Cruise cancellation questions

Sundagger

I am in a bit of a quandary. I had made a booking on a May 9 Alaskan cruise while on a Caribbean cruise last October. I had obtained the Explore 4 package for a Signature suite at a very fair price. I put $200 down for my companion and myself.

Today was the final payment date. Simultaneously, my companion found out she couldn't go on the cruise. I tried to cancel via Chat, but that can't be done.

Questions: 1) since I didn't make the final payment, is my booking automatically cancelled? I assume that my deposit is forfeited.

2) It may be too late, but can I cancel just my companion and go alone?

3) Would I lose the Explore 4 package if I cancelled my companion and went by myself?

Any other considerations?

Log on to the HAL site and go to My Account > My Reservations to see. My guess is that the reservation is still intact, and that you can cancel your companion today and lose only the $100 deposit for him/her. Your price will increase by whatever "single supplement" is being charged for your cabin ... which could be 100% :(

This presumes that you didn't buy the Cancellation Protection Plan, which gives you the right to "cancel for any reason" right up to 3 days (I think) before the cruise and lose just 20% of anything you've paid to HAL, plus the premium cost. However, the premium probably cost more than your $100 pp deposit, and in this case you were better off not buying it. :)

Call HAL this morning after 07:00 Pacific time!!

Edited by jtl513

OP, did you call? If so, what happened?

Busy, busy day. I rarely use the phone due to a hearing handicap. I have captioned phones, but I wanted a hard copy of this transaction.

I had emailed HAL to cancel the reservation. This morning, my companion was able to reach an accommodation with her employer to allow her to go on the cruise. So I quickly emailed HAL to uncancel the cancellation. Then I made my final payment. As of now, my credit card has been billed and my booking still shows up on the HAL site. So, due to bureaucratic inertia, I may have saved this excellent deal I had made for this cruise. I haven't had a response to either of my emails. I have my fingers crossed.