Explore on own or excursion at port stops : OPINION

wilbekah

Am new to cruising so thought I'd ask opinions of all you experienced cruisers.

Of these 4 ports Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozomel - which ports should I book an excursion and which have enough things to do/see on my own just

walking around or pedicab or taxi?

I know can always get off at port and take a look around and then stay on the ship for rest of time in port but thought would be nice to see some sites. Interests of party wlll be with include mayan ruins and swimming with dolphins so best ports of four to do those appreciated also.

Thanks

In Belize I would definitely suggest a tour. Other than shopping at the enclosed port there isn't a lot you can DIY. Cave tubing, ziplining, ATVS or snorkeling are good options there.

Roatan also doesn't have a lot outside the enclosed port area. But you can easily to a beach break or snorkeling excursion.

Cozumel is a very well established port and you can walk around the city and have lunch or shop. If you want to do ruins you can take an excursion from there. There are tons of excursion options in Cozumel from dolphin swims, all inclusive beach resorts, snorkeling and just about anything else you can think of.

If you look on the message board for each port you can get more ideas. Have fun!

First, the mind set for all these ports is water/beach. If you're not looking for a beach or beach activity, then consider the following (similar to what TXGal AJ says):

Belize: cave tubing; Maya ruins (Altun HA-nearest to port/ Xunantunich-long day bus ride/ Lamanai-long day boat and jep/van ride-furthest from port, least excavated). Most people look for snorkeling beach break type excursions--all on small isles called Cays none near port.

Cozumel: hire a driver for the day to tour the island, including the small set of ruins there and the beach bars along the east ocean side) of the island; shopping in downtown plaza. Otherwise, most beaches have both AI and pay-as -you-go options for food and drink and water toys.

Roatan: island tour with private vendor (Victor Bodden or Rony Tours, for example); ship excursion to Gumbalinda Park-walking, animals etc.. Otherwise, West Bay or West End for beaches and better snorkeling opportunities. Some private resorts like Little French Key are good palces to go too.

Costa Maya: Mayan Ruins through Native Choice. Otherwise, it's beach day at one of the places along the malecon a short, cheap taxi ride away. Or at one of the AI resorts, Almaplena or Maya Chan which are a little further south of the malecon. Ships have various beach related activities like 4 wheeler tours along the beach or power snorkeling up at a beach to the north of the port.

That's kind of the snap shot of basic things to do in each port. It's your cruise/your vacay, pick what best suits your interests or desires.