Review Southern Caribbean Cruise from Puerto Rico Jan 18th -25th on the Valor

Dirkgun

I'm getting ready to read your review again. We're doing this cruise again in September 2015!!! DH was leaning toward an all-inclusive but I think he was ready for another cruise and this was one of the options he mentioned. I gave him my answer right away. :D He only has enough vacation time for the one night pre-cruise but we'll make the best of our time in San Juan. We're thinking about using the same tour you did in Barbados and go to a beach first (loved the looks of the beach you went to...Payne's Bay???) for a couple hours then over to Bathsheba. We pretty much know what we want to see and do but now its just trying to figure out which. The Skyride/Paradise Point are definitely in the plans for St. Thomas this time. We wanted to do that last time but both closed (road widening/building renovation) about 2 weeks before our cruise and didn't open up for about 5 months later.

Don't mean to hijack, but saw a friend here...Buffettfan here- I think we follow & cruise very similar ships. We just sailed Liberty June 14-21, so any questions message me.. I have not yet created a review, but have photos of American Table menus & Fun a Times. we have sailed this itinerary at least 3x now.

I'm getting ready to read your review again. We're doing this cruise again in September 2015!!! DH was leaning toward an all-inclusive but I think he was ready for another cruise and this was one of the options he mentioned. I gave him my answer right away. :D He only has enough vacation time for the one night pre-cruise but we'll make the best of our time in San Juan. We're thinking about using the same tour you did in Barbados and go to a beach first (loved the looks of the beach you went to...Payne's Bay???) for a couple hours then over to Bathsheba. We pretty much know what we want to see and do but now its just trying to figure out which. The Skyride/Paradise Point are definitely in the plans for St. Thomas this time. We wanted to do that last time but both closed (road widening/building renovation) about 2 weeks before our cruise and didn't open up for about 5 months later.

That is awesome.... I know you will have a great time. I wish I had another one booked :(:eek: Yeah if you only have one day precruise just fly in early enough to get the full day. In Barbados definitely Paynes Bay is a great beach. It is also kind of on the way over to Bathsheba. That is a very pretty coast line. You will be very impressed. Definitely excited to read another review from you as well. Have a great time. Any help I can be for contacts etc let me know.

That is awesome.... I know you will have a great time. I wish I had another one booked :(:eek: Yeah if you only have one day precruise just fly in early enough to get the full day. In Barbados definitely Paynes Bay is a great beach. It is also kind of on the way over to Bathsheba. That is a very pretty coast line. You will be very impressed. Definitely excited to read another review from you as well. Have a great time. Any help I can be for contacts etc let me know.

This cruise was kind of a surprise for me too since DH clearly said last year when I hinted about doing this cruise again that he'd like to go to an AI and take at least a year break from cruising because he "didn't want to get burned out". Getting the flight was the hardest part since this is so late. There is a daily flight out of Dulles to San Juan, but it was not available but still appears on Dulles' daily departures/arrivals so it's obviously booked. We ended up booking a flight that leaves Dulles at 5:15AM, has a connection in Charlotte with arrival in San Juan sometime between 11:30 and noon. We'll be leaving the house between 2:30 & 3AM. :eek: It will be worth it though. We're definitely going to go to both forts this time, starting at San Cristobal then head over to El Morro. I definitely want to walk back the scenic route by the water. I'm also hoping to get some pictures of Liberty as it's getting dark when she's all lit up but weather will be a factor. I was going to last time but it ended up pouring rain.

Your pictures of Paynes Bay sold me - just so beautiful, and of course I've been longing to see Bathsheba, even before our last cruise. It's JP's Taxi service that you used, correct? Do they have a website? I also know that there's a bus that has a regular stop in Bathsheba but I'd kind of like to do both. We're definitely going to go with Spencer Ambrose in St. Lucia again. Had such a great day on his tour the last time. We're going to do the Land & Sea version since we did the Jalousie Beach Break the last time. Right now St. Kitts and St. Maarten are "open" but there's so much we want to do so we're trying to decide.

