Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

Starting reading this review this morning and finally caught up! I had a few questions:

1) Do you have a pic of the menu for O'Sheehan's? If not do you recall what food they serve? Are kids allowed in there?

2) My husband is a diabetic and noticed there was at least 1 offering of dessert in the dining room. Did you happen to notice if the Buffet had surgar free desserts as well?

3) Is there pizza served in other areas besides the $5 room charge?

4) We just came off the Allure of the Seas and it seemed there were more complementary shows than on this ship - would you agree (being that you were on its sister ship Oasis?)

Thanks for your time - great review so far!! We are looking at a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise and this ship looks like it has a lot to offer compared to the Serenade of the Seas (kid-wise)...

Catgrab - I know the answer to some of those...

2 - I did always see sugar free dessert offerings at the buffet.

3 - there's (different) pizza offered at the buffet and at la Cucina (but that's an up charge)

My first ever visit to one of these Brazilian barbecue grills was on the Epic last year. I thought overall it was okay; the salad bars are undoubtedly of a superior standard and the novelty of the way various meats are brought out and presented to you and carved-from-the-skewers, gives a degree of excitement as to what delights may be in store. The anticipation is not quite followed up with anything that makes much of an impression. Now that the novelty factor has gone, more focus is directed to the quality of the actual meats; and this is where my main disappointment lies...

I would much prefer a few ounces of meat that is tender-and-delicious than untold quantities of a lesser standard. The beef cuts were all rather dry and lacking tenderness, even when cooked medium rare. Last time the lamb chop was good; but this time it was both tough and gristly. So the only meats I enjoyed this time were the chicken leg, which was moist-and-flavoursome; and the pork ribs. Other than the fried bananas, the accompaniments were not really to my liking either. The roast pineapple however was delicious; and that together with the salad bar, were the highlights of the meal. It’s only now that I have read the menu prior to posting that I notice mention-of-fish; and yet on neither visit did I see any, nor was I made aware of its availability. Perhaps it’s a for-order-only alternative to the meats. So I just doubt I’ll be returning to Moderno when, for the money, I could have something in another venue that I would enjoy much more...

Note price of cocktails on the current menu...

Moderno%20menu-8454_zpsfnfe4plt.jpg

Turn this card to green when you want more meats offered; red on reverse when you don’t...

Moderno%20green%20card-7043_zpsld8tz5id.jpg

Soups at salad bar...

Moderno%20buffet%20soups-8669_zpsjm7eygpc.jpg

Salad to start...

Moderno%20salad-7042_zpsu7rneyd0.jpg

Meats carved at table from skewers...

Moderno%20gaucho%20carve-7045_zpsfgr3bub7.jpg

Moderno%20rib%20drum%20wide-8686_zpsmtpdkvbq.jpg

moderno%20crop%20meat-7047_zps0kvn4fid.jpg

Sides...

Moderno%20sides-_zps0eswwxro.jpg

Menu from Epic (to show desserts); notice cocktails price increase of 33% since June 2014...

DSCF1242-9_zps2cc0b762.jpg

Coconut Flan, is what it says on menu; seemed more like Creme Caramel...

Moderno%202%20%20pud-7064_zpsfk4xnhub.jpg

Starting reading this review this morning and finally caught up! I had a few questions:

1) Do you have a pic of the menu for O'Sheehan's? If not do you recall what food they serve? Are kids allowed in there?

Yes, kids are fine in o'Sheehans.

The food is basically pub food. Burgers, wings, pot pie, stuff like that. They also have a couple of nights with things like the prime rib.

It’s a long time since I have been to what used-to-be-called a disco or what seems now to be called a club, where dance music is played... The only music I hear on radio is mainstream; so I am quite out of touch with the music that younger folk now dance to. I assumed it would be a deafening unmelodic cacophony that I would hate... How wrong I was; I loved it. It was so instantly catchy and exciting. The audience reaction was pretty immediate, and in no-time the entire area was filled with luminous, writhing bodies enraptured by the pulsating and mesmerising sounds expertly and seamlessly meshed together by a terrific DJ. Most deck parties I have seen before have been a bit of a flop with very dated, hackneyed music like YMCA; whereas this one seemed to me to be very much of the moment. Might not appeal to all; but it did to me...

