Massage on board?

SEVERELY OVERPRICED and there is a MAJOR hard sell for the products.

totally NOT worth the money. for instance, I can get a couples massage at home for under $100, with no hard sell. on board it will cost you $250 and you must endure a good 10-15 minutes of them trying to tell you you will die without such and such a product to 'detoxify' your body.

and i get better technique at home.

My husband and I do a couples massage every cruise. Yes, it's definitely pricey, but worth it for us. It's one of our splurges each trip. We usually book on the first full sea day, and definitely helps melt off the stresses from home and feel more in 'vacation mode'. Enjoy!

My DH and I are booked for a cruise next February...356 days, but who's counting :)

I love surprising him with things and I was thinking about booking a couple's massage for us. Has anyone ever done them and if so, how was it? Is it worth the money?

My DH and I had one on the Oasis. It was our 25th. It was wonderful. It was pricey. For us, it was worth it. Before the massage you will each fill out a form. At the bottom write in that you are not interested in purchasing any products. That way, there will be no sales pitch at the end. We have never had that happen to us but I read where others have.

I think its is a great surprise. :D I love doing things like that. On our next, I upgraded our cabin and am booking DH a fishing trip.

We've found as a couple that it really is a better massage and value to do the massage or treatments you want individually.

Not that anything in the spas on a cruise ship is a value.

However with the couples massage they kind of skimp your individual time to do the "couples" thing. We did it once and felt pretty much that way and we even gave it another shot and came up the same.

Just "our" opinion as a couple.

We booked a couples massage on our first cruise in advance and paid the shot. The next cruise we waited until they ran specials on the ship. There is a pretty good savings with waiting. We did not do a message on the last cruise as we were pretty busy with 5 ports in 7 days. The couples massage may or may not be the best massage you have ever had but then again I doubt you have ever had a massage in the same room as your best friend? We will do it again on our next cruise.

I can't comment to the couple's massage but I normally get an individual massage. I nicely tell the masseuse up front I will not buy any products and won't appreciate any attempt to sell me anything. They have always understood that any extra tip takes this into consideration.

After 2 "hard sell" experiences onboard, we have started doing our massages before we board the ship. Get a better massage for a lot less money. I wish I could enjoy a massage onboard but the prices have gotten out of hand and I was so angry at the one therapist who literally said to me when I refused to buy the toxin remover she was suggesting..."I thought you said you wanted to take care of yourself I guess you don't!" The product btw was $600!

The prices are expensive for sure. They had a 10, 20, 30% discount program if you booked 1, 2, or 3 things at the same time on board the first day. After that, they ran several daily specials that were usually 129$ for 50 minutes. I booked at 75min massage on board the first day and dealt with the 5 minute sales pitch just fine.

As a note - in Falmouth there is a 1$/1 min massage chair place. I spent a heavenly 10 minutes there 2 days after my onboard massage. It was a really great chair massage. I considered doing a 15minute one, but I didn't really need to! If you are stopping in Falmouth - definitely consider that!

Have thought of this many times. But, can not believe either would relax and have private time as we would be concerned of the other is relaxing and doing okay. The first time one person said a single word to the masseuse to press hard, or lighter,etc - the other would be concerned and not relax.

After 30+ years, that is my take.

(separate issues from the hard sell and high cost onboard)

The prices are expensive for sure. They had a 10, 20, 30% discount program if you booked 1, 2, or 3 things at the same time on board the first day. After that, they ran several daily specials that were usually 129$ for 50 minutes. I booked at 75min massage on board the first day and dealt with the 5 minute sales pitch just fine.

As a note - in Falmouth there is a 1$/1 min massage chair place. I spent a heavenly 10 minutes there 2 days after my onboard massage. It was a really great chair massage. I considered doing a 15minute one, but I didn't really need to! If you are stopping in Falmouth - definitely consider that!

Do you remember where in Falmouth it was?

It is very nice indeed. A real treat, but in my opinion not worth the money. It depends what you compare it to though. We go for a couples massage on land for a third of the price.

I have also noticed, probably in the last few years, that the hard sell has become more aggressive and I now avoid the spa because of it. I'm on holiday for a relaxing break. Not to feel pressurised into paying for something I don't need or want. They don't like to hear the word No :D

Do you remember where in Falmouth it was?

Right not the pier - almost direct center of the shopping area and one of the closest to the boat. It's the stand with the white flowy curtains! I stopped in when we first arrived and asked about prices and then got my massage at the end of our tour/shopping around 2pm.

Right not the pier - almost direct center of the shopping area and one of the closest to the boat. It's the stand with the white flowy curtains! I stopped in when we first arrived and asked about prices and then got my massage at the end of our tour/shopping around 2pm.

Great. Thanks. I hate paying the crazy amount on the boats since I can get a Groupon massage for $35+tip