Thanks in advance for your assistance...I may be needing more. :)

This cruise was kind of a surprise for me too since DH clearly said last year when I hinted about doing this cruise again that he'd like to go to an AI and take at least a year break from cruising because he "didn't want to get burned out". Getting the flight was the hardest part since this is so late. There is a daily flight out of Dulles to San Juan, but it was not available but still appears on Dulles' daily departures/arrivals so it's obviously booked. We ended up booking a flight that leaves Dulles at 5:15AM, has a connection in Charlotte with arrival in San Juan sometime between 11:30 and noon. We'll be leaving the house between 2:30 & 3AM. :eek: It will be worth it though. We're definitely going to go to both forts this time, starting at San Cristobal then head over to El Morro. I definitely want to walk back the scenic route by the water. I'm also hoping to get some pictures of Liberty as it's getting dark when she's all lit up but weather will be a factor. I was going to last time but it ended up pouring rain.

Your pictures of Paynes Bay sold me - just so beautiful, and of course I've been longing to see Bathsheba, even before our last cruise. It's JP's Taxi service that you used, correct? Do they have a website? I also know that there's a bus that has a regular stop in Bathsheba but I'd kind of like to do both. We're definitely going to go with Spencer Ambrose in St. Lucia again. Had such a great day on his tour the last time. We're going to do the Land & Sea version since we did the Jalousie Beach Break the last time. Right now St. Kitts and St. Maarten are "open" but there's so much we want to do so we're trying to decide.

In Barbados.... yes it was JP's Taxi service but the main contact and the lady that drove us was Patsie Nurse. I think it is her company. I will try to send you her contact info she was great.

Patsietaxi@hotmail.com is her email and her cell number..... 246-264-7413 or 264-571-8291 Give her a try and tell her I sent you.

Don't mean to hijack, but saw a friend here...Buffettfan here- I think we follow & cruise very similar ships. We just sailed Liberty June 14-21, so any questions message me.. I have not yet created a review, but have photos of American Table menus & Fun a Times. we have sailed this itinerary at least 3x now.

No problem at all..... waiting for your review. Always love different perspectives on this awesome cruise.

Hi Buffettfan!

Following and cruising similar ships...we sure do, don't we? And this itinerary, it will be our third time around. Our first one in 1992 was a little different with stops in Dominica and Martinique instead of St. Lucia and St. Kitts.

We did not have this cruise planned until about 10 days ago. We cruise Valor (same itinerary out of San Juan) in 2013 and Liberty on a western last year. DH wanted to go to an AI because, his words, he didn't "want to get burned out on cruising." We agreed to AI in Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos but he hadn't booked yet. The weekend before last he mentioned "more options", three cruises, and this itinerary was one. Decision was easy peasy!!! :D

I hope you had a great time and great weather on your Liberty cruise but I can't believe its here and done already. :( I won't put pressure on for a review because I know they take time...I'll leave that to Dirkun. :) We pretty much narrowed down what we're going to do but in some of the islands it's going to be tough making a decision...that's the problem. Not "what is there to do?" but "what should we do?" Too much to see, too little time. LOL!!! Someone else I "met" through CC is also going to be on our sailing. Did you read Valentinebaby1's Valor review (October 2013) where they spent several days in PR and rented a car? They'll be sailing with us. Another one of the southern route fans just informed me on another thread that they were also almost booked on this sailing but had to change plans due to a conflict. That would have been something.

American Menu - we actually had it when we sailed Liberty last year. I was extremely bummed when the Spaghetti Carbonera was no longer on the menu (my favorite), and I also missed the Turkey Farfalle (sp???). The survey that we got from Carnival after our cruise was mainly about the American Menu, which we kind of liked overall and gave it good ratings, but I also let them know there were things we definitely missed and listed them and also asked that they always keep the Caesar Salad. Now I've seen the Spaghetti Carbonera in a few recent reviews with the American Menu...is that true? Fingers crossed.

If you have time and want to post anything (menu, Fun Times) that would be great. Thanks!

In Barbados.... yes it was JP's Taxi service but the main contact and the lady that drove us was Patsie Nurse. I think it is her company. I will try to send you her contact info she was great.

For some reason when I also tried to quote your post with the contact information for Patsie Nurse and her taxi service. Thank you! It looks like you've had great times with her and it will be nice to get to do both. I'll definitely try to contact her and I'll be sure to let her know you sent me. Thank you again.

