Cancelling a cruise - with insurance

cruizinwithkids

I didn't leave. I didn't think there would be this much interest in the thread.

My friend is currently employed. His job is really terrible and while I understand the comments about a decent employer would allow him the time off, regardless the employer has to be better than the one he has.

I agree that he would probably be able to get the time off if he asked but I actually think he would be too timid to ask. He allows himself to get walked all over by people.

The new company seems really great and I think the job would be great. They do state their vacation policy on their website and it includes no time to be taken during the first 6 months. Maybe this specifically means no PAID time. So that adds an additional cost to the cruise - a week's pay.

The cruise on which we are booked is May 10. We just past final payment a couple of days ago. He had his interview on final payment day, I think. His plan had been to suspend the job search once we hit final payment. He specifically bought this insurance for the non-covered event cancellation portion. I thought it was a waste of money given the price compared to other plans AND the potential payout.

Some of us missed the part that he has STARTED HIS NEW JOB.

Getting time off before the start date, or at least approved before starting is often not difficult, but once you have started... well, different story.

And, if he already hates the job... well...may not last anyways. And, forcing a vacation will only make it worse.

Sorry.

Some of us missed the part that he has STARTED HIS NEW JOB.

Getting time off before the start date, or at least approved before starting is often not difficult, but once you have started... well, different story.

And, if he already hates the job... well...may not last anyways. And, forcing a vacation will only make it worse.

Sorry.

He hasn't started the new job, he's just interviewed. (That's how I saw it).

He hasn't started the new job, he's just interviewed. (That's how I saw it).

Yes, my bad. I should have read it COMPLETELY. I just read the following and again made a mistake. Sorry.

My friend is currently employed. His job is really terrible.....

I will go back to my earlier statement. After hiring hundreds of people.. maybe a thousand, I am amazed at how many people already have a family event scheduled and need either a delayed start date, or a week off shortly after starting.

In just about every case, I said yes and just dealt with it.

If known up front, most good employers will either allow a delayed start date or an early vacation - paid or not. Esp if they understand it is a paid vacation.

I negotiated a start date at one job four weeks later so I could spend Christmas off and give my employer two weeks notice.

I did have a problem once - back in the fall of 2011 I hired on with a large company - I let my hiring manager know that I had a cruise planned and booked in June of 12 - he said OK at the time of hire - but when the vacation schedule came out - he would not approve my time off - seems that he also put out the work schedule and I was on call that week - his policy was the schedule was set in stone and unless I could get someone else to agree to cover my call I could not take the time off. Long story short, I got someone to agree to cover - and then quit the job just after the cruise. There were several other reasons for leaving - but that stunt was at the top. So yes I do understand the position of the OP

If known up front, most good employers will either allow a delayed start date or an early vacation - paid or not. Esp if they understand it is a paid vacation.

I negotiated a start date at one job four weeks later so I could spend Christmas off and give my employer two weeks notice.

I did have a problem once - back in the fall of 2011 I hired on with a large company - I let my hiring manager know that I had a cruise planned and booked in June of 12 - he said OK at the time of hire - but when the vacation schedule came out - he would not approve my time off - seems that he also put out the work schedule and I was on call that week - his policy was the schedule was set in stone and unless I could get someone else to agree to cover my call I could not take the time off. Long story short, I got someone to agree to cover - and then quit the job just after the cruise. There were several other reasons for leaving - but that stunt was at the top. So yes I do understand the position of the OP

I would have given the expected 2 week notice with my last day coinciding with the day I was to leave for vacation.... Let them be responsible for covering your duties as they are supposed to anyway... So no harm no foul

You are a better person than me lol

Good for you though for quitting!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have given the expected 2 week notice with my last day coinciding with the day I was to leave for vacation.... Let them be responsible for covering your duties as they are supposed to anyway... So no harm no foul

You are a better person than me lol

Good for you though for quitting!!!!!...

By waiting, he left himself the option of returning. And in some cases, was still on medical plan. Then, he sort of stuck it to the jerk boss who thought he now had a regular employee back on the job only to find out he was leaving. Surprise! Go stick that schedule up your.....

By waiting, he left himself the option of returning. And in some cases, was still on medical plan. Then, he sort of stuck it to the jerk boss who thought he now had a regular employee back on the job only to find out he was leaving. Surprise! Go stick that schedule up your.....

Excellent point.

• 4 weeks later...
That assumes that cruisers actually read the policy they bought

I know I read mine and it says exactly what you posted.

That works for a COVERED event-- if it's not, they may not offer this. I guess it depends on the specifics of the plan but I'd be surprised if it worked this way