West coast port dispute settled !

swedish weave

Would you mind being very specific about your job in the transportation business? The person you have replied to was very specific and provided excellent background and explantions.

Being in the "transportation business" as a dispatcher, driver, dock worker or ??? would be very different from being an "owner / operator.

Knowing your specific past employment would be much more insightful and interesting than just some ending comment not supported by any facts.

Just curious.....

It would serve no purpose for me to post personal information on these boards. In fact, CC discourages it.

Your previous posts indicate that you don't believe the cruise ships were involved in the dispute even though much as been posted to the contrary, so I opt to not fuel any further arguments.

Edited by swedish weave

I disagree with you I drive a 2010 Kenworth got it when it was brand new it has a Cummings ISX motor in it. There are 16 trucks where I work and very rarely does one have trouble with the regen system had a few filters clog that's a couple hour job and how does road salt get into the filters when its a closed system?We

have not had much problems with egr valves a few have gone out but are mechanics can change one pretty quickly.Theses are off road logging trucks so they get worked a lot harder then your highway trucks:)

It's the mileage that accumulates which I would have a hard time believing your logging trucks run the miles over the road trucks do. Our mechanics can change out the EGR valves very rapidly IF the truck is close to our shop. BUT if the truck is 1000 miles away from the shop, what are you going to do? Take it to the shop or find the part and fix it in a parking lot yourself. The regen system on an ISX is SUPPOSED to be maintained at 200-250,000 miles. We have yet to get 100,000 miles out of one (and we only have 9 Cummins-got a good deal on the trucks. Everything else is Caterpillar).

But I have 15 out of 27 O/O that have Cummins and they are always in the shop or being fixed by the O/O, especially the EGR valves. And that Cummins regen system-clean air/dirty air system. So the road salt is floating around in the clean air (the same air you breathe is going into your engine) and gets regenerated through the dirty air part of the system. If the system has to be taken apart, they pull out the filters, scrub them and then BAKE THEM in a special oven for 12 hours. 2 day job that costs about $1900. The dirty part of the air system can also effect the turbo bearings due to the high heat.

Call any Kenworth dealer if you don't believe me.

This from a mechanic in PA that has perfected an EGR/Regen DELETE system (and he is selling a lot of them just due to all the problems). NOT recommended if you go into CA but other states, mostly OK.

"Why do EGR valves fail? Heat and/or soot mostly, but they can also fail from road salt intrusion. On many of the earlier EGR engines, and even on a few new ones, the exhaust gas from the manifold is sent into the EGR valve before it is cooled by the EGR cooler. This means that the EGR valve suffers the full 570+ degree heat from the exhaust."

Your company is very, very lucky.

Would you mind being very specific about your job in the transportation business? The person you have replied to was very specific and provided excellent background and explantions.

Being in the "transportation business" as a dispatcher, driver, dock worker or ??? would be very different from being an "owner / operator.

Knowing your specific past employment would be much more insightful and interesting than just some ending comment not supported by any facts.

Just curious.....

I didn't figure you would get a cohesive answer but I am just making a pretty educated guess that this person was on the supply side/procurement side which set the rates for trucks. Or was a truck broker (but I don't think so based on the word FACILITY below) All based on these answers:

"The teamsters that had an agreement to service our facility were replaced with a company that was non-union and the company that had the contract with the teamsters was disbanded."

"We had contracts with about 2000 trucking companies and most were owner operators. "