Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

Once again it seems like you understand what's going on. So make an effort to get up like everyone else and get a chair. On some extremely busy cruises I've slept in the chair I want over night. You'll make fun of me but you're the one without the chair.

What would you suggest I do if I spend much of my cruise with my three children and simply want fifteen quiet minutes with my book in a comfortable spot? While you are eating or showering, I will sit on your empty chair. :) If everyone is considerate, everyone wins.

I've posted this for years:

The solution to "chair hogging" is to move the crap people piled on a chair. (you can ALWAYS tell who's actually using the chairs and who's "saving" them) It doesn't mean that much to them or they wouldn't leave it lying around. Second to that, my kids are in the pool and I'm going to watch them. I've never had anyone say a single word to me "if" they ever even came back. If they ever do, I'll stand up and start waving and screaming at the nearest Carnival employee that someone is harassing me and I need security!!

ps...thanks to that one person who left the orange. It was tasty! The one flip flop in one lounger, the other flip flop in the next lounger, the towel in the next one and the magazine in the next one was kind of lame, though.

I totally agree. Throw all the chair hogs stuff In the trash or just simply move it

I PRAY FOR THE DAY a inconsiderate chair hog asks or starts a problem cause their stuff was moved 😆😆

I have not yet sailed on Carnival. Do they have Life Guards at the pools? As a parent myself, if I were actually watching my kids, it wouldn't be all the way in a chair on the deck. My butt would be sitting close enough to fish said kid/s out, or make changes in their behavior in an instant. That would not be in a chair reading a book with my head phones in getting a tan. Just saying! :eek:

I totally agree. Throw all the chair hogs stuff In the trash or just simply move it

I PRAY FOR THE DAY a inconsiderate chair hog asks or starts a problem cause their stuff was moved 😆😆

And what if it's a psycho?

I have not yet sailed on Carnival. Do they have Life Guards at the pools? As a parent myself, if I were actually watching my kids, it wouldn't be all the way in a chair on the deck. My butt would be sitting close enough to fish said kid/s out, or make changes in their behavior in an instant. That would not be in a chair reading a book with my head phones in getting a tan. Just saying! :eek:

And what if someone is cruising without kids?

It might help actually if Carnival posted that with signs or announcements on the lido deck

Went on he breeze twice this past year, they did have signs up both trips. We also saw someone marking the chairs and removing items. For me if I have my little one with me, I am not using a chair, I am sitting with my feet in the pool watching her or in their with her. I sit my stuff near the pool or if lucky on the bench area that was part of the pool on the Breeze. When I don't have the kids i only keep the chair until I am done, if I want lunch I eat in the chair if that is what is the plan. If I want to go back to the room, see a show, etc I remove my items and give the chair to someone who is looking.

Edited by cruisecraze96

They don't have lifeguards. But there are deck chairs right around the edge of the pool. If your child can swim, there's nothing wrong with sitting on a chair. You may want to be close by, so it's nice when there are chairs available.

In my case, I was talking about reading my book for a short time while my husband had kid duty. I can't sit in a deck chair all day just so I can have one available for the short time when I'm kid-free. On every other cruise I've been on, I've been able to find a chair. On my last cruise, the chair hogging was so bad that I had to move towels to sit.

And what if someone is cruising without kids?

Then I guess like what others have said, if you want to be in the pool all day, be in the pool. Your things don't require a chair. If you want to sit/lie in a chair all day, be in the chair.

On another note regarding the chairs, we sailed with Princess last year and the play off games were being shown on the big screen. Not an empty chair to be found. Walked around and around. Finally found one chair that you could barely see the screen. My DH and I shared it. There were plenty of chairs with towels saving them, with no occupants. Just goes to show you there are chair hogs across the lines.

Then I guess like what others have said, if you want to be in the pool all day, be in the pool. Your things don't require a chair. If you want to sit/lie in a chair all day, be in the chair.

On another note regarding the chairs, we sailed with Princess last year and the play off games were being shown on the big screen. Not an empty chair to be found. Walked around and around. Finally found one chair that you could barely see the screen. My DH and I shared it. There were plenty of chairs with towels saving them, with no occupants. Just goes to show you there are chair hogs across the lines.

And if someone wants to be in the pool for a while and then on a lounge for a while and hen back to the pool etc.

What do they do with their stuff while in the pool.

Maybe the lines need lockers.

As I've said I've never had a problem, but it seems many have.

