DCL best hints and helps????

charlie52

We are going on our first Disney Cruise on the Dream in August and taking all of the kids and grands with us. I am finding the cruise website surprisingly difficult and information kind of hard to find. Since it is our first Disney cruise (and a very short cruise) I am trying to find out as much information as possible and be prepared for all our family who have never cruised before. I know that I am just a tad stressed as this is our very first big family vacation and I REALLY want this to be a great experience for all! HELP!

To those who are regular Disney cruisers can you give this DCL newbie Mimi a heads up...hints and helps?!?

It is becoming apparent that because we are new to Disney we will have little or no chance at Cabanas or other perks. Right?

I have excursions taken care of. What else needs to be done before cruising?

I cannot find the PAT on any of my information. How important is this? We have already booked a car service that has us arriving at 11am. Is that too early? Since the cruise is so short I wanted the kids to be able to enjoy the ship as early as possible. It seems that I have read that the boarding process is very different to Celebrity (our usual cruise line)

I keep reading about how crazy crowded that the pool area is...more so than other cruises? Any tips?

Very confused about dining. I don't think that we will go for the specialty dining on such a short cruise and we have so many little ones with us. We are booked in early dining. Should I rethink this? is the kids program available during the dining hours?

Sorry, I feel as if this post is as confusing as I am confused:confused:

Thank you in advance for any help that you are able to provide

We are going on our first Disney Cruise on the Dream in August and taking all of the kids and grands with us. I am finding the cruise website surprisingly difficult and information kind of hard to find. Since it is our first Disney cruise (and a very short cruise) I am trying to find out as much information as possible and be prepared for all our family who have never cruised before. I know that I am just a tad stressed as this is our very first big family vacation and I REALLY want this to be a great experience for all! HELP!

To those who are regular Disney cruisers can you give this DCL newbie Mimi a heads up...hints and helps?!?

It is becoming apparent that because we are new to Disney we will have little or no chance at Cabanas or other perks. Right?

I have excursions taken care of. What else needs to be done before cruising?

I cannot find the PAT on any of my information. How important is this? We have already booked a car service that has us arriving at 11am. Is that too early? Since the cruise is so short I wanted the kids to be able to enjoy the ship as early as possible. It seems that I have read that the boarding process is very different to Celebrity (our usual cruise line)

I keep reading about how crazy crowded that the pool area is...more so than other cruises? Any tips?

Very confused about dining. I don't think that we will go for the specialty dining on such a short cruise and we have so many little ones with us. We are booked in early dining. Should I rethink this? is the kids program available during the dining hours?

Sorry, I feel as if this post is as confusing as I am confused:confused:

Thank you in advance for any help that you are able to provide

CALM DOWN Mimi!!!! You're in a safe place. We will help you.

I just got off my first Disney cruise (not my first cruse over all) last Monday. We were on the Dream for 3 nights and while I don't have small children, I can help.

First of all, go to the top of this message board and see the thread on Disney tips. Some of your questions will be answered there.

Second. Port Arrival. All I know, is we arrived at the port at 12:45 and after check in, we were able to walk right on the ship. I have NO IDEA whether my PAT time (11:30) had anything to do with it. The Port was crowded with people just sitting around so I'm going to assume that it did.

The pool area "seems" crowded, but we were always able to find a seat in a good spot. Cabanas (the buffet) also "seemed" crowded, but that is deceiving as we always found a table if not in Cabanas, then just right outside in the pool deck. The servers didn't seem concerned as to where you sat as long as you were comfortable.

There are tips to going on the AquaDuck with no lines so look for those. We were on a winter cruise and it was pretty cold to be honest. My son and I were able to ride it on the last full day of the cruise and we really enjoyed it.

We did late dining and I regret it. THAT'S JUST ME. I was very tired at the end of the day, and my body just really didn't react well to a late supper since I usually eat around 5:30 or 6pm at home. KEEP your early dining time. It will be easy for you to switch it if you change your mind since early dining is a coveted spot. Kids programs are available during dinner and after dinner.

The only thing I can't speak to is the meet and greet with the princess tickets. My son is 11.... we didn't deal with that.

Cabanas were not available when we were there. I didn't see a need for them to be honest. There were plenty of places to "camp out" at Castaway Cay... I did not feel deprived.

I think that's all I can speak to. I'm sure others will be along in a bit to fill in any blanks!

Cheers!

