Thanks for the tip - Canadian vs US dollars

Tesser26

I booked in Canadian, NCL converts it to US based on the exchange rate that was used at the time of booking. But what do I see charged on my credit card? That is where I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wasn't charged a credit card fee...just the total amount being billed from NCL in Canadian dollars.

Hi, This is great information. We recently came back from a trip and the exchange rate was brutal on our credit card bill.

I am confused though by how this works. I am about to book a trip - so I tell my PCC that I want to book in Canadian $. I have a FCC to use so I don't need to worry about the deposit but do want to lock in the better exchange rate. So when the time come for final payment - this is where I am confused.

I booked in Canadian, NCL converts it to US based on the exchange rate that was used at the time of booking. But what do I see charged on my credit card? That is where I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jai

I booked in CDN, and it was CDN funds charged to my credit card. The credit card exchange right now is about 1.28, so 1.16 is great!!! I was able to purchase on board credit in CDN funds as well. I'd rather buy them now than purchase something on my credit card and see the 1.28 exchange rate.

This was great advice. Thanks! Booked all our excursions and have DSC added to our invoice for final payment. Thinking I might add some OBC to cover my bar bill. DH doesn't drink, and I'll only have about one drink a day. Maybe two. :)

I booked in CDN, and it was CDN funds charged to my credit card. The credit card exchange right now is about 1.28, so 1.16 is great!!! I was able to purchase on board credit in CDN funds as well. I'd rather buy them now than purchase something on my credit card and see the 1.28 exchange rate.

Thanks so much! I understand now how it works - it just wasn't making sense to me. Time to finish up my research and get our next trip booked :)

So I have booked two cruises with NCL because of the great exchange and the free UDP and 3rd and 4th person free. My question is how can you tell if your price went down if your totals are in american? Do you have to keep track of what it was in US at the time of booking? Also will they take into consideration the rate of exchange at the time of booking and therefore it may actually not be cheaper? Is what I am asking make sense?

So I have booked two cruises with NCL because of the great exchange and the free UDP and 3rd and 4th person free. My question is how can you tell if your price went down if your totals are in american? Do you have to keep track of what it was in US at the time of booking? Also will they take into consideration the rate of exchange at the time of booking and therefore it may actually not be cheaper? Is what I am asking make sense?

The exchange rate that you have booked stays with you... Just keep track of what you booked at in American

If I already booked early in Feb in Canadian dollars with my TA, how do I know what exchange rate they used at the time?

The easiest way I could find was as follows:

• Proceed to make a fake purchase (add to your cart but do not complete the check out) for a $100 item such as a spa certificate.
  • The initial price displayed is in USD.
  • Once you locate the $100 item, click on it for more info.
  • When the page changes to allow you to add the item to your cart the CAD price will be displayed.
  • You can now do some simple math to see the exchange rate you have locked in for the cruise.
  • Remember the exchange rate applies to your cruise and any pre cruise purchases you make on NCL.com. Once on board you will be billed for all purchases/charges in USD so it is wise to pay for as much as you can in advance.

For example, I have 2 reservation locked in and when I do the above ^^^ the $100 USD item shows me on the second page that if I made the purchase would cost me $111 CAD. That soon let me know that on that day I booked, NCL valued the CAD at $.89 USD. This for me was a great rate as on that day our dollar was only trading at $.7986 USD.

Also do not forget that your cc will be charged in CAD as well. Therefore no extra gouging by the banks. If the purchase is billed in USD you will get a lousy exchange rate and the additional charge for processing an international transaction. NO THANK YOU!

I just spoke with my Pre Cruise Consultant, he was Unwilling or unable to accommodate canadian funds without a full cancelation just to see if it would save me a few dollars

He should've automatically booked you in CDN if you're from Canada!!

He should've automatically booked you in CDN if you're from Canada!!

Unfortunately I booked online, the PCC seemed very annoyed to even return my call, the whole phone call was less than 2 minutes, no offer to assist in any other way

Thank you all very much for this thread and sharing the information that the NCL exchange rate had dropped again.

I had originally booked a cruise on Jan 31 and was more than pleased to have received the exchange rate of $1.1628, given that the actual spread was (and still is) significantly higher than that.

After reading this thread, I gave NCL a call and asked them to reprice (and then rebook) my cruise at the current rate, and ended up saving an additional $200 over what was already a great exchange rate.

Very grateful to all of you.

The easiest way I could find was as follows:

Thank you for your help!!!

Wow! When I do that 100 OBC is 100$ Canadian. And I also paid for the service charges in Canadian and my CC got charged 168 CAD. Nice!

...unless I am missing something, but if my CC got charged that I guess that has to be the exchange rate :eek:

Thank you all very much for this thread and sharing the information that the NCL exchange rate had dropped again.

I had originally booked a cruise on Jan 31 and was more than pleased to have received the exchange rate of $1.1628, given that the actual spread was (and still is) significantly higher than that.

After reading this thread, I gave NCL a call and asked them to reprice (and then rebook) my cruise at the current rate, and ended up saving an additional $200 over what was already a great exchange rate.

Very grateful to all of you.

Great thread :). May I ask what your exchange rate is now? I may call and reprise tomorrow. Thanks in advance.