Wow. This thread saddens and worries me. Our very first cruise is scheduled for May and I have been researching CC to make sure we are prepared and aren't naïve going into our first experience. Have to say it shocks me that people even attempt to chair hog (and by that I mean leaving articles, not their person) for hours before they ever plan to get there and that if we want pool chairs after actually eating together as a family for breakfast in the dining areas our chances of that are non-existent :(.

I'm at least I am thankful now that I know to:

1. Bring the larger white towels instead. Heaven forbid we lose five $22 blue towels....

2. Find our spots super early. So much for sleeping in on vacation.

3. Basically never leave our chairs unattended.

I had no idea where to sit so I put down a few towel animals.

Olympus%20016_zps3cegmdqk.jpg

Olympus%20017_zps7gmhezbb.jpg

Santaa ~ this is a cute post! My 10 year old especially would love to see this! Does the crew eventually take them away or can you keep them as chair mascots through the day?

I think this problem is invented by people that want to sleep past noon and expect to go to Lido deck and find a chair by the pool.

Advice to those inventing this "chair hog" phenomenon. Get up at a decent hour and you'll get a chair.

The real problem are the "chair bullies" that get up past noon, wander to Lido, and try to bulky people into giving up their poolside loungers. Have you no shame?

I think this problem is invented by people that want to sleep past noon and expect to go to Lido deck and find a chair by the pool.

Advice to those inventing this "chair hog" phenomenon. Get up at a decent hour and you'll get a chair.

The real problem are the "chair bullies" that get up past noon, wander to Lido, and try to bulky people into giving up their poolside loungers. Have you no shame?

Are you not reading any posts? I have never slept past noon on a cruise. I could not get a lounger in the lido sunshine at 8 a.m. on my last cruise because they were all being saved. When I am looking for a lounger (NOT POOLSIDE) at noon, it's because I was parenting my children NOT sleeping in.

Definitely. My parents have told me that the worst chair hogging they've seen has been on Princess. It's not just a Carnival problem. And no one should assume the chair hogging will be bad on their cruise, because it isn't always. I just want everyone who does this on any cruise to stop.

I've posted this for years:

The solution to "chair hogging" is to move the crap people piled on a chair. (you can ALWAYS tell who's actually using the chairs and who's "saving" them) It doesn't mean that much to them or they wouldn't leave it lying around. Second to that, my kids are in the pool and I'm going to watch them. I've never had anyone say a single word to me "if" they ever even came back. If they ever do, I'll stand up and start waving and screaming at the nearest Carnival employee that someone is harassing me and I need security!!

ps...thanks to that one person who left the orange. It was tasty! The one flip flop in one lounger, the other flip flop in the next lounger, the towel in the next one and the magazine in the next one was kind of lame, though.

This is great!! Good for you. You just made my day. Chair hogs are nothing more then rude people who think the world revolves around them. NOT!!

I agree!

Are you not reading any posts? I have never slept past noon on a cruise. I could not get a lounger in the lido sunshine at 8 a.m. on my last cruise because they were all being saved. When I am looking for a lounger (NOT POOLSIDE) at noon, it's because I was parenting my children NOT sleeping in.

Just finding this hard to believe. Just got off the Sunshine and there were plenty of chairs at 8am.

What we did see were a lot of chair bullies at noon

Edited by LuckyZ

You have it completely wrong. The problem exists because of people who wake up at 6 AM and go put their stuff on a chair then go back to sleep until noon! Those who get up early are still screwed from a chair by those who are sleeping in and enjoying their sea day brunch.

I agree!

I just got off the pride Jan 3. I do not need a chair. I don't sit long enough to need one. I was in the gym at 6 everyday of the cruise. Without fail everyday, except last sea day, there were items placed on chairs all around the 2 main pools. I was in line for an omelet at 8:30 behind a lady and her daughter explaining to someone how they had to be up early to save their deck chairs.

I like to sit in the pool myself and witnessed many times chairs with stuff on them and no people for over an hour, easy.

This problem will never go away. No use complaining and people should never touch other people's things, go to an employee if you have an issue!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just finding this hard to believe. Just got off the Sunshine and there were plenty of chairs at 8am.

What we did see were a lot of chair bullies at noon

There were some empty loungers in the shade only, and no one wants shade on a chilly morning. Perhaps you were lucky enough not to cruise with people who reserved eight to ten prime loungers in a row.

For fun, I counted 86 chairs on lido with items and no people at 8 a.m. ... on a day we were going to be in port at 1 p.m. :eek: I tried to count on a sea day, but I got bored at around 100. :D

On Serenity at about 1 p.m., I did not see any chair bullies. I did see people who had clipped towels to chairs in the sun and then moved to beds in the shade.