Normady Tour

lzag

He must have changed his operation. That's too bad. Hopefully you will find a wonderful excursion. The whole Normandy experience was something I'll never forget.

I was hoping to go with him......My issue is I want to do a Canadian Sector tour..where others in the Roll Call want to do the USA sectors! Oh well!

If you go onto tridadvisor and search under normandy..you will find plenty of highly rated tour companies.

I don't know if you would be interested, but my husband and I rented a car right from the port and drove ourselves to the Normandy Beaches. We had a great time.

I thought of doing that...but to get all the knowledge and history I think a guide would be most beneficial

We used Overlord tours with a group of 8 from our roll call. Fabulous tour.
We also used Overlord tours and they were great. However, would strongly recommend holding the number of people to 6 or 7 max. 8 people means 3 in the way back, 3 in the back, and 2 in the front with the driver probably using a 5 speed stick shift. Anybody average size or bigger, it gets awfully close up there.

We've done enough private tours in Europe that we will never be in one of those mini-vans with 8 passengers again. Any tour I organize, I cut off with 6 maybe 7 people. Costs a little more per person but a bit of comfort is worth something as well.

Tim

Flames9,

If you haven't joined the Roll Call please do so. On our Infinity cruise last year there were enough Brits who joined forces with a local tour operator to get a trip to Sword Beach and the British cemetery in addition to other sites of interest.

Flames9,

If you haven't joined the Roll Call please do so. On our Infinity cruise last year there were enough Brits who joined forces with a local tour operator to get a trip to Sword Beach and the British cemetery in addition to other sites of interest.

I am on the roll call.....Started a few tours.....Not my first rodeo (just kidding,lol) Thus far everyone wants to do the USA sectors. I have been looking at just going as 2(my wife and I) but they are all around 500 Euros..$$$$. Yes we don't cruise until August, so lots of time, but would be nice to just get it all settled and over with.

And I agree with others about keeping the groups between 6-7....the vans tend to be smaller...even label-West and I think Overlord too mentioned in emails to me, that 6 is a very good # for comfort wise. The search continues

You can ask Overlord if they have anything going to the Canadian Sectors on the day needed. They are great about helping with things like that.

I will ask...but I don't want to do a big bus tour...I have a Overlord currently booked...if I have to do a Band of Brothers tour..that is fine too.....Still plenty of time until August!

Get in touch with the local tourist office. They will have information about local guides.

The road from Le Havre - once out of the town - is an autoroute so you have to pay tolls.

It can be very busy. Fast route though. Once in Caen be very carefull with the speed limits. The gendarmes are hot stuff. Mind you, cameras are marked with a big sign just before you get to them. You will know because everyone slows down then speeds up again. Those Tom Toms with radar alerts are banned in France. Mind with the signs you would have to be blind!

We drove around the landing beaches last year when we left Avranches to go to the ferry at Ouistereim. The coastal road is what I would call a country lane!

Much easier if you manage to find a tour than drive. You will be able to look out of the window at the vache Normande.

We also used Overlord tours and they were great. However, would strongly recommend holding the number of people to 6 or 7 max. 8 people means 3 in the way back, 3 in the back, and 2 in the front with the driver probably using a 5 speed stick shift. Anybody average size or bigger, it gets awfully close up there.

We've done enough private tours in Europe that we will never be in one of those mini-vans with 8 passengers again. Any tour I organize, I cut off with 6 maybe 7 people. Costs a little more per person but a bit of comfort is worth something as well.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Totally agree with you. If two people have to sit up front they will be VERY uncomfortable even if they are skinny!

Best to cut all those French Mercedes vans off at no more than 7 unless you want to be squashed. Not worth the savings, a minor factor considering the cost of the vacation.

I highly recommend Jacques Perreau if you can get him. Usually he is booked at least a year in advance. He has a very personal connection to the war as he was wounded by shrapnel as a young boy living in Caen and almost died. Like others on this board, I thought Normandy was one of the best tours ever.

Anne