Alaska Aug 2016

jbiz

So i am looking at booking my first Alaska cruise for the end of the 2016 summer when the kids are off school and camp.

there are 2 sailings virtually the same.. just the opposite direction.. and one is much higher than the other.. same class of ship (jewel vs pearl).. granted i know prices fluctuate.. and i have been on the Jewel and the Gem (not the pearl)..

but am i missing something here? having never done alaska is the opposite direction more "desirable" or the Pearl a better ship for some reason..

sailings are:

Pearl:

08/28/16: Seattle, Wa

(Depart 4:00pm)

08/29: At Sea

08/30: Juneau, Ak

(2:00pm - 10:00pm)

08/31: Skagway, Ak

(7:00am - 8:15pm)

09/01: Cruise Glacier Bay, Ak

09/02: Ketchikan, Ak

(6:00am - 1:30pm)

09/03: Victoria, Bc, Canada

(6:00pm - 11:59pm)

09/04: Seattle, Wa

(Arrive 8:00am)

Jewel:

08/27: Seattle, Wa

(Depart 4:00pm)

08/28: At Sea

08/29: Ketchikan, Ak

(7:00am - 3:00pm)

08/30: Cruise Sawyer Glacier, At Sea

08/30: Juneau, Ak

(7:00am - 1:30pm)

08/31: Skagway, Ak

(7:00am - 5:30pm)

09/02: At Sea

09/02: Victoria, Bc, Canada

(2:30pm - 9:30pm)

09/03: Seattle, Wa

(Arrive 8:00am)

both are Haven category H4 (for me, my wife, 9 and 11 yr old), and jewel is just over 9K and the Pearl is about $2,100 more..

what am I missing here?

Edited by jbiz

Two things:

The Glacier Bay sailing of the Pearl seems to be the more popular itinerary, especially for first time cruisers. Having done both, I would say that I’d prefer Glacier Bay over Sawyer, but not by much.

Secondly, the Pearl departs on a Sunday which permits flying in on a Saturday for the out-of-towners and you theoretically could use one less vacation day.

Thus, the Pearl cruise is more popular and thusly, more expensive.

Edited by Seanote

Two things:

The Glacier Bay sailing of the Pearl seems to be the more popular itinerary, especially for first time cruisers. Having done both, I would say that I’d prefer Glacier Bay over Sawyer, but not by much.

Secondly, the Pearl departs on a Sunday which permits flying in on a Saturday for the out-of-towners and you theoretically could use one less vacation day.

Thus, the Pearl cruise is more popular and thusly, more expensive.

Interesting (and thanks).. i didn't even notice that difference until you pointed it out!!

assuming the Pearl not "really" worth the 25% premium.. is there a particular side of the ship that one should book when doing alaska?

Interesting (and thanks).. i didn't even notice that difference until you pointed it out!!

assuming the Pearl not "really" worth the 25% premium.. is there a particular side of the ship that one should book when doing alaska?

We are currently booked on the Pearl - Alaska 2016. I just started doing some research and I have read the that the PORT SIDE is the best side for Glacier Bay sailing.

The Glacier Bay is the highlight of Alaska according to a lot people (in CC and Tripadvisor) so that's what we pick.

I believe that one factor which affects the price is that there is a charge for entering Glacier Bay. It wouldn't account for the price difference you note, but it's always been my understanding that the Pearl trip is about $100-200 more expensive due to the fees.

Not sure whether that is the case, but it is what I have read here.

what about Sawyer Glacier? did you come across any recommendations there?

The ship traverses up and back down a fjord -- only one way in or out. Consequently, it makes no difference which side of the ship you're on.

Here's a peek at Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier in 12 Minutes. It's about 4 or 5 hours of time lapse...

Sorry for the Benny Hill - turn down your volume.

[YOUTUBE]7OBNlm7FeoM[/YOUTUBE]

The ship traverses up and back down a fjord -- only one way in or out. Consequently, it makes no difference which side of the ship you're on.

Here's a peek at Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier in 12 Minutes. It's about 4 or 5 hours of time lapse...

Sorry for the Benny Hill - turn down your volume.

that was great.. thanks for that!

also, as far as pearl vs jewel goes.. are there any differences?

i have been on jewel and gem, and other than one of them having the upstairs lounge and the other not.. i think they are pretty much the same..

what about differences on the Pearl?

also, as far as pearl vs jewel goes.. are there any differences?

i have been on jewel and gem, and other than one of them having the upstairs lounge and the other not.. i think they are pretty much the same..

what about differences on the Pearl?

Virtually identical, with some minor differences. The Pearl has a small bowling alley, and the nightclub is different. Pearl has no pool deck waterslides.

We live near Seattle and so have cruised to alaska 4 times. twice on the Jewel, twice on the Pearl.

We book very close to sailing -- last year, 6 days before. We were on the Jewel. But, I watch prices very, very closely for a month or two. Prices really, really fluctuate during that time period. One year we booked on the Pearl because that ship's price was quite a bit lower than the Jewel.

Last summer. for most of the month before sailing The Pearl was lower in price. Then as it got about two weeks out, it switched. The Pearl price went up, and the Jewel price went down. We ended up on the Jewel, as it had the best price at 6 days out.

We live near Seattle and so have cruised to alaska 4 times. twice on the Jewel, twice on the Pearl.

We book very close to sailing -- last year, 6 days before. We were on the Jewel. But, I watch prices very, very closely for a month or two. Prices really, really fluctuate during that time period. One year we booked on the Pearl because that ship's price was quite a bit lower than the Jewel.

Last summer. for most of the month before sailing The Pearl was lower in price. Then as it got about two weeks out, it switched. The Pearl price went up, and the Jewel price went down. We ended up on the Jewel, as it had the best price at 6 days out.

do prices in the Haven fluctuate that much as well? problem (that i have seen) is usually around that time (1-3 weeks out), the 2BR haven are either booked or people have been upgraded to those 2BR cabins and then not available either..