There is a sticky above of hints.

You will choose a PAT when you do your on line check in at 75 days before embarkation.

Cabanas are usually gone at 120 days when concierge and platinum castaway club can reserve them. However, people do release them at various times, so it is a matter of being on line at the right time.

What perks are you talking about? The cabana is the only thing that almost always is gone.

Kid programming is available 9 am till midnight. It is included in cruise fare for ages 3-17. Yes, it is open during dinner times. You'll see many debates on early vs. late dinner. Your choice really as there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Yes, the pools are crowded. But you don't go on a cruise for the pools.

I trust you are already booked, so will not get into those tips and hints.

READ the Navigator that you can get in the lobby before boarding. It will alert you to any ticketed events. Most of these are free but require a ticket for crowd control. Location to get tickets will be listed.

Dining--choose early or late. That's all you need to do. You will be assigned to a rotation which will be printed on your KTTW card. It tells you which restaurant to go to each night of the cruise. You will keep the same table number and same dining staff. By the end of the cruise, each family on board will have had the same experience--it is just a matter of where you sit when.

On the Celebrity Infinity, there was one huge dining room where we sat at the same table each night. On the Dream there are 3 rooms. You change rooms each night. That simple. If you don't like your time, you can ask to have it changed (although with a big group, this may not be possible). You can also eat in Cabanas (pool deck restaurant--buffet during the day, sit down with menu at night, not open first or last night of cruise). Other options are the pool deck fast food outlets and room service. Food is better on Celebrity.

Boarding--on Celebrity we got there, checked in, and walked on board. We arrived a little after noon. No crowds, no lines. Boarded and went to buffet lunch.

Dream--arrive, check in, wait till boarding number is called, walk on. Terminal is usually crowded and there are lines at least until 1 pm. PAT will determine your boarding card number. There is some stuff to do in the terminal before boarding--you can register the kids for programming, see characters intermittently, watch cartoons on TV screens. Once on board, go to lunch either at pool deck buffet or Enchanted Garden (served drinks, food is buffet).

Dream--soft drinks included with cruise fare. Infinity--soft drink package $7 per night of cruise.

Disembarkation--Infinity assigned disembarkation group. Waited for group time to be called before getting off. Dream--get off whenever you have completed breakfast. No groups, no assigned "get off the ship" times beyond everyone off by 9 am.

Thank you, thank you! This is a huge help to this Mimi.

I'm thinking that my children are still expecting the uber organized, clip board carrying Mom they were used to on vacations twenty five years ago.

I am not wanting to disappoint :D

Thank you, thank you! This is a huge help to this Mimi.

I'm thinking that my children are still expecting the uber organized, clip board carrying Mom they were used to on vacations twenty five years ago.

I am not wanting to disappoint :D

Hi Mimi! First, this mom wishes someone would treat me and my daughter to a cruise :p--how nice of you to do that for your family!

Second, I am also the uber-organized type with a color coordinated spreadsheet when I go to Disney World that I actually enjoy preparing!:D So I totally understand that.

What I've found great about cruising Disney is you will NOT need to do that for the cruise--especially on the shorter ones. Other than deciding if you want to disembark in Nassau (which we don't), you won't really know what's offered each day until you read the prior night's Navigator--it is recommended to bring along several colored highlighters so you can highlight your chosen daily activities for the children or adults. The other thing lots of people enjoy is Pirate Night, so be sure to suggest that they bring along dress up accessories or costumes if you think they will enjoy doing that. Also, princess dresses are a must for lots of little girls; you will see little princesses in abundance on the ship.

There also are a few things that you will need tickets for as MM mentioned - wine/beer, etc. tastings or princess gatherings if so interested. I think these can be obtained at GS when you first embark the ship.

My suggestion is to just try to relax and enjoy the beautiful ship and don't try to do too much (which of course we all do on the first cruise!;))

Disney really does take care of most everything when you are on the ship--the shows are scheduled for after dinner if you eat early or vice versa. And I found food to be plentiful, even though there is not a 24/7 buffet.

Oh and I also really enjoy Castaway Cay even without a cabana. The further down the beach you walk, the more spots seem to be available. It is also really nice to just walk around the island if you don't necessarily want to be on the actual beach all day. One other tip--if you go to the upper aft decks early that day, you can see the ship backing in to port. I find it very cool to watch this (actually I'm always amazed) and your family may too!