Buffettfan, I actually do have a question about the menus and it may sound kind of strange, but here goes. :o Spaghetti Carbonara is my all-time favorite & I know they have it during one of the formal (American Feast) nights...do you remember if it was the first or the second? On our past three cruises we've had dinner on Lido on the formal nights to cut down on packing to make sure those suitcases are under 50 pounds. We want to avoid those overweight fees. We'd like to go to one of the formal nights on this cruise but I'm actually basing that on which night Spaghetti Carbonara is served. :)

Dirkgun, getting ready to email Patsie now. I tried reserving a tour with Spencer Ambrose this time (the land/sea) as well. That was last Friday. I received the automated reply that states reservations aren't final until we received an email from Spencer. They also instructed to allow 48 hours (or two days) before trying to contact them again. We haven't heard from Spencer yet. We're putting some consideration in for the weekend and I'll try to make contact again this week if I don't hear back today but I don't want to pester them either. Can you remember if they got right back to you on your latest cruise or if it took longer than expected? In May 2013, we heard back from him later the same evening that we tried to book. I know we're kind of late this time (2 months out - think it was 3 months last time) but do know that Liberty will be the only ship in port for St. Lucia and the others. I know we can always go with Cosol or one of the others, but we went with Spencer the last time and would like to stick with them if possible.

Buffettfan, I actually do have a question about the menus and it may sound kind of strange, but here goes. :o Spaghetti Carbonara is my all-time favorite & I know they have it during one of the formal (American Feast) nights...do you remember if it was the first or the second? On our past three cruises we've had dinner on Lido on the formal nights to cut down on packing to make sure those suitcases are under 50 pounds. We want to avoid those overweight fees. We'd like to go to one of the formal nights on this cruise but I'm actually basing that on which night Spaghetti Carbonara is served. :)

Trying to get at least menus uploaded for cruise soon. Spaghetti Carbonera is served on first formal night on Liberty sea day Tues. don't worry about clothes,saw suits,but my DH wore dress pants,shoes and a dress shirt. I threw a lightweight going to a wedding type dress and sandals I already was wearing around ship. As far as dressing up for photos- the casual night photos are more natural anyway. Also saw pants & polo shirts on formal night,it's your vacation enjoy.

P.s. Sunday on embarkation day is Italian theme- there is Penne Alfrono that is particularly good.

Trying to get at least menus uploaded for cruise soon. Spaghetti Carbonera is served on first formal night on Liberty sea day Tues. don't worry about clothes,saw suits,but my DH wore dress pants,shoes and a dress shirt. I threw a lightweight going to a wedding type dress and sandals I already was wearing around ship. As far as dressing up for photos- the casual night photos are more natural anyway. Also saw pants & polo shirts on formal night,it's your vacation enjoy.

P.s. Sunday on embarkation day is Italian theme- there is Penne Alfrono that is particularly good.

Thank you! My DH has a couple suits but I've got nothing really fancy, probably similar to what you wore, going to a wedding type. He also takes dress pants/shirts but will relay this info to him and let him decide. We're going to see what we can do for dinner on embarkation. I'm really hoping to be along the walkway along the water coming from El Moro at sunset (for pictures) and really hoping to get pictures of Liberty all lit up as it's getting dark. I really wanted to do that when on Valor but it rained. It could rain again and I'd love to try the Penne Alfrono. Again, thank you! :)

Patsietaxi@hotmail.com is her email and her cell number..... 246-264-7413 or 264-571-8291 Give her a try and tell her I sent you.

Hi...I have another quick question about the Barbados tour. :) I've been in touch with Patsie and just sent her a few more questions about the timing. What we want to do is Payne's Bay Beach for a couple hours and then Bathsheba for a couple. She said she will stop at Cherry Hill on the way. I just went back to your first Victory review (the one that got me wanting to do this itinerary) where you went to Bathsheba. Do you remember how long it takes to get there? Is there enough time for say, an hour and a half to spend there? Oh, I let Patsie know that you and your family recommended them and let you know that you said to tell her "hello". She asked me to please say "hello" to all of you. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Hi...I have another quick question about the Barbados tour. :) I've been in touch with Patsie and just sent her a few more questions about the timing. What we want to do is Payne's Bay Beach for a couple hours and then Bathsheba for a couple. She said she will stop at Cherry Hill on the way. I just went back to your first Victory review (the one that got me wanting to do this itinerary) where you went to Bathsheba. Do you remember how long it takes to get there? Is there enough time for say, an hour and a half to spend there? Oh, I let Patsie know that you and your family recommended them and let you know that you said to tell her "hello". She asked me to please say "hello" to all of you. Thanks again for your help.

