St Maarten on the cheap

mehimand5ofthem

For zero cost you can walk - perhaps 20 minutes - to Great Bay beach in Phillipsburg, put down your towels and enjoy the beach; umbrellas, beach chairs food or drink will, of course, be extra. I would suggest that you pick a spot on the beach as far west (further from the cruise pier) as possible as there is some pretty unsavory water feeding into the bay at the east end nearer the cruise piers.

Do spring for some sun block - you will regret a day on the beach if you come back burned.

If you want to head over to the French side by bus head to Back street- behind the main street(ask for info rom locals) and get on the local bus heading to Marigot. Fare is $2/person each way. Quite different to the Philipsburg side-quiet and interesting main street. Great Art Gallery half way down to the waterfront. Wander in and meet the artist and his wife. Very friendly. Beautiful house/gallery with a lovely garden to explore. Down by the waterfront there is a café/bar-Café en Passant with a great view of the harbour from the front patio. Enjoy a drink and the view. We love going there every time we are in St Martin. There are no Diamonds International stores anywhere nearby in Marigot. Allow for 30 minute ride there and alot 2 hours before sailing time to ensure you get back before sailing.

If you want to head over to the French side by bus head to Back street- behind the main street(ask for info rom locals) and get on the local bus heading to Marigot. Fare is $2/person each way. Quite different to the Philipsburg side-quiet and interesting main street. Great Art Gallery half way down to the waterfront. Wander in and meet the artist and his wife. Very friendly. Beautiful house/gallery with a lovely garden to explore. Down by the waterfront there is a café/bar-Café en Passant with a great view of the harbour from the front patio. Enjoy a drink and the view. We love going there every time we are in St Martin. There are no Diamonds International stores anywhere nearby in Marigot. Allow for 30 minute ride there and alot 2 hours before sailing time to ensure you get back before sailing.

Oops! Name of the café/bar is La Vie en Rose!!! Had a metal hiccup!

Oops! Name of the café/bar is La Vie en Rose!!! Had a metal hiccup!

Great suggestion ---

I hope that metal hiccup had no sharp edges - they can hurt. La Vie en Rose is a great people watching, sidewalk cafe kind of place - with amazing chocolate croissants -- I came up with the "free" suggestion, but it seems a shame to go all the way to the eastern Caribbean and then decide to scrimp.

You don't need to do the water taxi the walk isn't very far! We have been there several times and I had forgot how close it was on our last trip, we paid the $7 for the water taxi took the short ride over to the beach and I kicked myself when I realized I had wasted $14 to ride the taxi 1 way we just walked back to the ship.

I suppose if you don't handle heat or can't walk very well that it would be worth it, but otherwise save your money!!

What can a family do for free in St Maarten? Will be arriving at port (carnival) and want to be able to walk/bus to attractions and not book excursions.

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

If you are interested in history, the St. Maarten Museum is right there, off of Frontstreet. Free for students and children, $1 for adults.

I haven't visited since they moved to the new location, but have enjoyed it in the past.

gary