Scooters

dmtb518

Hi- looking for some help. I originally asked a question regarding the handicapped accessible room asking what was required to book this room. Now it looks like the person I was asking about does not want to come on the cruise because they feel they would slow everyone down. We are trying to convince him that we are on vacation and it doesn't have to be rushed. He has an amputated leg and has a prosthetic and also is now on oxygen. He is fully mobile on his own. However with his concerns, do you know how or where we can look into renting a scooter for the cruise? Thanks in advance for always helping with any questions.

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ is NCL's preferred company. Maybe the only one!

A wheelchair, scooter or walker may be the primary mobility assistance aid for getting on and off the ship for guests who cannot walk on their own. Norwegian Cruise Line has a limited supply of wheelchairs onboard. In order to accommodate our guests, Norwegian Cruise Line wheelchairs are reserved exclusively for embarkation and disembarkation situations. If you will require regular use of a wheelchair, we strongly recommend that you bring your own wheelchair with you or make rental arrangements with Special Needs at Sea.

Special Needs at Sea

Phone: (toll-free) 800-513-4515 or 954-585-0575

Fax: 954-585-0577

I worked with Special Needs at Sea and they were great and easy to deal with. I rented a 3 wheeled scooter for a 7 day cruise and it was $125. The scooter was in the cabin when we boarded, plugged in and ready to go. You just leave it in the cabin when you disembark. I used it at every port and just charged it every evening. Just contact them using the info valleyvillage gave you. I do not believe that any other scooter rental agency can get their equipment on board.

Edited by pizzalady1

Hi- looking for some help. I originally asked a question regarding the handicapped accessible room asking what was required to book this room. Now it looks like the person I was asking about does not want to come on the cruise because they feel they would slow everyone down. We are trying to convince him that we are on vacation and it doesn't have to be rushed. He has an amputated leg and has a prosthetic and also is now on oxygen. He is fully mobile on his own. However with his concerns, do you know how or where we can look into renting a scooter for the cruise? Thanks in advance for always helping with any questions.

Here is a link for the Disabled Travel here on CruiseCritics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Not only will you find an abundance of discussions about what equipment and where to rent, but your friend will also find wonderful discussions among many similar travelers, and what great times they've had, how they keep coming back for more cruises, and how they deal with problems, or prepare in advance...

GeezerCouple

First and foremost I hope this person is able to overcome their worry about "slowing | everyone down. If he rents a scooter he will have everyone trying to keep up with him :) My hubby has to use one for our upcoming cruise due to significant change in his mobility and I was able to convince him by reminding him he could be in a bar with a cold beer long before us if he so wished...tee hee !! It worked !!

Special Needs at Sea will have the scooter ready in the room ..you will need to have an accessible cabin as the scooters will not fit through other cabin doors.

Wishing you all the very best of holidays and that this gentleman choses to go and as you say, relax and just take his time and enjoy.

Cheers

The same company also rents oxygen concentraters if you friend will need one on ship. On our last cruise one of my favorite shipmates used both a scooter and PAC, and did fine. We were able to find a limited mobility tour, and those who wanted to walk about a bit could do so.

She had a blast, and so did I using my quad cane for short distances and wheelchair we rented through them for the rest. Your friend will need an Rx if he needs O2. The Doctor's Office can fax it over to the Special Needs at Sea folks and they do all the rest. :)

About the only time the scooter would be an issue would be if the ship needs to tender, anchoring a bit out from port, rather than tying onto a cruise dock. Where are you planning to go?

Edited by kcfoxy

Special Needs at Sea will have the scooter ready in the room ..you will need to have an accessible cabin as the scooters will not fit through other cabin doors.

Not always true about needing an accessible cabin. You can get scooters from Special Needs at Sea that are less than 21" wide so they will fit in a normal cabin doorway. You just need to learn how to turn in the hallway and drive straight into the door. Not an issue, I did it about 6 times a day on a 7 day cruise.

What you do have to watch is that some decks have narrow walkways due to pillars. I learned the hard way by klunking into service carts!

i hope your friend changes his mind. As another scooter needer i understand what your friend is feeling. It's hard thinking you can be a burden. The more someone fusses over me the worse I feel. Explain to your friend how much you would like to have them join you on this cruise and a scooter will make that possible. I let anyone I am with know that I am happy enough sitting things out that I can't participate in, i take my iPad and read. I would hurt if I felt I stopped them from doing something they enjoy. Family and friends now realize this and do their thing. I have everything I need on the ship so they can go on some excursions without me and we can all be happy. Good Luck.