Yeah that tour (from 2010) was a little crazy because the driver did not go the way he told us originally then he did not want to do it. So it was a crazy ride because he wanted to do it quick. I looked it up on google maps and it says from Paynes bay to Bathsheba it about a 30 minute drive. So it is very do able for a couple of hours at both places. Even stopping at Cherry hill.... ( I posted a few pictures from there this last review) It is a very picturesque setting and over look. I am so jealous. Bathsheba is a cool thing to see, so different than the other side of the island.

Yeah that tour (from 2010) was a little crazy because the driver did not go the way he told us originally then he did not want to do it. So it was a crazy ride because he wanted to do it quick. I looked it up on google maps and it says from Paynes bay to Bathsheba it about a 30 minute drive. So it is very do able for a couple of hours at both places. Even stopping at Cherry hill.... ( I posted a few pictures from there this last review) It is a very picturesque setting and over look. I am so jealous. Bathsheba is a cool thing to see, so different than the other side of the island.

Thank you, good to know about the distance. I was afraid it would take over an hour to get there as it's kind of hard to judge distances on a map at times. You need to take into consideration of road conditions/traffic. Cherry Hill...I do remember the overlook in you latest review and after hearing back from Patsie I was wondering it it was the same one she mentioned and it was. I actually went back again today to that part of your review. The views from there are gorgeous and totally different from what we've seen in Barbados. I had never heard of Bathsheba until recently and it may have even been your January 2010 review where I first saw it (pictures) then I did more research on it. That is what is so nice about CC...so many things I'd never have known about, I'm finding out and getting ideas for things to see and do to make the most out of our cruises. Now just debating on whether to give Spencer a few more days or contact him now. I really don't want to be a pest and I know we can go with someone else, but they were great the last time and I'd love to use them again if we can.

Thank you, good to know about the distance. I was afraid it would take over an hour to get there as it's kind of hard to judge distances on a map at times. You need to take into consideration of road conditions/traffic. Cherry Hill...I do remember the overlook in you latest review and after hearing back from Patsie I was wondering it it was the same one she mentioned and it was. I actually went back again today to that part of your review. The views from there are gorgeous and totally different from what we've seen in Barbados. I had never heard of Bathsheba until recently and it may have even been your January 2010 review where I first saw it (pictures) then I did more research on it. That is what is so nice about CC...so many things I'd never have known about, I'm finding out and getting ideas for things to see and do to make the most out of our cruises. Now just debating on whether to give Spencer a few more days or contact him now. I really don't want to be a pest and I know we can go with someone else, but they were great the last time and I'd love to use them again if we can.

I agree CC is a great resource for info. If Spencer has not gotten back with you I would email him again definitely. Also remind him of the other time/s you have been with him... he will give you discount and special considerations if he can. He is a great guy.

I agree CC is a great resource for info. If Spencer has not gotten back with you I would email him again definitely. Also remind him of the other time/s you have been with him... he will give you discount and special considerations if he can. He is a great guy.

I sent them (Spencer) another email yesterday afternoon and still haven't heard back (not even in our "spam" folder). I'm heading out of town to my hometown to visit family & friends for a week (leaving DH behind...has to save that vacation for vacation) and if I don't hear back by the time I return, then we may have to book elsewhere. I really don't want to but we don't want to be stuck without a tour either...St. Lucia is just too beautiful to waste the day in port. Also looking at Carnival excursions but nothing is really "jumping out". May consider Cosol if they still have room. We know others through CC who are on our sailing and they're booked with Cosol already. This just seems so unlike Spencer though. We did let them know that we were returning guests and I let them know who we were and when we were there. DH said there is a possibility they are already booked but maybe waiting to see if someone cancels out so they can book us. A discount would be nice but we weren't expecting one.

On a brighter note...we officially booked with Patsie last night for Barbados...really looking forward to it. Thank you for your assistance with that.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I sent them (Spencer) another email yesterday afternoon and still haven't heard back (not even in our "spam" folder). I'm heading out of town to my hometown to visit family & friends for a week (leaving DH behind...has to save that vacation for vacation) and if I don't hear back by the time I return, then we may have to book elsewhere. I really don't want to but we don't want to be stuck without a tour either...St. Lucia is just too beautiful to waste the day in port. Also looking at Carnival excursions but nothing is really "jumping out". May consider Cosol if they still have room. We know others through CC who are on our sailing and they're booked with Cosol already. This just seems so unlike Spencer though. We did let them know that we were returning guests and I let them know who we were and when we were there. DH said there is a possibility they are already booked but maybe waiting to see if someone cancels out so they can book us. A discount would be nice but we weren't expecting one.

