Natural Bridge has collapsed

Dutch Diver

This just in: the Natural Bridge has collapsed. :eek:

My colleage's parents, who live on Aruba, phoned to report this.

Other sources (local radio) are live at the scene. No pictures, yet.

Nobody got hurt, but the Natural Bridge really is GONE, broken, kaput.

(updates from aruba-bb.com)

Seems that at about 4:00 a.m., this huge bridge came crashing down. The water below does not flow inside to the small beach anymore!

There are hundreds of people right now looking at what happened. People are looking without saying words. There is a traffic jam on the road.

Basically, it is Mother Nature working... with erosion etc. Some say that they felt an "earthquake" at around 4:00 a.m., and that is what may caused it. But there is no proof of any earthquake happening today in this area. Maybe when this huge piece of bridge came down, it might have shook this whole area of the island.

Some heavy equipment are en route.. but what can they do? What can we do? Nothing. Aruba has 7 Natural Bridges, so now we are left with only 6 lesser-known and difficult-to-get-to bridges.

Every press member is down there, including American Press. Watch the newswire for any info....

That has eliminated one of the most attractive spots on Aruba; that whole coast was spectacular. I read about the collapse in the newspaper today and hated to tell DH -- he was so afraid when I walked out on the natural bridge that it was going to collapse, and I thought he was nuts.

Will be there is Jan and was thinking of that.

But an after thought is there any chance those guys who killed that young girl where under it at the time. :mad: Sorry I have daughters as well so just had to say that.

Oh no, I'm so disappointed. We will be in Aruba in October on our cruise and we had definite plans to visit the natural bridge. I'm sure it must have been a wonderful site for all the lucky tourists who visited it in the past. Now I will have to break the news of its collapse to my fellow cruisers.

Rotti Say What U Want We Live In America And I Wish The Animals I Mean Boys Were Also Under The Bridge And I Also Have 2 Daughters And Cool Crusin Get A Life Quit Posting Everytime We Mention Aruba We Dont Care What U Think At Least I Dont

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is no hoax. I just return from a cruise that spent last Friday at Aruba. We rented a Jeep Wrangler to go 4-wheeling in the desert and go to Natural Pool. On the way, we could see from a distant hill where the Natural Bridge once was, and it was indeed collapsed. Go to Natural Pool instead with a mask and snorkel. There are many tropical fish in the pool. If the waves are not too bad, you can venture out of the pool to the adjacent ocean reefs for excellent snorkeling that rivals any I've ever done in places like Grand Cayman, Trunk Bay - St John, Maui, Grenada, St Lucia, Barbados, and the Fla Keys.

Archived