't hit all the shops, or try the spa. Trying to balance relaxation and fitting everything in can be a challenge on this ship. It's the perfect ship to choose a B2B....;)

-- They set up the beer and pineapple drink tables at the pool deck on sea days. This helps some of the congestion at the Pool and Sand Bars, if you are just looking for a beer...They also brought out one of those little popcorn machines. What a dirty trick that is! My deck chair was about 15 feet away and downwind from that stupid popcorn machine all afternoon. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and paid $2 PLUS gratuity, for a 5 x 3 inch paper bag of popcorn. :mad:

-- Not only do you have to sign out towels, but they are also not passed out on the debarkation deck when you walk off for excursions. You will need to sign them out on Deck 15 (port or starboard side), if you need a towel for your excursion. There are also no towels available in the Solarium.

Well, I'm off to plan my next cruise...I don't think I can wait a whole year until Brilliance next February!!!!! :eek::eek:

Thanks again for your amazing report and amazing pictures.

Our sailing is still almost a year away but DH is already salivating over your picture of the bacon wrapped chicken at Sabor!! Are they as good as they look?:D

Thank you once again. It was a wonderful review.:cool:

I see from the Compass that the second formal night is on Night 6, which kind of messes up my plannng.:rolleyes: We will be on the Western route in May and Day 6 is Cozumel untl 7 PM. Day 5 is at sea. Does anyone know if the Western Route has formal nght on Day 5 instead of Day 6? It just makes sense to me that it would be that way, but what do I know?

Day 2 Formal Nght - Is the Seafood theme in the Windjammer that night? I thought that I had read it was. I would like to try that!

I see from the Compass that the second formal night is on Night 6, which kind of messes up my plannng.:rolleyes: We will be on the Western route in May and Day 6 is Cozumel untl 7 PM. Day 5 is at sea. Does anyone know if the Western Route has formal nght on Day 5 instead of Day 6? It just makes sense to me that it would be that way, but what do I know?

I'm pretty sure that on the Western route, Day 5 is the second formal night. At least it was on Freedom a year or so ago.

Thank you once again. It was a wonderful review.:cool:

Day 2 Formal Nght - Is the Seafood theme in the Windjammer that night? I thought that I had read it was. I would like to try that!

Check Bill's live blog below...he did the Western route and I think he also posted a new thread with the Compasses...I know he's the one who told us all about the lobster in the windjammer the first formal night! 👍👍

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2151400

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Check Bill's live blog below...he did the Western route and I think he also posted a new thread with the Compasses...I know he's the one who told us all about the lobster in the windjammer the first formal night! 👍👍

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2151400

Yes! That is where I saw it. Thank you for the reminder. I have saved his Compass link in my folder now. Hopefully, things won't change much between now and then (although some of our shows have already been switched since we reserved them.:rolleyes:)

Is there a fee for the Aqua Theatre shows?

all the shows are free but you should really make reservations if you want a guaranteed seat. You can do that online in your reservation or onboard in your stateroom on the TV. Reservations are let in first then whatever seats are left are given to the stand by line 10 minutes prior to show time.

I spoke with the presidents office about the lack of frozen drink menus. And it sounds like they are aware of it and they are not going to offer the menus on the ship. They suggested ask the bartender for drink ideas..

This sounds so bizarre

Thanks for the great report and pictures!

Question... what are the charges like for Sabor? We are thinking of having lunch there on embarkation day. There are 13 of us including 7 kids. Is it going to break the bank?

Our bill for 5 people, which included three of the premium margaritas was $82. I think the margaritas were around $14 each, so the food portion was about half of that $82! Most food items on the menu were $4-5 dollars as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question... what are the charges like for Sabor? We are thinking of having lunch there on embarkation day. There are 13 of us including 7 kids. Is it going to break the bank?

You should be able to find a Sabor menu online. The prices are pretty reasonable. You can get a complete meal for around $20 and it's likely more than enough for 2 people to share for lunch, and the items are available a la carte. Of course, it depends how hungry you are. BTW are you sure they're open on embarkation? I don't know that I've ever heard of people doing that.

Edited by MisterBill99

So, what time can Diamond (not Plus) members actually board? We're on Saturday's cruise and got email and phone calls yesterday with a schedule of when to show up. They told us 1:30 and apparently only Diamond Plus and above can board at 12:30 (Diamond did not quality, which really amazed me). Now, I know that the cruise line invariably gives times that are much later than reality and I was planning to be at the terminal no later than 11. How long am I likely going to have to wait to board?

You should be able to find a Sabor menu online. The prices are pretty reasonable. You can get a complete meal for $20 and it's likely more than enough to share between 2-3 people for lunch. Of course, it depends how hungry you are. BTW are you sure they're open on embarkation? I don't know that I've ever heard of people doing that.

Yes, Sabor was open on boarding day at 11:30!

I spoke with the presidents office about the lack of frozen drink menus. And it sounds like they are aware of it and they are not going to offer the menus on the ship. They suggested ask the bartender for drink ideas..

This sounds so bizarre

I've never seen a frozen drink menu on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Do other lines have them?

So, what time can Diamond (not Plus) members actually board? We're on Saturday's cruise and got email and phone calls yesterday with a schedule of when to show up. They told us 1:30 and apparently only Diamond Plus and above can board at 12:30 (Diamond did not quality, which really amazed me). Now, I know that the cruise line invariably gives times that are much later than reality and I was planning to be at the terminal no later than 11. How long am I likely going to have to wait to board?

I just saw another thread on this as well. We are D+, travelled with DBIL and DSIL who are Gold and were on Deck 6. ( 3:00 pm boarding) We arrived at the port a little before 11. They were allowed to join us in the D+ boarding area and we were on the ship before 11:30. The terminal was relatively empty at that time. They were not enforcing boarding times.

You will probably be boarding between 11am and noon.