On a brighter note...we officially booked with Patsie last night for Barbados...really looking forward to it. Thank you for your assistance with that.

That really is very unusual for Spencer. When I booked with him last year he responded within two days. This year I had a few questions before booking and he also replied within two days. Are you using the web page form or direct Email?? Maybe try both...

That really is very unusual for Spencer. When I booked with him last year he responded within two days. This year I had a few questions before booking and he also replied within two days. Are you using the web page form or direct Email?? Maybe try both...

Hello Stinger-pr! I actually used both. I did their web form and then received confirmation email letting me know that my request was received but also stated:

"Within the next 24-48 hours, you will receive a personal response from Spencer. In this email price, availability, time and pick-up location will be confirmed. A space for you is not reserved until you receive this email. If you do not receive an email confirmation within 48 hours, please check your spam folder before contacting Spencer."

That was last Friday and yesterday afternoon I sent an inquiry on the status to the email address I have for them and same one that the confirmation came from. I did just notice the "contact us" section on their website. I might give that a try.

Stinger-pr, here's our email if you wanted to try to meet up to say hello while we're in San Juan on 9/19 & 9/20: dgieh@comcast.net Thanks again for the information, I'll try their webpage and see.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Hello Stinger-pr! I actually used both. I did their web form and then received confirmation email letting me know that my request was received but also stated:

"Within the next 24-48 hours, you will receive a personal response from Spencer. In this email price, availability, time and pick-up location will be confirmed. A space for you is not reserved until you receive this email. If you do not receive an email confirmation within 48 hours, please check your spam folder before contacting Spencer."

That was last Friday and yesterday afternoon I sent an inquiry on the status to the email address I have for them and same one that the confirmation came from. I did just notice the "contact us" section on their website. I might give that a try.

Stinger-pr, here's our email if you wanted to try to meet up to say hello while we're in San Juan on 9/19 & 9/20: dgieh@comcast.net Thanks again for the information, I'll try their webpage and see.

I would try again. I did mine on Tuesday and received my confirmation email late last night.

I would try again. I did mine on Tuesday and received my confirmation email late last night.

Thanks CrazyMutherTrucker. Since I sent email yesterday, I went through the inquiry form on Spencer's website just now and sent it. This is rather short notice since our cruise is on 9/20/15 so he could be booked. We'd just like to know so we can go through with a backup plan if there is still time. When is your cruise? Hopefully you have more time to plan. :)

Thanks CrazyMutherTrucker. Since I sent email yesterday, I went through the inquiry form on Spencer's website just now and sent it. This is rather short notice since our cruise is on 9/20/15 so he could be booked. We'd just like to know so we can go through with a backup plan if there is still time. When is your cruise? Hopefully you have more time to plan. :)

Mine is out of San Juan on 9-20!!!!! Going to be in St Lucia 9-24.

I just booked a few days ago with Spencer directly through his website. I got the automated response immediately after I requested the reservation and then within two days I got the reservation confirmation and directions on where to meet him.

Mine is out of San Juan on 9-20!!!!! Going to be in St Lucia 9-24.

We're on the same cruise! :D We just booked it the weekend of July 4 and everything was finalized later that week. Nothing like booking last minute. It's going to be great though.

I am so jealous of both of you..... I really want to go again for my 50th in may of 2016 but don't really want to go on the Fascination.... Want to wait until the Victory goes back there in November or maybe in 2017 :eek::(

I just booked a few days ago with Spencer directly through his website. I got the automated response immediately after I requested the reservation and then within two days I got the reservation confirmation and directions on where to meet him.

You will love this excursion. Have you ever been to St Lucia? If so you know what to expect.... if not you are in for a great treat. It is one of the best excursions in the Caribbean and Spencer is such a great host.

Just posting an update about our booking with Spencer...it's a go! :D The confirmation email was sent, twice, and we just never received it. They thought there may have been computer issues on their (Spencer's) end, but seeing as how others received their confirmation emails, we're beginning to think the problem is on our end. There was a "microsoft update" about a month and a half ago that really messed up our computer, requiring a new modem and a lot of work on DH's part. We have heard from Spencer himself and their website administrator and both confirmed we are booked for that date. We had such a great time on the "Jalousie Beach Break" last time and are really looking forward to the Land & Sea tour.