Countdown about to commence...

glow%20screen-7067_zpst714ur5z.jpg

Glow%202%20inflatables-8704_zpsqkdr3b7h.jpg

Glow%20glowsticks-7086_zpszqicynqv.jpg

Glow%20upright%20%20bright%20dancers-7189_zpswfbi73hw.jpg

Glow%203%20stage%20dancers-7143_zpswgplftnk.jpg

Glow%20bright%20dancers-7100_zpsmnuda6lu.jpg

The food is gorgeous, so well crafted. Your pictures are amazing, keep them coming I am hanging on every new sight and description.

Many thanks for your kind comment and for following along.

Sorry it's taking longer than expected. Thanks to everyone for their patience and for hanging-in there.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Luv your post. Am excited to read more. Your pics are outstanding. Please continue with all the details (really liked the menu pic). Thanks so much for posting.

So pleased to hear when someone is following along. Thanks for commenting.

Kind regards

megacruiser

I'm loving your review - many thanks for taking the time to do this. Your pictures are really great and giving me a perfect 'flavour' of NCL.

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to give feedback. It really means a lot; and helps me greatly in keeping the momentum going.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Still loving your review megacruiser! For a first time fireworks picture taker I'd say you did good! (Much better than any I've ever taken) Since you watched them from Cagneys, is it pretty much true that you can see them from anywhere on the port side of the ship? Thanks!

Hello sue402001,

Yes I am pretty sure you will see the fireworks from anywhere on the port side. However, as I already mentioned, you may get a slightly more unimpeded view from the top decks. Where I was positioned, the overhang from the upper decks slightly cut off part of the fireworks. Not sure how busy it was up top; so that may need to be factored in as to where would be the best proposition/compromise.

Thanks for your kind compliment...

Kind regards

megacruiser

ROTFL. I hope to experiance the same, the alcohol consumption, on our upcoming Breakaway cruise.

Well, a little over-indulgence whilst on vacation can surely be justified. I have no problem in doing so... :)

Have a great time on Breakaway.

Kind regards

megacruiser

This is an amazing review. We are on the Sun in about 3 weeks and just learning about the Viva Vino list is a little grace. But you are giving us all so much more - definitely following!

Many thanks for giving such positive feedback and for following along. Won't be long before your cruise; have a wonderful time.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thank you SO much for posting this amazing and detailed review!!! I have until Monday to make a decision and this is incredibly helpful. Just two questions for you, if I may…. did you find this ship to be any less stable than other large ships? Or have any excess vibration? I've seen occasional references to that and I find it hard to believe….

We are currently holding mini suites on deck 10 and have to put down a deposit on Monday.

Thanks!!!

Thank you SO much for posting this amazing and detailed review!!! I have until Monday to make a decision and this is incredibly helpful. Just two questions for you, if I may…. did you find this ship to be any less stable than other large ships? Or have any excess vibration? I've seen occasional references to that and I find it hard to believe….

We are currently holding mini suites on deck 10 and have to put down a deposit on Monday.

Thanks!!!

Hello bcaha,

No stability or vibration issues that I was aware of on Getaway...

Any ship will be affected if you encounter heavy seas. Modern megaships, that are very tall compared to traditional cruise ships, can have quite significant movement on the higher decks, particularly the more forward you go. I know this from recent experience on the Quantum. The motion in my Deck 6 midships cabin wasn't an issue at all, as we ploughed through 18-feet-high waves; but on going up to the Solarium on Deck 15 forward, the same sea condition was causing significant ship movement, to the extent that keeping balance was at times problematic.

My advice to anyone who fears ship motion is to book a midships cabin on a lower deck. It really does make a difference if the worst happens.

Others may have their own suggestions, and may respond too...

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thanks so much megacruiser. We have cruised before, just not with NCL, so I am familiar with ship movement. One of my friends complained about the Getaway, but her husband said they went through a storm. I just wanted to be sure that this ship was similar to other large ships. Deck 10 was the lowest deck I could get since I want to be over other cabins and in the center/towards the aft and have a balcony. Hopefully it will be great! I look forward to more installments of your review. Thanks again!!!!

Edited by bcaha

Thank you so much for this review. We're booked on the Escape May 2016 for our first NCL cruise. The ONLY thing that could be better than this is your Escape review next year!!! Now, after reading and seeing all of your incredible food photos, I MUST go find something to eat!!!

Been working on the Deck 6 Tour and should be able to post it tomorrow. Then Day 7, followed by miscellaneous lists, disembarkation info and bits-and-pieces. I'll also do a direct feature-by-feature comparison of Getaway against the Epic. Thanks for all the comments and feedback... Good night.