best price

vacationpam

If you're looking into getting a price reduction before final payment, any category will work. If you're looking for price reductions after final payment, only ES (Early Saver) allows that but be forewarned, there are several restrictions that come with ES (namely no name changes, cancel cruise and lose $50 and rest of deposit is kept by Carnival for a future cruise within 2 years).

Edited by Out to sea!

I've found, after years of buying Carnival, that the best rate usually comes into play about 4 - 8 weeks before sailing. If the rooms aren't filling fast enough they'll drop the price as the sail date approaches.

Some sailings they don't/won't fill all the cabins and you can get an extreme price cut by waiting till the last week or two. Downsides are: the less desirable rooms are the last to book, the ship may fill quick and you'd be out that sail date and/or you may not get a category that you like.

If you're close to a port and able to travel on a moments notice, you can buddy up to one of the carnival reps and let them know you're available. This can be an unbelievable deal but I think the ship must have it's passenger manifest ready at least 3 days before sail date. And, you get what you get.

When a cruise is imminent, I check rates daily as well as number of cabins still available by doing a mock booking. Once I think the rate is as low as it might go and there's fewer cabins available, I book.

The other option is to book ES (early saver) and hope to get a On-Board-Credit if the price drops. But, now you're regularly checking prices again and if you forget or don't file for the credit you're out the credit.

GL!

Edit: Also, Spring Break and holiday sailings almost always sell out early. Those, book early.

Edited by oomwizard

Payment in full is usually 75 days prior to sail date. Some times Carnival will run a sail that allow for payment 30 days before. I don't know how well that worked out for them as I was told by an employee there was a high cancellation rate for that promotion as well as for the $50 deposit.